OT Velveeta

OT
Listening to radio from 1949 and the commercial for Velveeta carefully referred, twice, to it as "cheese food", instead of cheese.
I noticed this style a few years ago and though that new laws**from 15 or 20 years ago about honest advertising were requiring this. Maybe I was right and this is a new practice, but it was also an old practice, I see. It's a practice Kraft Velveeta observed, voluntarily I guess, 63 years ago.
**For example "pork and beans" is grandfathered in because it has a traditional name, but if it were a new "food" it would have to be called beans and pork on the label, because there are more beans than pork.
Macaroni and cheese is okay to begin with iiuc, because there is more macaroni than cheese, by weight.
More related to this, there are iirc 3 or 4 levels depending on how much A is in B. There is cheese, cheese food, cheese-inspired food, and looks-something-like cheese. For xample.

The only thing I found in pork and beans is fat. Should be fat and beans, or beans with pork fat. I can see that on the label right now.
Greg

Once upon a time a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle, ever so gently disparaging the city of Chico Ca, said that it was so rural that Velveeta was found in the Gourmet food section of the Grocery stores
On Sep 30, 10:06pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

LOL!!!!

Heck, here in SE Iowa Spam dominates the gourmet section.:-)
Don
On 10/1/12 6:25 PM, IGot2P wrote:

Hawaii leads the U.S. in per capita Spam consumption.
"Hawaii has the highest consumption per capita for SPAM products, where they are available in restaurants, convenience stores and as a staple in nearly every kitchen pantry. The favorite way to enjoy the SPAM family of products in the Aloha state: SPAM musubi, a tangy, sushi-type roll."
The quote was from the Spam website: http://tinyurl.com/3shr9e