OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

Page 5 of 13
Sounds like time for Obama to issue EO.
I'd expect him to rule that all fans should turn to the left.
Not one to turn down a chance to blow up.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

ROFL! Luckily I had just finished the glass of chocolate milk, otherwise I'd be cleaning now.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On 7/4/2014 4:38 PM, Joerg wrote:

My pleasure. The only thing good we can do with politicians is ridicule them.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

sixties or seventies. South of the Mason Dixon they were popular in the early 1900s
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Our house (California) was built in 1970. It always had a ceiling fan in the living room. Even older ones did, sometimes on the patio, gets hot out here in the summer.

India had them a couple hundred years earlier, hand-operated and with bio-degradable blades:
http://www.thestar.com/life/2014/06/27/blades_of_the_first_ceiling_fans_made_of_palm_fronds_home_ed.html
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

here in the "interlaken" district of Ontario. 81% humidity doesn't evaporate much even at 90F.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

True, but it's not always that humid. What counts is the energy savings over the whole season. It would be very easy to use evap coolibng in front of the condenser or traditional A/C. But A/C technology is still largely in the stone age.
I really like evap cooling but have a major gripe with the poor quality of much of that stuff. The motor in our Champion/Essick cooler did a spectacular smoke-out into (!) the house last year. Bought a new motor and now that one is staring to show signs of failure. It hasn't even run 2000h. Pathetic.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

They had bigger better ones back then too. Cannot remember what they were called, but the name was from the sound they made. Big wet blankets flapped in the breeze.
I saw my first ceiling fans in Zambia in 1973. Not many in homes, but common in public assembly areas
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 23:57:58 -0500, Tim Wescott

Circulation alone makes a big difference. I have the blower turn on for 15min/hr during the night to keep the air mixed. During the day the AC is on enough that it's not necessary.
On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 10:34:11 -0500, Tim Wescott

A heat pump is just a reversible AC, so it will heat in the Winter. Otherwise it's exactly the same process, so will do the exact same thing to the air (dry it out - either direction ;).

We just did the I80 drive from SF to Truckee. It was about 60F in SF (warm!) and hit 102 from Sacramento to Auburn. It's 70F, 20% RH here now, good beer weather. The gradient up the slope is usually about 1 deg F per 300 feet of altitude, but today it was about twice that.
On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 06:39:48 -0700, RobertMacy

I took it to mean that it was so dry sweat evaporates so fast there is no sign of them perspiring.
You can carry in VT, too, but just watch the people sweat when it gets to 85F. ...or the welfare or trust fund check is late.
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:39:33 -0700, John Larkin

What brand of fan did you buy that it does not reverse?
That is silly.
And if you installed it, why would you install a fan that is so sub-par? There cannot be that great a savings between them, even if such fans enjoy a market. Maybe I never looked for them, but an air circulator fan (ceiling fan)always has a bi-directional motor.
And if it came with the house, I would be looking to kick a contractor's ass, especially in *that* town. I didn't think anything up there was done 'piss poor'.
Or maybe you never actually inspected the fan itself.
Gave us:

Absorption usually means a soaking-in and re-radiation of energy and thermal mass gets "stored", so it remains after the source dissipates..
Reflection is better, but your building cannot be an "absorber". It too must also reflect.
I do not think anyone could present a case that differs with these basic physical precepts.
On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 02:11:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Great answer.
The thread could have turned philosophical even sooner.
Do not forget Tzu.
On 7/4/2014 10:16 PM, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:

Sun Tzu, and the Art of Ceiling Fans? Does not have the right ring to it.
Since we're a free nation in the USA, I'm only slightly surprised we don't have an Executive Order, and a department of about a million heavily armed DHS or DCF (Department of Ceiling Fans) guys in Humvees, inspecting for compliance. It's the Obama Chicago Thug way.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

China specials. Usually only in white, but likely others out there.
Gave us:

That is funny, actually.
BRL! Type I & II (fuck that LOL shit)
Gave us:

Interesting, but it seems that you too have forgotten to consider the dark matter. Or maybe that was referenced in the nat geo pic...
We really do not know just how insignificant we are.
That is what religion is. Our attempt at making OURSELVES look more important in the grand scheme of things, since someone took the time to create us and even watch over us. It isn't about faith to an unprovable entity. It is about exalting US as what that entity has taken time out of his life to fuss over.
Sure...
Maybe "God" is those huge dark matter strings interconnecting between galaxies and far reaches of our existence.
We are but one small node on a very huge string.
On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 16:04:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon

No. Only Muslim Extremist ceiling fan blow up.
Intelligent, civil Muslims are able to blow their fans down or up, and are like you or me.
The really hard part is precise dissemination.
It was easy to tell this guy had his ceiling fan set correctly, and that he reached said ceiling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvRLzux-fL8