Oven bulb lube

Page 1 of 2
After changing oven light bulb, the threads seemed gritty and rough. Hard to turn the bulb. What's a lube that withstands oven heat, and is safe?

I have used a light silicone wipe. Grease with TFE.The bulbs usually have a glass cover, so the socket may not get over 400 degrees. Maybe a light non oily graphite.
Oven light lubricant. If it says that, it might work.
Greg
Tell me about light, non oily graphite. I'm not sure I've heard of this.
I have used a light silicone wipe. Grease with TFE.The bulbs usually have a glass cover, so the socket may not get over 400 degrees. Maybe a light non oily graphite.
Oven light lubricant. If it says that, it might work.
Greg
Yes.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ever used graphite powder to lube a lock?

And for using on light bulbs it comes in a stick with a wooden covering so your fingers don't get dirty.
Jim
Can you put it on, in such a way that the bulb doesn't short out? Graphite is conductive.

And for using on light bulbs it comes in a stick with a wooden covering so your fingers don't get dirty.
Jim

Based upon experience in a former life working in the complaint dept. of a light bulb manufacturer, I can say that a silicone lubricant is fine (let it dry if you spray it on the base of the bulb before putting the bulb in the socket); but stay away from graphite which, as was pointed out, is electrically conductive. Yes, silicone is an insulator; but screwing the bulb into the socket scrapes enough of the silicone off to make a good electrical contact.
Tomsic
Thanks, that sounds like real information.
Based upon experience in a former life working in the complaint dept. of a light bulb manufacturer, I can say that a silicone lubricant is fine (let it dry if you spray it on the base of the bulb before putting the bulb in the socket); but stay away from graphite which, as was pointed out, is electrically conductive. Yes, silicone is an insulator; but screwing the bulb into the socket scrapes enough of the silicone off to make a good electrical contact.
Tomsic

While I was t my nearby hardware store, I picked up a pack of 60's, 100's, and one 300 watt. Don't intend all if them for light. Been a while side I replaced 40 watt appliance bulbs.
My local hardware is called Bargain Corner. Been there at least 40 years.
Greg
On 11/19/2012 7:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

High temp grease or a light film of anti-seize compound on the bulb threads. ^_^
TDD
One email friend suggested spark plug thread lube. Wonder if that's the kind of high temp grease you mean?
High temp grease or a light film of anti-seize compound on the bulb threads. ^_^
TDD
On 11/20/2012 7:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That IS anti-seize compound. ^_^
TDD
But, is it high temp grease?
On 11/20/2012 7:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That IS anti-seize compound. ^_^
TDD

Just today I was looking or a load for my new inverter. Found lamp with clamp, bulb was very hard to get out. Found 100 watt bulb. In the mean time I looked up on the shelf for some kind of spray. I would have used WD-40 if It was there. This old can I have not used for years. Elmers dry spray with TFE. Spray, and worked the bulb. Socket works now. http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Elmer-s-E450-Dry-Lubricant-Spray-With-Teflon/188140/Cat/406
Don't use anti-seize.
Greg

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Elmer-s-E450-Dry-Lubricant-Spray-With-Teflon/188140/Cat/406
I don't think I would do it in an oven,but for bulbs that are hard to remove, if you spray the socket with the bulb in it with some penetrating oil such as Kroil and wait about 30 seconds it will screw out very easy. We do this at work on some of the 150 to 400 watt Mercury Vapor and other types of bulbs. Just a quick shot between the bulb and socket will do it.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:21:47 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The fat from chopped up Mormons who were sent ot the ovens.
Jew think that vould verk?
The fat from chopped up Mormons who were sent ot the ovens.
On 11/19/2012 08:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

WD-41
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, Corning Si heat sink grease.
Where would I find a small serving of heat sink grease? Under the sink, I know, I know.
Hi, Corning Si heat sink grease.