Outside Window Shutters?

I'm planing to put window shutters on the street facing outside windows this spring and have some questions (the exterior of the house has flat wood composition siding): Wood or plastic? What is the easiest way to install them? What are some good online sources? Thank you for your suggestions.

Reply to
ron

On Mon 04 Feb 2008 02:21:30p, ron told us...

I suppose it's really a matter of preference. We have flat wood siding and we installed prefinished heavy guage plastic shutters. The mounting hardware was included and the installation was a snap. You can also buy pastic shutters with a primer coat should you wish to custom paint them.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

ron wrote in news:fa25d334-0c57-45a7-b3d5- snipped-for-privacy@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

You will find wood is expensive. Wood rots. Especially if the shutter has no overhand above it the tops will rot.

Plastic ones are cheap. Borg has them.

(note: the installation link on their website is bad. Use the one I provided)

Reply to
Red Green

There are pros and cons to both. Vinyl shutters can't close over the window. If that is what you want you will need to go with wood or composite shutters.

However, as Red Green pointed out, wood shutters cost more and they can rot. Composite shutters are made to prevent rotting.

Installation also depends on whether they will be operable or decorative shutters.

My favorite online source to buy shutters is

I called them and ordered composite shutters even though they don't have them on their website. Call them if you are looking for something that you don't see or if you have questions.

Reply to
NightOwl888