OT - Would you buy based on this description?

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:40:58 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Because it works?

enough and proven to be safe enough to be "self prescribed" by the average consumer... and there's more money to be made in the consumer market than the prescription market.
Insurance doesn't cover non-prescription medication. There's good reason some pharmas try to keep drugs prescription-only, at least until the patents run out and other climb into the market (if they do).

OTC" meds have been prescribed. Could be millions of times. Prilosec, for example, was prescription only for many years, and was certainly prescribed millions of times. Now you can get it OTC.

I had the misfortune of staying in a Hotel that had these atrocities in it. Worse mattress I've ever slept on. I can't believe your folks liked it... I can't believe anyone likes them.
As to your actual question... They probably keep switching from one low bid supplier to another and are never quite sure just what waste product will be used in the construction of the base at any point in time so they don't want to be too specific. If it's like the base for my normal box spring it's just a cheap wooden frame with barely enough stuff wrapped around it to keep the cats and dogs from getting inside.
On 04/14/13 9:49 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

...Snip...
After I posted my question, I had the chance to try the chat feature at the Sleep Number site. Here's a transcript of our conversation:
*****
Me: The description of the Modular Base reads: "Made in the USA of durable, long-lasting material". Can you tell me what "material" is used?
Raven: High Density Polymer - they use this to make children's playground equipment, it is that strong.
Me: Thanks. I wonder why they don't say that on the website. "...durable, long-lasting material" is kind of vague, don't you think?
Raven: Yes. I wish they did also. Raven: I do apologize. Raven: I guess that is what they have me for.
Me: I guess that's true! Thanks. Have a nice day.
*****
Assuming Raven meant HDPE, I assume that either they don't think visitors to their site will know what HDPE is or they are afraid to say that the bases are made of plastic.

Mattress/bedding products are 2nd to auto brake repair in ripoff cost

Most likely the latter. It would be a selling point I would think but then I've been wrong before.

Like Mont Blanc pens are made from "precious resin"

h.

?

I haven't checked on them but from the ads I assume they are nothing more than an over hyped air mattress. That would turn me off right there. We slept on a waterbed while visiting her sister a couiple nights. Never again and I don't see an air mattress being much different.
Harry K

I think it's "memory foam" on top of an air mattress. The worst of two worlds.
On Sunday, April 14, 2013 4:43:02 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

From a recent post titled "Another Tool For The Trash Can";
"He probably never used it. When I turned it on, it ran for a few seconds, and then the chuck stopped turning. The motor continues to run just fine. The chuck is free-wheeling.
When I opened it, I found that there is a plastic or nylon sleeve that couples the motor shaft to the chuck. It was completely disintegrated from age."
This part might have been durable, that is, it could have taken a lot of use when relatively new, but the material it was made of was not long-lasting.

Most definitions of durable read something like this:
: able to exist for a long time without significant deterioration...
...and this:
2. Able to perform or compete over a long period...
Check out Select Comfort. Same thing, half the price. I have a queen. Their customer service was top notch for the one call I needed to make. It is air, 2 sides, 'egg' foam and the memory foam on top. Not bad at all.

I guess the point of my post was not clear. My bad, I guess.
It was not about which bed/mattress my parents should choose. It was only about the *words* used in the description of the Modular Base.
"...durable, long lasting material"
My point was: Would anyone buy *any product* based on such a vague description of the product.
If a contractor was going to build you a deck and said he was going to use "durable, long lasting material" would you sign the contract? If a flooring store had a sale on flooring made of "durable, long lasting material" would you say "Well, then, sell me some of that!"
The description of the product, not the product itself, was the point of my post.
I have also started threads, here and other Usenet lists. Typically results in rapid thread drift. It's the nature of an unmoderated list.
I'd roll my eyes at the description, and then go see if I can find one in person to view and inspect.
The literal answer to your literal question is: no. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I guess the point of my post was not clear. My bad, I guess.
It was not about which bed/mattress my parents should choose. It was only about the *words* used in the description of the Modular Base.
"...durable, long lasting material"
My point was: Would anyone buy *any product* based on such a vague description of the product.
If a contractor was going to build you a deck and said he was going to use "durable, long lasting material" would you sign the contract? If a flooring store had a sale on flooring made of "durable, long lasting material" would you say "Well, then, sell me some of that!"
The description of the product, not the product itself, was the point of my post.
I'm sure we've all see numerous post where some particular fact was clearly mentioned in the Original post and then numerous follow ups ask "can you tell me....." the thing that was already stated. Once there have been more then three reply's to a post it's a safe bet it's already run off the rails.
Just like my post above,,, it has nothing to do with the original post about ad copy.
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:43:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:43:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

True. Maybe we need a moderator. Should we bring it up and ask the guys here?
You know, that's a great idea. I think we should ask. Moderator could prevent thread drift, block off topic posts, report spammers to thier ISP before we see the messages, prevent anything controversial, determine the truth of any advertisements, assure that only govenment approved messages make it to the board, prevent flame wars, kwyetly corekt spelleng airrers, and reverse the effects of global warming. Moderator would have to be durable, and of good quality.
Is it just me, or are tangerines sold in stores getting smaller? Those grocery store owners are part of international cabal, to increase pollution, and shrink the size of food. They are worthless idiots. They need to be taken care of. Who's with me! We'll ship em all to Boston. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: >I have also started threads, here and other Usenet lists. Typically results

True. Maybe we need a moderator. Should we bring it up and ask the guys here?
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 05:12:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

What would you suggest as a moderator, lead, or heavy water? Perhaps Cadmium?

It's just you, but they *never* ripen.
I think graphite would be slick.
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone would catch my drift. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 05:12:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
What would you suggest as a moderator, lead, or heavy water? Perhaps Cadmium?

It's just you, but they *never* ripen.

I think so.

On Perry Mason, a lot of things were immaterial. So at least you won't have Mason's problem.

I'd like to know how the darn thing works. A bunch of us are going to visit my brother, and the last time this happened, he bought a couple air mattresses. I hate air mattresses and ended up sleeping on the carpeted floor (which was fine.)
I too once tried to find out what a Sleep Number mattress really was and afaicr, it had something to do with air. There's also a second kind of niche market mattress advertised, and I looked that up too, but can't remember either the name or how it worked.
What I'm really thinking is that one night might not be enough to know something is really better. Maybe it's just that it was better than the mattress your parents have at home. Maybe that needs to be turned over, or turned around. Do they ever do that? AIUI, it's standard practice, but I can easily imagine that many people don't think of it.
Or maybe they really need a new mattress but innerspring is still what they want.
I found this. I'll bet it's what you found. http://www.sleepnumber.com/eng/products/mattress-bases-and-frames/modular-fit/sleep_number_modular_base?modbase
I did buy a new mattress a while back, like new at a moving sale, and failed to notice that it was a couple inches thicker than the last one. Can't use the same fitted sheets, it was higher than my hand-made headboard shelf, and higher than the TV next to the bed. I had to make supports for these last two things, and it still doesn't look right to me.

h.

?

The concept is very simple:
It's essentially an air mattress with baffles and a pump. The inside of the mattress is not one big opening like standard air mattresses, instead there are "compartments" within the mattress to give it more stability. There is also some standard foam padding on the top of the mattress. More (and more) padding is available as options.
The remote control for the pump either adds more air or lets some out depending on what "number" the user finds most comfortable. On full (queen?) size and larger, there are actually 2 separate mattresses controlled by the same pump and remote, allowing each side to be set differently for each user.

As I've said a number of times in this thread, my question had nothing to do with the mattress itself. I was only commenting on the phrase used to describe the modular base available from the same company - the base that forms the "bed" that the mattress rests on.
I was not looking for recommendations for my parents, I was not looking for reviews of the mattress or even of the modular base. I was simply commenting on the words used to describe the base, specifically:
"Made ... of durable, long-lasting material"

eng/products/mattress-bases-and-frames/mod...
Nope...that's not the page I was referring to.
If you go through the "Confgure your bed" step, you will eventually come to the screen where you can choose a base. There is a link to "Learn more" about the base. It is via that link that you get a popup that gives the description I mentioned above.
"Made in the USA of durable, long-lasting material"
Those vague words are what prompted my comments.