our country needs a new type of firearm for police

I typo'ed "obey" pretty bad. :'(

Just released information though, reveals a gun. You may want to hold off on your opinion. Video does not show him pointing it, but the gun had his fingerprints and dna on it.

Why was she arrested? I don't recall the case but it is easy to give your solution sitting at the keyboard. Don't know what was justified.

They have priorities, such as protecting their lives and others nearby. They are at risk while the perp is free to react in a negative way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah. I agree with you!

Reply to
Muggles

Yah, just read a couple bible verses to the perp and they'd immediately confess and surrender.

Reply to
Crybaby Liberal

Per Crybaby Liberal:

I think you are missing the points:

- There may have been more pressure bombs ready to go off.

- The wacko in the boat would know where those bombs were.

- It would be important to extract the location of those bombs from the wacko in the boat.

- The wacko in the boat was already totally under control of the I-don't-know-how-many (hundreds?) of armed LEOs surrounding the boat: he didn't need to surrender, he was already "Had".

- Killing the wacko in the boat would prevent extracting that information about the location of other bombs.

I note that the recent incident in NYC resulted in the capture of the perpetrator alive instead of his death.

In the interviews I have watched, Bratton seemed to have his head screwed on better than most - a *lot* better IMHO...and I have to wonder if maybe he has drilled it into the NYPD cops that we want to interrogate these guys and not kill them outright.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Its easy to Monday morning quarterback. The guy shot in the car had a gun. If they backed off, then he drove off and people were killed in a high sp eed chase,or he shot someone,then what? The cops told him to drop the gun, he didn't. They had the advantage,they ended it right there when he present ed a deadly threat.

The girl, they could have handled it differently,but I'm surprised you thin k waiting hours for her to comply is an option. They aren't babysitters an d if she was my kid I'd tell her that i hope she learned a lesson.

Reply to
trader_4

The undeniable reason is that they are about 3 times more likely to commit a crime than whites.

You're the one that is blind to the facts.

This is just a guess... because they were breaking the law.

Please enlighten us how things are so wonderful in Germany with all of their Muslim refugees.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That will be considered by many to be a racist statement. There are some socio-economic reasons behind it though.

According to Mac Donald, "A straight line can be drawn between family breakdown and youth violence."

As economist Thomas Sowell points out, before the 1960s "most black children were raised in two-parent families." In 2013, over 72 percent of blacks were born out of wedlock. In Cook County ?which Chicago belongs to ? 79 percent of blacks were born to single mothers in 2003, while only 15 percent of whites were born to single mothers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The voltage applied by the taser isn't going to disable a large person, let alone one on PCP (if he was). A much higher voltage output one like 1+ million volts will, regardless of whatever drugs you might be doing. It's more than enough to overcome whatever resistance your body has to electricity and even takes into consideration the barbs making poor contact. It'll arc and complete the circuit, making you piss/shit yourself with ease. Yes, it's a bit more likely to kill you if you have a heart condition or are on drugs, but, it's LESS likely to kill you than several bullets being fired by a cop who's only trained to shoot to kill.

And, I'm sorry, but if the only thing you know how to do with a firearm is shoot to kill, it's my personal opinion, you don't have that good of control over your weapon and you shouldn't be allowed to carry it. There's plenty of spots on a human body that you can hit with a live round and disable them, without causing death in the process in many cases.

It takes time for it to get in your blood stream. You still have a chance to fire and/or otherwise harm someone.

Reply to
Diesel

It's really not even an issue of color. It's an issue of people who become police that have no business carrying.

I tend to agree. It didn't seem like a smart thing to do. Roll up that close on someone you think has a rifle on them. Had the rifle been real and the kid knew what he was doing, that could have been TWO dead cops we'd be reading about, instead. As last time I checked, nothing on the cruiser is highly bullet resistent and, most rifles I know of, have no problem putting one through the car door and into the subject 'hiding' behind it. After all, a rifle is designed to hit a target with lethal force from a distance; it has more muzzle velocity and more power pushing that round down the barrel.

IE: If I had a rifle on me (even a .223 configured one) and a single cruiser approached me like they did, I'd pump a few rounds into the drivers side windshield; Immediately taking the driver out of the game and causing loss of control of the car. At that point, the passenger is target practice. And, sorry, but, the passenger would be shot too; I know he has atleast one firearm and won't just let me 'surrender'. I just killed his friend/partner. He's going to try killing me for it, justified or not.

I'd load the passenger side door up; if not outright killing the passenger, rendering him unable to do anything to me. Then, just like the police did in 1986, Causually walk up on the near lifeless passenger and finish what I intended to do with the first few shots. He isn't going anywhere. If he/she so much as flinched, I'd finish the magazine into the door/passenger side compartment where the window once was. And quickly change mags as I continued approaching to confirm my kills.

Point being, neither of them would be going home that day, except in a body bag. If it's my life or yours, I'm going to do my best to make sure YOU lose, not me. I'd rather be judged by twelve later than carried by six, if you catch my drift.

I don't give a f*ck what your name tag said or what your reason for coming up on me like that was. I perceived a threat the moment you raced towards me and I dealt with it accordingly. Even the cops around here that I've gone shooting with know i'm a damn good shot, moving target or stationary; if I want to put a round in you, I'm going to. I'm just as deadly with a pistol as I am with a rifle, although I prefer the latter.

With all that said, I wouldn't go looking to pick a fire fight, either. But, I'll be damned if you're going to open fire on me when you don't have all the facts and not expect return fire from ME for your trouble.

Around here, they'll open fire without hesitation, white or black. It's legal murder on their part in a sense.

I noticed that too. Sadly, I've encountered people hopped up on speed and PCP before; he wasn't acting like those individuals did. I realize drugs affect people differently to a certain point... but...

Even if the prosecutor does think it's a bad shoot, he/she has other things to consider when they make their decision whether or not to press charges. They usually take the cops side unless the video evidence (when there is video evidence) can't be discounted. That's about the only time they'll go ahead and press charges against the officer. Otherwise, the officer walks away and another person becomes a statistic.

White people die by the hands of cops more often than blacks do, but, that's not exactly a story worthy of the news. Case in point, my IT associate who's pushing up daises. Btw, the cops were cleared in that case too; they thought he was reaching for something, and essentially, that seems to be their get out of a murder charge routine. And the others on the scene more often that not cover for the ones involved in the shooting. Ironically, they don't wear body cams here and I've learned that for some reason, the city cruisers neglect to have video cameras.

Reply to
Diesel

As do others. The important part being that the stats stay pretty much the same whether you are talking about white, black or other ethnicity. The controlling factor is intact or not household. This has also been steady since the 70s. Research by Sara McLanahan at Princeton University and others tells us that boys are significantly more likely to end up in jail or prison by the time they turn 30 if they are raised by a single mother. She found that boys raised in a single-parent household were more than twice as likely to be incarcerated, compared with boys raised in an intact, married home, even after controlling for differences in parental income, education, race, and ethnicity. Research on young men suggests they are less likely to engage in delinquent or illegal behavior when they have the affection, attention, and monitoring of their own mother and father.

Another researcher, Bruce Ellis of the University of Arizona found that single female head of household also had a negative impact on girls. About one-third of girls whose fathers left the home before they turned

6 ended up pregnant as teenagers, compared with just 5 percent of girls whose fathers were there throughout their childhood. The divide marrowed when controlled for parents? socioeconomic background?but only by a few percentage points. The research on this topic suggests that girls raised by single mothers are less likely to be supervised, more likely to engage in early sex, and to end up pregnant compared with girls raised by their own married parents.

For a good discussion of the topic, I send you to Slate (hardly a mouthpiece for the Right).

Kurt V. Ullman

Per Bob F:

Germany's population looks to be about 81 million

USA's population seems to be about 325 million as of 2014

The number of people killed by police in Germany during 2015 seems to be

2

The number of people killed by police in the USA seems tb fuzzy because of a lack of record keeping, but the Washington Post puts it at "Nearly

1,000)
2/81,000,000 = .0000000247 1,000/325,000,000 = .0000031000

So the USA rate is 125 times the German rate.

Can somebody check my third-grade arithmetic?

If it is correct, 125 seems like quite a high multiple even considering social differences....

??

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Hell, what isn't considered racist by the left today? If this continues it will be considered racist to take a crap because of the color of the shit.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The MA court is simply agreeing with the Supreme court at the federal level. Despite what a cop might want you to think, unless you're under arrest or being officially detained, you are free to leave. And, that includes, running. Cops rely on people knowing NOTHING about their own rights.

Diesel

The US _clearly_ has too many criminals. We need to exterminate more of them.

Reply to
Chief Soh Cah Toa

Per trader_4:

Why would waiting not be an option - especially considering the downside of video/news exposure?

Without being on Candid Camera, who cares..... beat the crap out of her....nobody would know or, at least, you would have plausible deniability.

But on camera ? A soft approach would seem to be a no-brainer.

I keep saying it: "Rodney King was over 20 years ago.... Hasn't anybody caught on yet?"

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Kurt V. Ullman:

Sometime later on in Viet-Nam, the government conscripted virtually all males over a certain age into the army.

The result was whole villages with virtually no men.

Out of that emerged a class of youths they called "Cowboys": young punks that pretty much ran the show.... similar, I guess, to gangs in certain American cities.

My anecdotal takeaway is that whenever you have male teenage kids, you need men to keep order.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Your evidence for that is? Voltage not only causes discomfort, but also causes muscles to contract involuntarily. Hard to imagine that isn't going to take a big person down. Tasers would be fairly useless if they had that restriction. And none of the perps in the incidents being discussed here were really huge to begin with. I'm not saying that tasers work perfectly, I can see obvious problems where the darts fail to connect or stay in, for example. But I doubt that they are not effective on people the size of the perps here.

A much higher voltage

It'll arc and complete

Then you've been watching too many western movies, where the sheriff manages to shoot the gun out of the hand of the perp. Police are trained to only use their gun when their life or someone else;s life is in immediate danger, and then to shoot to incapacitate. To incapacitate, you shoot for the chest, a large target that will achieve that result. That is what police are trained to do. That is what I would do with my gun if necessary.

Interesting how you go from a taser is no good against a big guy, against someone on PCP, etc, but then a bullet in one of "plenty of spots" will disable them. What would that spot be? An arm? Can you hit a moving arm at 15 ft? Why would that stop him, if a taser won't? Can you hit it, or enough other places that won't cause death, before the perp shoots and kills you? Will the perp play by the same rules?

Reply to
trader_4

Ahh! Very cool.

shrug, I've likely misworded my initial post. I'm sometimes bad about that, especially when I'm running on four hours or less of sleep for days on end. Sorry.

Nope, it did not toss me. A double barrel shotgun put me on my ass once when I squeezed both triggers at the same time though. [g]

Reply to
Diesel

snipped-for-privacy@worthless.info posted for all of us...

Please turn off your avast ad, thank you.

Reply to
Tekkie®