Painting molding near carpet

I know - it should be done before the carpet goes down, but in one room, I don't have a choice at the moment. Anyone have any amazing tricks to avoid getting paint on the carpet while painting the molding? I've already imagined some schemes with the blue tape, but I'm open to new ideas, or to someone else doing the job. (Teenage son says "Me?")
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:36:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

If your paint is molding you have a moisture problem. Is the carpet wet? Is this a poured concrete floor. You got water leaking in somewhere. You will need to find the leak and fix it. After that, use some KILZ to stop the mold after scrubbing the area first.
beerman@________.com wrote:

Jeezus...
I believe he means moulding.
Mask off the carpet, or use a paint shield. If you are hand painting, just use the paint shield and keep it clean.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

He wants to paint MOLDING not MOLDY MOLDING.

I think the responder was just deadpanning a response. Is everybody really so humor-impaired?

It's the macho way to be. :-)

that under the molding, over the carpet and paint a short section. Important to wipe the knife off before inserting it for the next section and not to paint too close to the either end of the blade. They also make a long knife similar to this for wall papering that is suppose to be good for this but I've had no luck with one of those as it doesn't stick out far enough from the molding when inserted and paint gets all over it and then on the carpet when re inserted. Also the mud knife has a much longer handle making it easier to use. Tom.

Doug Kanter wrote:

i use a gloss coated cardboard (like the boxes shirts come in) and cut these in strips. i slide them under the moulding around the entire perimiter and paint away. affer a couple of coats i score the area where the card board meets the moulding and remove. a bit more prep time but flawless every time. beats wiping off a putty knife each time i remove it.
good luck

Good idea. There's a box store nearby that sells white gift boxes - the kind they give you at department stores around christmas. Sounds like the same thing, and much cheaper than going out and buying 26 shirts. :-)
Two ways that have worked for me:
Slide some aluminum flashing between the rug and the molding; paint and remove flashing when paint dries.
Or remove molding paint it outside and replace when paint dries

Thanks. I considered removing the moulding (spelling it correctly now), but these are plaster walls. I'm very good at repairing plastic, but....I'd rather not do it again. :-)
I always just use masking tape. It takes a minute to get the touch, but I put the tape too close to the moulding [before pressing it down] and then pull it and the carpet back where I want it.
Doug Kanter wrote:

To be 100% safe? I'd rather remove the moulding to paint and reinstall. Easier done than thought. Good luck. Tony

Take a thin piece of metal about 18" long, such as a Venetian blind slat, and push down on it to press the carpet out of the way. After painting that section, move it down. Clean it off often.
I just went through this. Use two inch wide blue masking tape. Place it as close as you can to the moulding and then press it down hard. Use a wide putty knife or equivalent to really press it down right next to the moulding. I actually let a tiny bit of tape overlap the moulding since it would be pulled off the moulding and onto the carpeting when I used the knife. The idea is to cover the carpet and press it down enough so that it stays down just a bit with the tape on it. After the paint dries and you pull up the tape, you will see two things. The first is that the carpet will spring back to just above the bottom of the painted area so you won't be able to see any line. The second is that the carpet will be cleaner where the tape was as the tape will have pulled up any dirt.
Good luck.

This is probably in one of the many posted replies: Find a slat from some old vertical blinds, slide it under and paint away.
Thanks to all of your for some great ideas.