OT: Update on printers

Following the longish thread on printers, perhaps some will be interested in the latest news:

"Attempting to improve profitability and further shift toward laser printers, Lexmark disclosed plans on Tuesday to exit its inkjet printer business and slash 1,700 jobs... As part of its effort to exit the inkjet business, Lexmark said it plans to close a manufacturing facility in Cebu, Philippines by the end of 2015.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. As I recall, Lexmark was the first to put the accursed chips on their toner cartridges.

Reply to
HeyBub

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch?

Do you actually think that the 1700 workers who will be laid off are the ones who made the decision to put the chips in the ink cartridges?

If you're "lucky", perhaps the engineer(s) that designed the accursed chip system will get laid off because they are part of the inkjet division, but you can be pretty sure that the vast majority of the

1700 who are about to lose their jobs are just innocent bystanders, trying to earn a living so that they can support their families.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

You took the words outa my mouth. My thoughts exactly.

Reply to
Doug

Unwise greed on the part of management. Folk I know may buy a Lexmark or it's Dell Clone once but not a second time.

HP is almost as bad with their proprietary games.

And yes it's the troops on the ground that get it in the neck.

Reply to
NotMe

No, but they made their own decision to work for a rascally company.

"Innocent?" The employees made their decision and decisions have consequences. They reaped the rewards of working for Lexmark and when, for whatever reason, Lexmark has to re-trench, these folks got caught. Surely it dawned on at least SOME of the employees that if Lexmark was willing to screw with its customers, what loyalty would the company have toward employees?

Reply to
HeyBub

As I remember it I was one of the first to buy Lexmark when they first came= out. It broke down about a year later and when I called them they wouldn= =92t help me fix it but insisted that I ship it to Texas. So I did, and all= they did was clean it and ship it back to me. The cost to me was almost th= e price of a new printer at the time. If they had been a little more consum= er friendly and told me WHAT to do to fix it I wouldn=92t have switched to = a different brand.

Reply to
recyclebinned

You have to be kidding. Maybe a dozen of the 1700 fall into the category you describe. The other 1688 work there because there were job openings and they needed a job.

The 1688 made no decisions on chips, many have no idea what the chips do, what the company policy for them is. They go to work, they perform their duties, they get a paycheck. They have no choice in the decision of products to make. Some will be working across the street tomorrow, some will go to flipping burgers, some will do better, some won't find another job for a very long time. They are collateral damage of boardroom decisions.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds just like Bain Capital.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Well it is "heybub" so there never is a point except to screw with people.

But the "heybub" version makes for a better story...

Reply to
George

And it is a business model choice. Lots of people want to think they are getting a deal when they find $39 dollar printers stacked up in a pile at the bigbox store so the manufacturers provide that "experience" . Then somehow you actually need to pay for the printer.

Reply to
George

Yep.

Reply to
HeyBub

By "Yep" are you now agreeing that the vast majority of the 1700 were indeed innocent?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you really think that the secretary for the lady in the purchasing department that negotiated the contract for the boxes that the ink cartridges will be shipped in played any role in the decision to use chips in the cartridges? Do you really that the lady in the purchasing department herself played any role in that decision?

I could list so many job functions in the Inkjet department that played no role in the decision, yet will be eliminated when the layoffs occur.

Another way to look at it is that the company attempted to ensure that the inkjet department was profitable by ensuring that only their cartridges were used in their product. You can't sell printers as loss leaders and then not take steps to make the money back on ink. This could be interpreted as showing loyalty to the employees by trying to be a profitable as possible. The fact that it didn't work out doesn't change the fact that they tried.

Besides, even you used the words "SOME of the employees ". Fine, call it "retribution" for those that actually played a part in the decision, but the vast majority of the 1700 workers were simply doing their jobs.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

out. It broke down about a year later and when I called them they wouldn?t help me fix it but insisted that I ship it to Texas. So I did, and all they did was clean it and ship it back to me. The cost to me was almost the price of a new printer at the time. If they had been a little more consumer friendly and told me WHAT to do to fix it I wouldn?t have switched to a different brand.

I hope so.

Reply to
Doug

Well, no. I was agreeing that the 1700 were collateral damage of boardroom decisions.

Reply to
HeyBub

You can't blame the employees as often as not the company is the only game in town.

Reply to
NotMe

[...]

{{

Based on the business plans/models I've read I expect the end game was exactly as it played out. Too many towns and counties get played by MBAs for what they are worth. End up investing in facilities and accommodations in the hope of long term employment for their citizens with the result that both employees and the citizens are well screwed.

Reply to
NotMe

To which I answer, "so?". BTDT. It's certainly not the end of the world unless you had no skills to begin with.

Reply to
krw

Bullshit. They don't have to live in a one-horse town (now zero-horse).

Reply to
krw

out. It broke down about a year later and when I called them they wouldn?t help me fix it but insisted that I ship it to Texas. So I did, and all they did was clean it and ship it back to me. The cost to me was almost the price of a new printer at the time. If they had been a little more consumer friendly and told me WHAT to do to fix it I wouldn?t have switched to a different brand.

The beginning of the end was before that. IBM wouldn't have sold off the division (a management buyout, actually) if it weren't already a loser.

Yep.

One word; Kodak. OK, two; Xerox.

Reply to
krw