Painting new downspouts

Hi All,

My old downspouts are peeling badly. Rather than scrape and paint, I decided to get new ones. While I hate to thrash the old perfectly good spouts, paint cleanup is no fun.

Question: Do I need to paint the new downspouts? They are aluminum and already painted white, with whatever paint was used. Very thin coat. They are from HD. Is the paint on them durable, or is it just a coat of primer?

Regards,

RichK

Reply to
RichK

If it has a slight gloss to it, it is not a primer but final coat. and should last. A few years ago I could not find brown down spouts so I bought white and sanded with 400 grit (very lightly) then rubbed them down with denatured alcohol, then painted with Krylon in the spray can (two light coats) (flat brown) they still look great

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Mine still look good after 29 years. I have no idea what brand they are but yours will last a long time also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Of course yours are were not from HD, but I'd be very happy with 2/3 of that :-)

RichK

Reply to
RichK

This is a little off topic, but at my local hardware store, they charge more for thin sheet metal downspouts than they do for thick- walled ABS pipe, which is very paintable.

Now that I think about it, it may explain why you don't see round metal downspouts for sale very often. Maybe manufacturers can't compete with ABS pipe.

Reply to
mike