OT Virus Protection

Page 1 of 5
My subscription for Norton is up. I've had different Norton products for at least 12 years, have tried McAfee, which I didn't like. Norton appears to be so bloated, it slows my machine down.
How's some of these free downloads like AVG?
What virus protection do you run?

It's a decent one from what I hear.

Avast! Antivirus

I've been running Avast on 2 machines for over a year now with excellent results. Updates automatically and blocks viruses and malware. It almost seems to good to be true.
Seems like something always went wrong with NAV and McAfee during the annual updates or computer crashes and their customer service was crap.
od

I too had run NAV and McAfee prior to Avast! Had the same complaints as many others over time. It's one thing I read on the Internet that WAS true!
Lotus wrote:

Hi, I use AVG 8.5 free version.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I've been pretty happy with PCTools antivirus/antispam. $35 a year for a 3-machine license. Agree about Norton/Symantec. I can actually use it free, legally, via the corp license at work. But it is bloated, and didn't play nice with Windows on some of my machines, so I gave up on it. (It is also pretty much impossible to uninstall if it breaks.)
-- aem sends...

You're susposed to be able to dl an uninstaller from Norton. I used it one time but NAV is crap and has been for years.
od

I stopped using Norton years ago when they stopped supporting the one I was using and it took me almost 3 hours to get the old one out by hand before the new one would load. This was 3 hours just to get out the stuff uninstaller had left behind.
--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."
aemeijers wrote:

Hi, I never liked Norton anything since the days of DOS. On anti virus, keeping whatever you use up-to-date all the time is very important.

NOD32 http://www.eset.com /

Me too along with occasional RUNS of Spybot S&D, AdAware and SuperAntispyware.
Rudy wrote:

Geeeez all these time consuming anti everything programs what a waste of time and productivity. Not to mention $$$$$
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Thats good..don't mention $$$$ 'cause these programs are free. As far as the waste of time/productivity, since I U/G this 5 y.o Dell to 1 Gig of memory, I can run l those programs in the background while I do the regular stuff. Previously, when I had only a single 256 of memory, you'd have been right..there wasn't sufficient capacity.
Rudy wrote:

Hmmmm, wasnt aware Norton was free. It should be!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Lotus wrote:

I use Avira free version and AVG free (not on the same machines). Avira is probably the better of the two as far as using little system resources and detection rate (by independent labs).
Lotus wrote:

Hi Lotus,
If you want the dirt on AV, go to http://www.anti-malware-test.com /
Norton is a resource hog and buggers up your system. Don't renew it. It also can not be suspended when a new software installation requests it. Or, when a guy like me is trying to figure out if the AV is causing a conflict.
I remove viruses for a living. I have to tell you, the free AV users (AVG etc.) are usually infected and don't know it. The free antivirus products are not worth the time to install them. I come across them all the time, they are almost always infected, especially the ones where the users swear by them.
The AV I use/recommend is Kaspersky (www.kaspersky.com). Kaspersky includes spyware/malware. The rest sell it as an extra product. This sticks you with two scanners to slow things down and to have revision conflicts with each other. Kaspersky has American tech support, the smallest foot print, backs off when you need to use your computer and you are scanning, has the best removal tools available against viruses that protect themselves, etc..
Also, bear in mind, about 85% of the viruses now a days are targeting Internet Explorer (IE) users. Get off IE as soon as possible. Use Firefox instead: www.firefox.com. Works a lot better than IE too. It is free.
Did I mention Kaspersky has A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N tech support? (They are really, really good too!)
HTH, -T
On 5/1/2009 10:21 PM Todd spake thus:

Norton *is* a virus.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself
Todd wrote:

Avast no longer appears free and trial copy I'm using will expire in a month and I will go back to McAfee, free from Comcast. McAfee was a hog on my 1 gig Vista OS but adding 2 more gigs solved problem.
Reason I'm in Avast mode is that a virus slipped by McAfee and fortunately I restored machine but McAfee had to be removed so I went to Avast which detected and removed the Trojan virus which had reverted my system as if it were new, with no files - frightening. Also I don't use IE.

I'm pretty sure Avast is still free for home use. I'd pick Avast over McAfee, free or not. YMMV!
od
On Sat, 02 May 2009 06:35:53 -0400, Frank wrote:

Avast (and AVG) still have free versions, but good luck trying to find links to them from their home pages. Seems they make a real game out of trying to give the impression that there is no longer a free version by obscuring where it is located on their web sites. In some cases at least the "free trial" is not the same as the "free personal edition" which is what you want.
Google for "Avast free download" or similar until you find a link that takes you directly to the download page for the free version. Anything that takes you to their home pages will be a waste of time.