OT What is Control Panel called in Win 7?

Page 1 of 2
I'm using Team Viewer and trying to help my brother. What is Control Panel called in Win 7?
He's going to call back after he eats lunch.
On 7/6/2013 11:33 AM, micky wrote:

control panel
On 7/6/2013 12:33 PM, micky wrote:

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 10:33:53 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

It is called "Control Panel".
Start button will give access to it.

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 12:59:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Maybe I should have said that this is an HP laptop?

I take care of about 15 computers running XP or Win7. Desktops, laptops, netbooks. Every one has the control panel in the same place on the Start menu. Doubt yours is different.
On 7/6/2013 2:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It might be unpinned from the start menu.
Your job sounds similar to my old job but I just had a lot more computers. Not system administrator (would involve more money) but responsible for everyone's bs?

Some are job related, others are family related. We don't have enough IT to need a System Administrator (it would be a pay cut anyway), it is just that I happen to know more about computers than anyone at work. If I need help, I call the guy that builds them for us.
My boss is the owner, a graduate mechanical engineer, very smart and has owned a couple of businesses. Every year he takes his laptop to Florida and every year he calls and asks how to disable the touch pad as he uses a mouse. You get the idea.
On 7/6/2013 3:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We could have used a real IT guy but maybe for only 4 hours a day, so they used me and I'd call up a consultant when it was out of my league. The system sort of worked. I don't know what happened when I left.
If I get myself in that situation again I hope I've learned how to say "no". I doubt it though.

Stuff like that always reminds me of a Quake command line switch.
-noidea

Thanks for all the replies.
Yeah, I clicked on Start and there was no control panel!!

I found it. It was under HP Setup Manager, with 9 other items with little white print on a transparent purple background. Ugh.
He's 73 and not fond of computers, but I had just as much troulble as he did. This was to get the mike volume higher, but he's called Rosetta Stone Customer Service about the other problems, like repeatly suggesing he update the software, then when he does, suggesting it again, and having no way to bypass Update except by starting Update and cancelling it in the middle. They're supposed to call him back in 10 minutes.
Thank you all.
On 7/6/2013 1:10 PM, micky wrote:

Heh
You can access it through the search tool when you click the start menu. (on the bottom)
One of several ways. :)
micky wrote:

Hi, I am 73, Something special or unusual being a 73 YO? I am very fond of 'puters helping family and neighbors with their problems. Hardware as well as software problems. My service is free. just repaired a LCD monitor for neighbor's son yesterday. Most request for help is setting up their network using wireless router, home theater. And showing them how to use universal remote control for one button operation.
You are a good person to be helping people. WW Hi, I am 73, Something special or unusual being a 73 YO? I am very fond of 'puters helping family and neighbors with their problems. Hardware as well as software problems. My service is free. just repaired a LCD monitor for neighbor's son yesterday. Most request for help is setting up their network using wireless router, home theater. And showing them how to use universal remote control for one button operation.

Hey, that works in XP too, typing it into the Run box, even with the space. I didn't know that.

It turns out it's always there for him too, but hidden like I describe in the previous post

I know about the others, including msinfo32 and more. It's control panel that fooled me because I didn't think that was part of a file name. Even though I know that spaces can -- ugh -- be part of file names, I didnt' think this one was.
I searched and Control Panel is a file, a shortcut they call it. It exists in WinME too and in XP it's 152 bytes. It has no extension on the end. Who knew?
micky wrote:

Try reading this link and see if that solves the problem:
http://www.sysprobs.com/hide-windows-7-control-panel-start-menu .
The link actually shows how to hide the Control Panel, but maybe if someone already hid it, you can "un-hide" it by unchecking the right option.
Or, try what is says near the bottom of the link and type in "control" after clicking on "Programs".
Or, maybe TeamViewer doesn't give you permission to access the Control Panel remotely? If so, could you ask your brother to try clicking on Start then Control Panel himself directly on his own computer rather than you trying to do it through TeamViewer?

So far TViewer lets me do everything -- it's great --, except that if i want to use combination keys, like alt-tab, I have to say so. A box pops up and asks after the first time I try, and after every time if I don't give blanket agreement.

Thank you.
My brother is 73, doesn't like computers, and this program is giving 3 other problems that I can't solve either. Well I think I solved one, that he just understand what was wanted, but the other two wore me out.