(OT) WTF is this?

Page 1 of 2
They keep putting these extremely retarded commericals on TV for "Candy Crush". Apparently they are some sort of game for smartphones. (That' all I can make of them). I dont have (or want) a smartphone. Nor would I want those retarded games. But I have to wonder how much money they cost, because tv commercials are not cheap, and they are on very often.
Those games must cost a fortune!
On 1/22/16 10:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Read this article. You won't believe the amount of money they take in from just 2.3% of the millions of players.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/13/candy-crush-saga-players-855m-2014
On 01/22/2016 10:04 PM, Retired wrote:

Wow
Though I of course have a computer and use Facebook to keep up with my friends I absolutely do not play any of those games.
I have no TV or Smartphone so don't get bombarded with a whole load of crap.
One weakness though:
If I feel the need to play some type of game I still have a 25 year old (maybe older) version of Tetris. To this day I've never beaten my daughter's high score and I feel as I get older my chances keep diminishing.

That's amazing. Apparently there are a lot of kids with a lot of money to blow. Who would think that amount of money could be made from a stupid game.
During the very brief time I used Facebook, I was constantly bombarded with invites to play some of their games, which are also free at first, but you have to pay later for something... I've never liked any computer games so I got real annoyed by those constant invites, even from people I knew well. They said they were not sending them, but FB sends them under thir name. That was part of the reason I removed my FB account after about 2 months of having it.
Per snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc:

That makes me think of another reason never to watch "Live" TV - only recorded TV: if I had kids, I would not want them to see commercials - period.
Viewing only recorded and either fast-forwarding commercials or telling the software to not record then; I don't think I have seen more than 15 seconds of any commercial for at least the past five years - maybe more - and I do not understand why more people do not use their TVs in that manner.
--
Pete Cresswell

Most commercial skip algorithms work by analysing "fade to black" intervals but those 3 minute drug commercials trick that and some shows use short black outs you miss, I use the manual skip.
Per snipped-for-privacy@aol.com:

Same here.... SageTV.
But when I was in the early days of this I fooled around with a Linux app called "MythTV" and was amazed at how accurate it's automagic skipping was. No clue how it worked, but it sure did work.
The functionality is available in Sage as an add-on, but I find that fast forwarding becomes trivial once I get a feel for the break lengths and program two lengths of skip: 60 seconds and 10 seconds.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

I wish my Comcast box would pass commercials. I just fast forward. There is one for a credit card which I loath and have trouble pushing the button fast enough. Also Comcast has this special feature of latency. It starts recording the program about 30 seconds early and consequently ends the recording 30 seconds early. The last few seconds where the narrator gives a resolution gets cut off. If you add a minute to the recording time then that bleeps up a subsequent recording because it only records two at one. If I could get a better system I would, why should this be a problem with computers doing all the work? Any ideas?
--
Tekkie

On 1/23/2016 3:27 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Maybe a new box?
I have DirecTv and there is usually a few seconds before and after. If I record two shows in a row, the first one still has a few seconds at the end and the next one starts a few seconds early. I can record four shows at once. Never misses unless there is a late start because of a football game. On Sunday night I have 60 Minutes record 2 hours just in case.
On 1/23/2016 3:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Suspect the reason (for not being able to skip commercials) with many providers is legal or contractual rather than technical.
We have Dish and with our DVR there is a setting called PrimeTime Anytime which records ALL the available (in our area) prime time network programs. We can set it to automatically skip the commercials on playback but, IIRC, only after 24 or more hours have passed since the original airing.
Seem to recall seeing threads on other groups in this same vein and it was a case of the networks refusing to give permission to rebroadcast their material if the provider (cable/satellite) were going to provide a means to skip the commercials.
My workaround, though hardly elegant, is to record our favorite programs and then - assuming we want to watch them "right now" is to wait about 15 minutes and start watching as they are being recorded. Commercial breaks vary but generally run 2:35 to 3:30 and a few quick presses of the "Jump Forward 30 seconds" and maybe one or two of the "Jump Backward 10 seconds" pretty much kills the commercial in ten seconds or less. Good enough for me.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Nope, on third box and they all do the same thing. All the same quirks on all of them. Trouble is when changing boxes one loses all recordings and all recording lists. Gotta go from ground zero.
--
Tekkie

Per Tekkie®:

Unencumbered by any real knowledge, all I can think of is that the clock in the offending box is 1-2 minutes slow relative to the program provider's schedule.
--
Pete Cresswell

It is the broadcasters. They don't have the old commercial block between shows so the next show starts while they are still rolling credits on the previous show and they play fast and loose about when that happens. The commercial break is after the starting teaser.\ That is mostly a prime time thing since daytime programming is locally placed and they need to stay on schedule so they are not screwing up the affiliates. I usually set up an extra minute or two on the worst offender shows.

One issue here is, in this digital age, there is a significant delay in network show making to the local station, then the cable company, then to my box, and then to the TV. I'm not how much delay is in each of those segments, but the total delay is about 12 seconds. I.e., network shows always start about 12 seconds after the hour as determined by WWV or WWVB. Remember when you used to be able to set clocks by when shows started?

I have Direct TV and the main tv hooked to the converter box (digital recorder) is almost a full sentence ahead or behind a tv in the other room that is just hooked to one of the smaller boxes.
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

I haven't checked against a standard but all 3 boxes I had do it. I don't know why Comblast can't sync it with the turn on & turn off time for the DVR.
--
Tekkie

I have over the air tv (antenna). So I cant do that! I'm not much of a tv watcher anyhow, but it still would be nice to block commercials.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 17:32:48 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I just plugged a DVR card in an old PC for just that problem but I haven't had time to actually try it. I really want to ditch cable/satellite. With a few steaming services and my local OTA I don't think I will miss them.
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 20:41:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I didn't know that was possible. You must need software for it, right? What would you use, and is it made for Windows (probably XP)? What format is the card? (the plug in slot needed)?
THanks
Per snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc:

If you use the SiliconDust device referred to in my earlier post, you don't need anything in your PC.... AND you can put a little app on your Android devices that lets you watch TV (albeit live, not recorded) on them.
--
Pete Cresswell