OT UPS battery protection

Page 1 of 2
I have a UPS protecting my computer's power with three 12v 7a batteries. Recently while I was away for a few hours the power went off and evidently the UPS ran the batteries down and they failed. I had to replace them. Perhaps they were about due for replacement anyway but I'll never know for sure.
Anyhow, anyone aware of a timer of some sort I can use on the UPS so after ten minutes (or whatever) after the AC goes off it turns off the UPS (or cuts power to omputer)? If I'm there I'd shut down long before ten minutes.
Suggestions?
TIA

On 10/9/2013 1:18 PM, KenK wrote:

Offhand, I think there is something in the UPS software to shut your computer down gracefully. I've never had the problem but I always turn my computers off when not in use.
Frank wrote:

If your UPS is APC, you can use their Powerchute program to set the time for shutting down. I use 5 minutes on mine. I also have a Belkin UPS which has its own shutdown software.
On 10/9/2013 1:40 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

I recall seeing the programs but never installed them on the three computers I have connected to them.
Got my first, an APC, many years ago which has since gone bad. Loss of power while computer was running had caused disasters before I had the APC. Newer machines might be better but I'd never take the risk again.

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I can't find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert (evidently they bought Emerson?) but I'm pretty this is a different (and very large commercial) UPS.
I left it on for years while I am regularly away for a couple of hours in the morning. No lengthy power outages. Now I turn off the system while I'm away just in case but it is a PITA to reboot the system and restart all the software most every morning on my slow ancient system.

On 10/9/2013 10:59 AM, KenK wrote:

What's your definition of failed? Open? Won't charge? low capacity? How long since your last test run?
I've only had half a dozen UPS's over the years, but ALL of them had low-battery shutoff that prevents battery failure from over-discharge. Failure from long-term overcharge is another issue.
Get one with a port and software that can shut off the computer.
My UPS battery has been "dead" for years. Runs the system for almost a minute. Around here, we have two types of outages: 1)glitches lasting a second or less that auto-reset themselves. My UPS works great on those. 2)Those that don't auto-reset and will take hours for manual fix. With a good battery, mine still wouldn't last long enough for those. If I press the sleep button before going out, it lasts much longer.
Don't remember anything a chkdsk or fsck wouldn't fix...but there's still a recent backup justincase.

Have you tried Hiberrnate. I use it all the time. Takes much less time and you don't have to do anything, so if it does take time, you can be getting coffee or something.

I'll have to check into that. I never tried it but recall reading about it many years ago. Thanks for the tip.

It can take a significant amount of time for memory to be reloaded from disk and the system reinitialized when coming out of hibernate. Sleep mode is almost instantaneous, though. It still takes my laptop a minute to reconnect to the wireless network, though.
On 10/10/2013 11:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I often put the desktops in the office in sleep mode because a lot of the protection software takes a few minutes to load from a cold start. ^_^
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in wrote:

Will it automatically reconnect to a dial-up?
I tried hibernate during shutdown by using the shift key and 'hiberbate' button instead of 'shut down'. But that wasn't helpful because I still had to start everything up and reconnect to dial up as usual when I woke it up. I need to see if it will hibernate when all my usual software is running and I'm on line.

On 10/11/2013 10:40 AM, KenK wrote:

The magic happens on restart.
Boot is an interactive process with the hardware that programs all those flip-flops to the states required for operation in the proper sequence.
Restart from hibernate reads the memory state back off the disk and reinstates it. I don't know the details, but there's surely something that attempts to get all the hardware back into the required states.
Problem with dialup is that you may not know the internal states of the modem or the phone system or the ISP at shutdown or restart. I'd put an icon on the desktop to restart the internet. There's probably a way to put it in the resume from hibernate process, but likely not worth the effort to learn all that.
That's why I gave up on hibernate years ago. Worked well when 16MB of ram was the norm. With a lot of ram, it can take nearly as long to read if back off the disk as to boot.
Measure the power consumption of your system in sleep mode. Mine's 10-watts. Doesn't take a huge battery to keep it alive for a prolonged power outage.

a low power operating state, with HDD and screen shut off and processor "idling" - Hibernate is system state saved, and system shut down - no processor activity.
Some systems support "wake on ring" or "boot on ring" to start the computer by calling the modem. Pretty dodgy from distant past memory.
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:53:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, but wake up on LAN seems to work fairly well.

No. Hibernate saves state to the disk before shutting down.

It also happens when going into hibernate. If you shut down the current state isn't saved so there is no way to restore.

Yes, but that state (and the system state) have to be saved before they can be restored.

Yes.

The phone system is the issue. You don't control Ma. ;-)

You don't want hibernate. Use sleep. A computer will reconnect to the Internet if you're using some "always on" system, like a cable modem, or DSL. It just takes my laptop longer than I'd like. My netbook reconnects almost immediately on waking up (from sleep mode).

That's why you use sleep instead of hibernate.

That sounds high but so what?

Right. I have mine set to wake up from sleep and go into hibernate if the batteries go too low.

It's 3W when OFF.

With aging batteries and a battery gauge that seems ok down to 50% then drops instantly to 0. I've often had the thing shut down before completing the hibernate save.

3W. Tops! The CPU doesn't matter much. It's all but dead in any case.

There really isn't much difference.

What can I tell you? Crap sells too.

Dial up? I don't believe I've ever connected it to a phone line.

First, don't use hibernate. Use sleep. Second, there is no way it'll maintain the connection when in either sleep or hibernate. It will at least have to redial.
On 10/9/2013 12:18 PM, KenK wrote:

Most backup power supplies have a serial or USB connector for communicating with the computer. The software CD that is supplied with the UPS will have a program for monitoring the power and can shut down the computer after a set period of time or if the battery capacity reaches a certain point. If you post the make and model number of your UPS, I may know the characteristics of your unit because I have dozens of them around here and I picked up a case of batteries yesterday to repair some of my 1kw+ UPS systems. ^_^
TDD

Ancient Emerson UPS 600. No software I am aware of. No manual and I can't find one on line with Google. There is a Liebert but I'm pretty this is a different (and very large commercial) UPS.