OT The Cloud

Page 1 of 3
Although "The Cloud" is not something I consider secure, I have found a use for it. Google docs gives you 5 gig of storage. I have started scanning receipts and putting them on "The Cloud" This will come in handy if I have an insurance claim or warranty claim.
If you scan the image as a jpg, you can use MsPaint to black out any credit card info.
I also use Yahoo calendar to record big purchases with a 1 year reminder. This is a pretty good way to keep up with how long something is under warranty.
-- O'Neil to General Hammond: For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.
On 4/22/2011 11:35 AM Metspitzer spake thus:

If you get a real paint program, instead of that miserable excuse (I use Paint Shop Pro, probably now out of print, probably can get it for free somewhere), you can not only do that easily, but also reduce the number of colors and save an image as a tiny .GIF. Far smaller than unwieldy JPEGs, recognized world-wide by all browsers and mail clients.
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup

try the GIMP.
nate
On 4/22/2011 12:40 PM N8N spake thus:

Well, *I* won't, 'cause I've had more than my share of problems with open-source software, and I'm totally happy with PSP. Nothing it can't do that I need, and it's really easy to use. But the O.P. might want to try it.
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
On 4/22/2011 2:35 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I got Carbonite. It automatically backs up all files on your computer for $55/year. I was mostly concerned about loss of business records and email and consider it a business expense. It was getting tiresome putting stuff on DVD's and while I could have a ton of storage on my websites or isp, I'd still have to upload. Carbonite does it automatically every time a new file is added or an old one changed.
On 4/22/2011 1:08 PM Frank spake thus:

So how secure is it? Any way someone can snoop on your private stuff?
I don't think I'd ever trust "the cloud". I like knowing exactly where my data is, and who has access to it.
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
On 4/22/2011 6:22 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Better be secure. Maybe people hack in but why would they want to see my stuff? Any computer or computer system hooked up to the internet is subject to hacking.
On 04/22/11 06:22 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

In the dim and distant past (a few decades ago) we had computer centers that stored "our" data somewhere in our various companies. Then we got "personal" computers, so that "our" data was stored on our own computers on (or under, or beside) our own desks rather than in the computer center down the corridor, or in the next building, or in the corporate data center in another state or another country. Now we're supposed to store "our" data in "the cloud," which is operated by a totally separate company, one whose interests might be totally at odds with ours; and we have no idea where in the whole world that data is actually stored. I'd say that this is a backward step -- or maybe a few thousand backward steps.
Perce
Frank wrote:

The cloud is good for those who make money off it. I envision the day when your computer has a slot in the keyboard. The boot screen says, "insert debit card to pay by the keystroke". And it won't cost less than the computers we use today. And the access costs will be much higher.
The cloud is practical when the device used to access it (including the cost of access) costs WAY less than the device using local storage. It makes some sense when there's remote collaboration and common access by multiple users. The internet bandwidth to make practical use of it costs way more than the cost of local storage. A 16GB thumb drive costs under $20 these days. If you put it in your pocket, the only risk is that the computer explodes and takes you with it. I just checked. The total amount of stuff I've authored in 20 years is 605MB.
Scanning receipts into the cloud instead of storing them locally is an exercise in making use of something that has no use. The chance of losing your cloud data is way higher than the chance of you needing to file an insurance claim.
The cloud is a marketing wet-dream to monetize every aspect of your existence. It worked for the cellphone. But I ain't got one of them either.

I get the impression you are saying this tongue-in-cheek, when in fact this whole scenario has been finalized down to the last penny, years ago. Every mouse click, every web link followed, every email sent can be logged and billed. Old news. Why hasn't it been implemented? Probably cuz ppl would riot. OTOH, it's already begun, ever so quietly and insidiously. Look at Canada's "user based billing" (UBB).
It's only a matter of time.
nb

I guess you saw where IPod and the other one are tracking your every move and sending the info back so that the mfgr can track where they should plan for density?
It's here! 1984 has come but not gone.
I'm still using a cheapo cell phone with a cheapo $20/quarter pmt. Don't need all that fancy stuff.
HB
Metspitzer wrote:

A DVD blank is 4.7GB, and you're not putting it on someone else's server. Alternately, an extra HDD is dirt cheap these days.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Yep. Pretty cheap.
There's a current ad on Houston Craigslist for 40Gig hard drives at $11 each. Hundreds in stock (I've seen 'em).
The dude buys computers that come back off of lease and almost all the computers he purchases have no hard drives. So he buys container loads of refurbished (?) drives to install in these back-from-lease machines.
Me? I'm content to use the 40Gig hard drives I find in the bottom of CrackerJack boxes.

With the price of external hard drives going from about $ 50 to $ 80 for a 500 GB to 1K GB, it is even cheaper to buy them new. Also you just plug them into the usb port. I still like the dvds for the important stuff. Guess that I am one of those that make several backups.

Anyone done any studies on HOW LONG a home-burned DVD will last? I burned some CD-Roms,and they didn't last more than a couple of years and then were unreadable.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

this info is available at the manufacturers sites. for verbatim at http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/dvd/archival-grade-gold-dvd-r/ they claim 100 years for this brand and style.

Here's what Amazon shows for these "archival" DVDs that they claim will last 100 years.
============== Verbatim 95355 UltraLife 4.7 GB 8x Gold Archival Grade DVD-R, 50-Disc Spindle by Verbatim 3.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (25 customer reviews) | Like (0) List Price:     $160.00 Price:     $72.28 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details You Save:     $87.72 (55%)
24 new from $72.28 Size: 50-Disc 5-Disc 50-Disc =================
I'm leaning toward trying these rather than get another external HD. (I won't be around in 100 years to call them a liar if it doesn't work <g>)
Only thing I'm not sure about is the transfer rate. Some posts on here mentioned very slow transfer rate? Excuse dumb question, but is that when transferring from the computer to the DVD?
Also, what is the rate when transferring back from DVD to computer (assuming there's a reason to do that).
Also: Why DVD when data only requires HD? I can see DVD for photos, etc, but otherwise?
HB
On 4/23/2011 4:02 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I'll throw in- it isn't just the quality of the blank media, it is the quality of the drive. Not as much of a problem as it used to be, but sometimes you still get disks that will read fine on the drive they were burned on, but not on a different drive. Hint- pay the extra 5-10 bucks and get a drive that actually has a brand name on it. It makes a difference.
--
aem sends...

On 4/23/2011 10:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I just thought of an interesting problem the government has been running into with data storage media. The equipment isn't around anymore to read the old tapes. They're having to hunt down retired IBM, UNIVAC, DEC, etc engineers to help them get the information off those old data tapes. I wonder if someone or some international group can come up with a standard archival media that will stay in use for a century or more? Oh yea, and a standard digital format to go along with it.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote: snip

We all have that problem. I had to copy my VIC20 cassette tapes to floppy, then to high density floppy, then to zip disks, then to cd, then to dvd. For many of us, the amount of data is small enough that we can copy it to new technology before the old wears out. And it's much easier to keep all the old stuff than to try to sort it.
But I still have all 80GB of stuff on the primary hard drive. It's quicker to search the whole thing for a driver than to try to figger out which DVD it's on.