outside pole light led

im trying to hook up my new led outside dusk to dawn light..the power cable runs from top of house to the pole..its two thick wires..my light has black(hot) white(neut) and green(ground)...what do i hook the green one coming out of fixture to? ground...what

Reply to
illhillbilly78

Are there any other wires coming to that pole from anyplace? The yard light/meter pole on my farm has a trio of wires coming from the transformer pole, for example. Is the pole for your light wooden or steel?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Put it on GFCI and as they say in Trader Land "Fugettabout it"

Reply to
gfretwell

Sounds like the easiest, cheapest solution. Otherwise run a new line that has a ground. Even then, IDK what could requires these, maybe you need a GFCI for that new line anyway? Fretwell?

Reply to
trader_4

I was wondering if the light needs to be grounded if it's on a wooden pole and x feet off of the ground.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If he runs a new line he needs an EGC but if it is existing the sense of the code seems to be a GFCI is sufficient. (based on how they deal with replacement receptacles). OTOH if the light is double insulated, you don't need a ground.

Reply to
gfretwell