OT: Update on printers

Page 1 of 2
Following the longish thread on printers, perhaps some will be interested in the latest news:
"Attempting to improve profitability and further shift toward laser printers, Lexmark disclosed plans on Tuesday to exit its inkjet printer business and slash 1,700 jobs... As part of its effort to exit the inkjet business, Lexmark said it plans to close a manufacturing facility in Cebu, Philippines by the end of 2015.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2012/08/28/lexmark-to-slice-1700-jobs-in-restructuring/?test=latestnews#ixzz24rklkuBM
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. As I recall, Lexmark was the first to put the accursed chips on their toner cartridges.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch?
Do you actually think that the 1700 workers who will be laid off are the ones who made the decision to put the chips in the ink cartridges?
If you're "lucky", perhaps the engineer(s) that designed the accursed chip system will get laid off because they are part of the inkjet division, but you can be pretty sure that the vast majority of the 1700 who are about to lose their jobs are just innocent bystanders, trying to earn a living so that they can support their families.
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:26:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You took the words outa my mouth. My thoughts exactly.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, but they made their own decision to work for a rascally company.

"Innocent?" The employees made their decision and decisions have consequences. They reaped the rewards of working for Lexmark and when, for whatever reason, Lexmark has to re-trench, these folks got caught. Surely it dawned on at least SOME of the employees that if Lexmark was willing to screw with its customers, what loyalty would the company have toward employees?

You have to be kidding. Maybe a dozen of the 1700 fall into the category you describe. The other 1688 work there because there were job openings and they needed a job.
The 1688 made no decisions on chips, many have no idea what the chips do, what the company policy for them is. They go to work, they perform their duties, they get a paycheck. They have no choice in the decision of products to make. Some will be working across the street tomorrow, some will go to flipping burgers, some will do better, some won't find another job for a very long time. They are collateral damage of boardroom decisions.
On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:45:26 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds just like Bain Capital.
On 8/28/2012 10:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well it is "heybub" so there never is a point except to screw with people.

But the "heybub" version makes for a better story...
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep.

By "Yep" are you now agreeing that the vast majority of the 1700 were indeed innocent?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, no. I was agreeing that the 1700 were collateral damage of boardroom decisions.

To which I answer, "so?". BTDT. It's certainly not the end of the world unless you had no skills to begin with.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:57:25 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Again you don't know what you are talking about. I just happen to know many from the Philippines and even having a college education there doesn't mean a job. Many have to leave the country or take menial jobs to get by like being maids, work on cruise ships, etc... . So losing a job with a major employer near home must be hard there. I'm told being poor there isn't the same as here.

That's not surprising. You *are* industrial strength stupid.

It "doesn't mean a job", here, either, moron. Do you really think a job is a birth right? <dumb question, lefties think everything is a birth right>

Boo hoo.

Really? You are just full of smart things to say. <sheesh>
On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:03:10 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You're just as stupid.

Wow! IKWYABWAI is such a sharp retort. <what a moron>
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:29:40 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I could say the same but I made my point and imagine you will resort to more name calling anyway.

Dougie, Dougie, Dougie. Stating facts is not "name calling". You *are* a moron.
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 17:45:10 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

U have your facts reversed. I presented information from people that lived there. You did not. Therefore using your own definition, you are the moron in this thread.

How is that different?
Remember that it was you that objected to my use of the word innocent and insinuated that they all played a part in the decision to use the chips.
How is being an "innocent bystander" different than being "collateral damage of boardroom decisions"?
On 8/29/2012 10:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You still haven't figured out that the only reason that "heybub" is here is to screw with people? One minute he is Rush Limbaghs twin and then now he sounds like the commercial that was running last week about how Romney killed the the wife of the guy who had previously been working in a mill that was owned by Romneys group that was closed.