Outside mercury vapor light flickering

Are they going to get the Lexx and Captain Stanley Tweedle to blow up the planet Mercury? :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

JIMMIE posted for all of us...

I had that arrangement years ago but they would only mount it to the street= =20 side pole 100 ft away. Not much good for our purpose. But thanks for the= =20 suggestion!

--=20 Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Don Klipstein posted for all of us...

ote

And so the answer is? It's like pulling teeth; wait a minute the fillings = have=20 mercury.

--=20 Tekkie

Reply to
Tekkie®

ide quoted text -

WOW FP&L put it up right in my backyard.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

My mercury vapor light, installed by local electric company MANY years ago, just started blinking off & on intermittently. Since it’s their equipment, shouldn’t they be the ones to repair it?

Reply to
adhazelett

What did your agreement with them say?

Reply to
micky

Need more details. Did you pay to have it installed? Where is it installed? What was the agreement prior/after installation? Is it on your property?

Reply to
Mario

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 06:02:58 +0000, adhazelett posted for all of us to digest...

It needs to be replaced. Who owns it? You or the PoCo? Is on your meter? Is it mounted to a pole or one of your buildings? If yours get an LED replacement.

Reply to
Tekkie©

About a year ago a tree branch knocked out my outdoor light. Put in a request via the internet to get it repaired. A man came out and replaced the MV with a LED type. No charge for that. This is for Duke Energey in NC.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's pretty surprising that a light on your property would get such good treatment. And replacing it with something that uses a lot less eletrity afaik when their business is selling electricity. Is Duke consumer-owned, perhaps?

Reply to
micky

It is their light and I think I pay close to $ 10 per month for it. It is on a pole by its self about 25 feet tall and about 150 feet of wire goes to it from the main line. Duke is not consumer-owned,but is listed on the stock exchange. It was out only about 2 days from the time I put in a work order.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Used to be common for "dusk to dawn" yard lights to be provided to farms and other enterprises on a "flat Rate" basis by the electrical utility - BEFORE the meter - in which case lower power usage is in the utility's best interest

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Like I said - flat rate non-metered dusk to dawn lights - definitely in Duke's favor to use a low power unit - particularly when it costs them less than a new mercury lamp / ballast assembly.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes this is a flat rate light that is the automatic dusk to dawn light. The wires go directly to the main line and there is no meter or off/on switch other than the light sensor at the top of the pole. I have no control of it at all. The less the power company has in it and the power it uses, the more they make. I seem to remember that they are in the process of changing from MV to LED for all those lights.

The light lights up the back yard. It was here when we bought the house and at the time I was working about 7 nights a month so my wife wanted to keep it. Probably should have it cut off now, but I am out in the country and the only close house is about 200 feet away.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It all makes sense now.

Reply to