OT - What to do with old CDs?

I have about adozen old CDs that I no longer need or want. Ican just toss them, but thought maybe someone here had come up with other uses, like making a weird wind chime or something.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Gardeners in England hang them to flash in the sun and wind and keep birds off the vegetables.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

yep , make a wind chime

I did

I don't currently have a photo of it uploaded anywhere but here is and example of what I do with some old junk I have sitting around:

philo

Hanging from a string, they make great Targets!

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

put in a microwave oven and run for 5 seconds...looks like R2D2 got zapped.

Reply to
RobertMacy

They used to. Now they use DVDs instead. Higher capacity.

Reply to
micky

Is there a Freecycle where you live, or something similar. A mailing list where you give things away to people who want them.

Reply to
micky

Coasters

-mike > I have about adozen old CDs that I no longer need or want. Ican just toss them, but thought maybe someone here had come up with other uses, like making a weird wind chime or something.

Reply to
Bud Frawley

They do that in the States too! My wife uses them in her kitchen garden and it keeps all the fauna away from her flora

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Hanging mobile. Drill holes in out rim.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Copy me in private with what titles/artists.

Donate to Goodwill/Salvation Army.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

These CDs have technical information on them, not of any use to anyone except engineers, and really not even useful for them.

Reply to
hrhofmann

not of any use to anyone except engineers, and really not even useful for them.

Can I use them to build a monster and take over the civilized world?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
5:20 snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote "These CDs have technical information on them, not of any use to anyone except engineers, and really not even useful for them. "

Oh! Did not see mention of that in your orig. post. Sorry!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I thought the biggest fauna, deers, ate mostly at dusk when there was no sun to flash off the CDs.

Do they eat at dawn too? Still, no direct sunlight.

Reply to
micky

Lots of things reflect without scaring birds, but reflecting lets birds know a CD is present. Humans might not know flying saucers were present if the ETs didn't turn on their flashing lights. Humans aren't scared of flashing lights. They're scared of unidentified flying objects.

Some people have no luck keeping deer away with CDs. I suppose they have to be hung where the deer will see them in the dark, and the location has to have enough wind to move them. I suppose the deer leave because it's an unidentified flying object.

Humans also tend to get uneasy when they encounter a moving object they can't account for in the dark.

Reply to
J Burns

You make a lot of good points. Doesn't the FAA require that the ETs use flashing lights when over USA-governed territory?

Reply to
micky

That's under Catch-22. ET's are required to travel by UFO, but if they turn on identification lights and transponders as required, they're no longer unidentified flying objects. Any ET who doesn't want to end up at GTMO had better retain a good lawyer.

I was not surprised to discover that the FAA's UFO regulations are under Section 8.

Reply to
J Burns