OT Your opinion? Giving someone a ride.

Page 3 of 7

Didn't work for us (apartment, either).

essentially,the alarm is to alert YOU,not anyone else. and you have to be prepared to confront the thieves yourself(armed,IOW),because police may not arrive in time to catch them.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 6/29/2011 10:11 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Not to mention dealing with your pissed-off neighbors who had to listen to the alarm until it reset itself, if it gets tripped when you aren't home.
--
aem sends...

wrote: ....

I found out years into it that whenever someone rang my doorbell when I wasn't home, usually the mailman, it set off my burglar alarm. Most people weren't home and no one complained. It just came up in conversation.
I foudn a nicer doorbell on sale for 60% off, so I bought it and put the other one in the basement. Then it turned out I needed a bigger doorbell transformer to run both, and when I got the bigger one it rang the main floor bell louder than the previous bell had rung, which set off the glass/wood breakage detector, and the alarm.
Didn't want to make the two detectors less sensitive, so I put a resistor in the power supply to the main floor bell. Used a potentiometer until I got a good value, measured the value of the pot at that point, and replaced it with a fixed resistor.

How does that work when you're somewhere else. Neighbors just get pissed at the noise. How many people even look when a car alarm goes off?

it doesn't. Unless you have a paging alarm.

Yeah,and if it were their car being broken into or stolen,they'd bitch and whine. GOOD neighbors look out for each other.

I do. Even at 3 AM.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I don't. A few weeks ago I did though. The third time the alarm went off I went outside, as did my neighbor across the street. The guy that owned the truck never heard anything when we told him a few days later. He had electrical problems, now fixed.
On 6/29/2011 10:56 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I used to install a lot of vehicle alarms and I would install several very loud piercing high frequency sirens inside the cab of the vehicle. I set them to put out different tone patterns so they were often out of phase which made you feel like someone was pulling your brains out through your ears. I often installed several sirens on the outside of the vehicle too along with a module to flash the lights. The folks I installed them for said the darn things would wake the whole neighborhood at night when some dobad messed with their vehicle with the dobad running like hell when the beast of an alarm went off. Some of the vehicle alarms I installed had a pager to go along with them and the customer could catch a thief or the jerk in the parking lot who bumped his car.
TDD
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:44:23 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Aboslutely. No one enterned my car for 7 years when I had the alarm. I had prominent stop-sign shaped decals right by the front door locks. I had even put an imitation hood release under the bumper or grill and it's only job was to set off the alarm. One time when I was parked in a quiet area near the business district, I came back to the car and the led showed that the alarm had been triggered. The doors were all locked so it might have been because of the "hood release".
Later when I got the space in the lot, when the siren went off, he left. He came back later, slit the top and came in without opening the door.
They make a sonar attachment which will set off the alarm if someone comes in by slitting the top, or by climgin over the rrunk if the top is down. I have it but haven't installed it, since there's so little problem around here, and it only works after the top is slashed. I was thinking of lining the top with alarm trigger wire in a grid, but there's so little problem around here.

I don't understand why people lock their cars. I found it better to leave it open and avoid damage. I keep nothing in it to steal, so look around if you want. I've had a couple of tourist visit during the nigh, never had any damage. The first time, I lost a quart of oil that was in the back seat.
If a thief wants you car, it will be gone.

Do you lock your house?

Yes, and I had some damage when someone tried to break in. They were foiled though. Houses are easier secured than a car, but a pro can get past most any lock and alarm system. The house also contains valuable assets that I take some precautions to protect.
There are three unlocked cars sitting in the driveway. Nothing in them to steal aside from a pencil and maybe a stray ketchup packet from the drive through. Friend of mine has a nifty expensive alarm In her nice 6 month old car. She parked it outside of work, about 15 feet from the window in her office. Broad daylight, it just disappeared.

It's just as easy to break a window in a house as it is a car. Easier, since the perp has so many more to choose from.

But the goblin can tell, yes, even a goblin can tell, that there's no one in a car holding a 12-gauge and grinning like a Cheshire cat...
wrote >

These days,thieves will steal parts of the car itself. I had the ECU stolen from my 94 Integra GS-R,it took 6 weeks to get a new one from Japan. Air bags are another common theft item. Radios,nav systems,etc.
why lower your living standards because some thieves feel they can steal your stuff?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

But it's even easier to break into a house than a car. If you're afraid of damage, it makes no sense to lock one and not the other. Sometimes there is no choice but to leave valuables in a car (there were a few anxious moments last week with two guns and three laptops in the car - all in the same case ;).

Exactly. That's what insurance is for.
wrote >

insurance doesn't cover everything. and some things are irreplaceable.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It has for me.

Those are the things no perp wants.

It's special to know that when you extend a courtesy to someone you only extend it so far.
The world would probably have stopped revolving if you had put up the top, life would have lost meaning, and you would have become a bitter old man. You dodged a bullet there, Sparky.
BTW, actions like that are a reason why you're going to singles events.

I take it that you have a car where the top goes down. I also take it that on a nice day, you will have the top down. I've owned a couple of convertibles and the top was down if the temperature was above 60 and it was not raining.
These days, I'm far more likely to have the AC on and windows closed.