Outside Lighting

I currently have an outside light with a single pole switch, what I want to do is install another outside light over the garage in series with the existing light and switch and also add another switch in the garage to control both lights.

I have found some schematic on the web but I want to sure before I attempt this that I have the correct information. I believe what I'm installing is the typical circuit that you would have for a hallway light that is controlled by two switches.

Any info would be great.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
SCM

On 12/17/2004 10:29 AM US(ET), SCM took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You need 3 way switches and 3 way cable (containing white, black, red, and ground wires).

willshak

Steve:

In the world of electricity, "series" is different than "parallel", so make sure you understand the difference. In the situation you describe, 99.99% of homeowners would really rather have a parallel connection instead of putting the lights in "series" as you describe.

Otherwise, your describing what in the US is called a circuit controlled by three-way switches from 2 locations. The term "three-way" switch is very old and does not accurately describe what is basically a single pole double throw switch. The two wires between the switches are called "travelers" and the code requires that the switches be placed in the "hot" wire, never the neutral (white) wires.

With modern wiring devices, there are some variations available for controlling lights from 2 or more points.

Leviton makes a Decora Style Timer that also functions as a switch. Because logic has been wired into the Leviton module, the second switch can be a simple spst switch, which means you can run only one wire if you want (if the 2nd switchbox has a neutral).

Another option is X10 which sends coded digital signals along existing wires.

(one of many suppliers)

With X10, dimming and wireless options are available.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Steve:

S > I currently have an outside light with a single pole switch, what I want to S > do is install another outside light over the garage in series with the S > existing light and switch and also add another switch in the garage to S > control both lights. S > S > I have found some schematic on the web but I want to sure before I attempt S > this that I have the correct information. I believe what I'm installing is S > the typical circuit that you would have for a hallway light that is S > controlled by two switches. S > S > Any info would be great.

Nope: you're going to have to add another wire to act as the 'traveller" for the three-way switch circuit. As this is probably going to be more of a bother than it's worth you might want to look into wireless controllers such as X-10's. Radio Shack offers some basic X-10 devices; you can also check at x10.com and smarthome.com

  • HORATIO: Numerical relation of hookers to clients.
Reply to
barry martin

... | | Nope: you're going to have to add another wire to act as the | 'traveller" for the three-way switch circuit. As this is probably | going to be more of a bother than it's worth you might want to look | into wireless controllers such as X-10's. Radio Shack offers some | basic X-10 devices; you can also check at x10.com and smarthome.com ...

Just FYI, but ... X-10 was a very prolific spam supporter early on when I made myself the promise I would never buy their product and would spread the word at every opportunity. There are better, more reliable manufacturers out there than X-10, as in, anyone.

Just my two pence

Pop

Reply to
Pop