Oxygen concentrator sound level

Page 1 of 3
We now have an oxygen concentrator in our house and it is noisy. What have any of you seen or done to reduce the sound output from one of these machines?
www.invacare.com/Platinum_10_Concentrator
Thanks.
On 7/22/2016 6:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Can't see page. Is this US? Thought machines were quieter.

Yes it's US. Use the link that Taxed and Spent posted -- his works.
They claim to be quiet but it's relative. It is quieter than rolling along beside an 18 wheeler at 60 MPH but it's difficult to get to sleep with it running, even in when it's in a different room.

Portable?
I just saw a 20-year neighbor last night and for the first time he had a portable one. There were two people sitting between me and him, at a table, plus it was probably on the far side of him, and I didn't hear it. The guy retired from the fire department on disability years ago, and he's seemed fine all this time, but I resisted drawing conclusions. But he probably was, and I guess for sure he is now.

No, it's for use in the home -- stationary.
http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?s=0&prodID=IRC10LXO2&catOID=-536890256

I've been looking at those. I've only been on oxygen therapy for about 4 months and haven't decided if I want to spend 3 grand on one of those units to replace the cylinders. Maybe some day.
On 7/22/2016 3:32 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

That can't be! "Quiet oxygen concentrator includes Invacare HomeFill system port for inventory flexibility."
http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?s=0&prodID=IRC10LXO2&catOID=-536890256
I have no idea - did the company say that your unit is "quiet"?
On 7/22/2016 6:49 PM, Taxed and Spent wrote:

I see site from your url. Says quiet and another site says 58 dB which may be about normal speaking voice level or a refrigerator running. Maybe not real noisy but could be a problem when sleeping. I'd probably locate the unit outside the bed room or use ear plugs.
Oxygen output can be more than most people need and I believe there are portable battery operated units that are much smaller.
Many years ago before these units were available I almost had to use oxygen at home but fortunately didn't. It could be a pain with tanks and liquid delivered to your house and lines running all over the house.

The rep that delivered it (we don't own it we rent it) said "You'll get used to it." He said the one the VA uses is "a little quieter, but not much." The nearest VA is about 60 miles away and for "a little quieter" I'm reluctant to get involved with the VA.
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:21:51 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I will assume that you choose not to engage...or you have me blocked. You're not my favorite either, but I have worked on these at a nursing home. Maintenance for 16 yrs.

Neither. See my response to one of your other posts in this thread.
On 7/22/2016 4:47 PM, bob_villain wrote:

You're not my favorite either, but I have worked on these at a nursing home.
Maintenance for 16 yrs.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I need some help with an oxygen concentrator. I'm finding almost zero info on the machine. I've asked around at medical stores. They all seem paranoid and don't want to offer any advice at all. They claim they just send them back to the vendor for service. That ain't gonna happen.
I bought it at a garage sale with the intention of using it as an oxygen generator for a small oxy-propane torch. They claimed it worked. Date codes suggest that it's little used.
Invacare XPO100 Software version 3 PM due 9/2018
Was missing external filter. Internal filter is dirty, but not restrictive. Removing it didn't fix error.
Press to level 5 Press + and Battery Level to put into continuous mode. Runs about 30 seconds until error Error Code: 3 and 4 lights on. Pressing + and - gives no secondary error code. Manual says Abnormal Compressor Operation. It does seem to put out something, but it's not concentrated oxygen. Apparently, they take a while to "get up to speed."
It has a demand sensor, but I'm not about to suck on it. No idea what killed the previous owner. ;-) I thought continuous mode would eliminate the possibility that it requires demand.
Is this thing fixable? Would be nice if it's just operator error. I don't need any medical certifications, just oxygen that makes propane burn hotter.

You can get the owners manual here http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?prodID=XPO100
Yes, most medical places send them back for certified repair shops since they are dealing with a medical device. Potential liability if you FUp
It may require you to be breathing on a cannula even in continuous mode, but I don't know for sure. I did not read the manual. Many portable units give oxygen only when the patient is breathing in and stop when they exhale.
I have no idea how you intend to use this with a torch. Unlike a tank, there is no real pressure or regulation.
On 7/23/2016 4:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you had read the manual, you'd know that it's mostly safety fluff and "press go" information. There's one page on diagnostics and I published the results of that in my first post. There is a continuous mode that should not require demand, but the manual is vague on exactly what that means. Was hoping to get more definitive info from our 16-year veteran fixing them.

Well, that is an unknown. The experimental plan goes something like. Concentric inverted tin cans with water fill. Concentrator displaces the water to fill the apparatus. Put a weight on top to get the desired pressure. Light the torch. It's a tiny torch, so probably don't need much oxygen at all. Just want it hotter.
I figgered $10 for an oxygen concentrator was a low risk impulse purchase. They swore it worked...yeah right... And, maybe I'll need one some day and can have it refurbed.

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Might be different where you are (I'm in N. central Arkansas) , but I have nothing but good things to say about VA medical care . Because I live more than 40 miles from the nearest facility , they set me up with an appointment with a local (and very very good) Ortho guy to look at the torn muscles in my arm . My visits to the nearest facility for annual physical checkups have also been great - and no extended waits for an appointment .
--
Snag

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 5:33:46 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

We had these in a nursing facility, ask kindly for another unit. They become more noisy after they have been worked-on and their aging process. New ones are definitely quieter. I'm assuming this is a rental unit? If you bought it, you can put a longer tube/extension, and put it in another room. You shouldn't enclose it.

Yes, it's a rental unit. It has a 50 foot hose on it and it's down the hall and in the family room about 40 feet away, but it's a lot noisier than a mouse pissin' on a blotter. :-(
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 6:40:46 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

They have a compressor in them and can become noisy...I would ask for another unit, preferably, newer.

I originally had a 5 liter unit, with about 29,000 hours, and the Homefill II companion. When I complained about the lengthy time required to fill the tanks I was given the 10 liter unit that had about 1500 hours on the clock. It was noticeably quieter but still not what I would classify as quiet.
I was told the Homefill II system required a minimum of 2 LPM to fill the tanks and could use up to 3 LPM. With my need of 3 LPM that put the Homefill II system getting only the minimum for oxygen.
I was hoping there was some sort of sound absorbing material that could be placed near the unit, not encapsulating it, to help reduce the noise.
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 8:57:25 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Alf, is this a sleeping issue? Have you tried 3M ear plugs?

Hehe, not many seem to remember Alf. Yes, it is a sleeping issue, more for my wife than me though. I'll suggest the ear plugs to her... again.
BTW, I know I'm not your favorite. Uncle Monster always was. ;-)