OT The Cloud

On 4/24/2011 2:26 PM Percival P. Cassidy spake thus:

Ackshooly, so far as I know, RTF is totally non-proprietary and is part of the SAA/CUA guidelines. Micro$oft may have tried to hijack it for their own purposes (Word's .doc format is just RTF-in-a-wrapper so far as I know), it remains firmly in the public domain.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Helpful post, thanks.

Should "printed documentation" of value be on acid-free paper? Inquiring minds...

HB =A0 =A0

Reply to
Higgs Boson

On 4/25/2011 8:28 AM Higgs Boson spake thus:

If it's really that valuable, I suppose so.

I've got newsprint (saved newspaper article clippings) from the 1980s that are still in excellent condition, and I'd expect them to last, oh, probably centuries, unless they somehow got wet and stayed wet. So I wouldn't sweat it.

You've heard about that guy who discovered just how long paper lasts in landfills? The "garbologist" who excavated paper that had been buried in landfills decades prior. In most cases, the papers could still be easily read. Stuff lasts a long time.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

In a few thousand years will they be talking about the Dead Sea CDs (grin)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman