OT: Streaming Netflix

Page 1 of 3
I have been using the little red envelopes for years, but recently got curious about streaming instead. Anybody use that? Satisfied? Prefer to red envelopes?
After talking to a Netflix employee, I got the following impression:
1. I have to buy a "streaming Netflix player/plug-in" -- he thought $40-$50 ??
2. There is "unlimited" watching.
3. But there will not be as much content available as with the DVDs.
Doesn't sound like the world's greatest deal, so why do people opt for it?
TIA
HB
On 04/21/2014 08:36 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

$40 to $150

Yes

True.

NO COMMERCIALS!!!
Way, Way cheaper than cable

Hi Higgs,
Have had it for years and love it. Everything is out of date though. Love watch TV series without the commercials.
You need to get a ROKU or Amazon box to play it and a wired or wireless connection to your Internet.
You can also watch on a Windows computer.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Just hook up an old PC to your TV and you are good to go.
There was a long discussion about this a week or so ago.
It is the perfect use for one of those XP machines that are heading for the landfill. It is true that there is more on DVD but I bet that will change.
[snip]

I remember being surprised to find out that some people thought the OS they got on their PC was an inseparable part of it.
Also, it could be 3 more years before you have trouble getting software for XP.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 4/22/2014 12:42 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

No. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the lack of future support for XP means it is vulnerable to exploits. Standard anti-virus, anti-malware software won't protect it. Your home network is only as secure as its weakest link.

Or it could be now, or even a couple of years ago. It depends on what any particular software provider decides to do.
In short: XP boxes shouldn't be run on a network that connects to the internet, unless you are actively soliciting having your network and data compromised.
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:03:47 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Seems a bit of an over-reaction. Antivirus software is still available for XP and will be for some time to come. It's true MSFT isn't going to issue any more security updates for XP, but not sure how big of an issue that really is. Most of the holes that are exploited are new ones that are found in new software releases. XP has been out for a long time, the security issues found have been fixed. And most hackers are going to be spending their time looking for ways to screw the most systems, not a rapidly decaying segement of the old PCs out there. So, I'm not sure there is a big worry there for the typical home user. Even with Win 8 and the latest antivirus software, there is no guarantee that it won't be susceptable to some virus attacks. Look at the virus software tests that PC Mag and similar do every year and all the antivirus software misses some of them.
To be sure, I would not be looking at XP for a new application, but I wouldn't be panicing either.
On 04/22/2014 01:03 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[snip]

Of course "ad nauseum" has nothing to do with being right.

Don't use IE. Other browsers ARE being supported.

Right. AV software is at best your SECOND line of defense. The first is your wetware, that is, pay attention to what you're doing.

That is usually someone who clicks everything.

3 years was an estimate based on my experience with Windows 2000.

Most such attacks depend on the users' cooperation. Try not to do that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
|I have been using the little red envelopes for years, but recently got curious about streaming instead. Anybody use that? Satisfied? Prefer to red envelopes? |
I get the DVD service and love it. I still don't know how they can afford such cheap prices, given Hollywood royalty costs.
I had a chance awhile back to check out Netflix streaming service and was unimpressed. I didn't recognize the movies listed on the front page. When I searched for a few things I might be interested in, they weren't there.
So I think it depends on what you watch. If you're happy watching any old thing but like to see a lot of TV, it will probably seem a very good deal. If you like to see "art house" movies, good foreign movies, recent *good* movies, movies that have won awards at Sundance, etc, then I'm guessing you'd be very frustrated with the streaming offerings. I find that I can get nearly anything on the DVDs, but it seems that the way they afford to give you an all-you-can-eat streaming menu is because Hollywood only approves the dregs, which are no longer making money elsewhere, to be streamed.
(Also, of course, you'd want to make sure you have a fast enough connection without any surprise overage fees that might kick in. Watching TV online takes a lot of bytes.)
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 09:13:32 -0400, "Mayayana"

+1 on that. Also, I've read that the streaming movie selection is pathetic compared to the DVD selection. I assuming that NetFlix is pushing streaming so it can get away from postage; but I would rather pay more and keep the DVDs.

I've read other complaints like that.
On 4/22/2014 12:52 PM, CRNG wrote:

We've had Netflix streaming for along time. The movie selection isn't bad but it isn't great. It's well worth the $9/mth. There are some really great series:
Lillyhammer, Breaking Bad, Rectify, and a bunch of others.
Streaming Netflix can turn you into a couch potato if you let it. Another good streaming video provider is Amazon Prime and with it you get free 2 day shipping for items bought on Amazon. It is one of the best deals out there. If I had to chose one or the other I'd take Amazon Prime.
Now we just have a HDTV antenna and the two streaming video services.
"Crackle" is free and worth looking into too.
http://www.crackle.com/
Nah....Netflix's a great deal but I heard today they are raising the price for new subscribers.
On 4/22/2014 6:15 PM, gonjah wrote:

Especially since Amazon and HBO just announced a new deal:
HBO Is Bringing a Ton of Its Shows to Amazon Prime
Amazon just announced an agreement that makes Prime Instant Video the only place you can watch HBO originals online without an HBO subscription. Starting May 21st, Prime members will get exclusive, unlimited streaming access to pretty much every HBO original you're interested in except Game of Thrones...
http://gizmodo.com/hbo-is-bringing-a-ton-of-its-shows-to-amazon-prime-1566504724/all
CRNG wrote:

A couple of things lately have made me wonder if they're subtly pushing people off DVDs. First, they moved their distribution center to Salt lake. From where I live, that's two days for mail delivery. They do not appear to work on Saturdays either, so for the most part no matter when I mail a DVD, I'm not going to see a replacement until the Wednesday of next week. This is close to the throttling that got them into trouble before.
More troubling, I've got about 50 titles on my queue currently with about 50% being short, long, or very long waits. One is 'unknown' and has been in that status literally for years. Several of the long waits have been there for months. Actually, the newer TV series seem to do better than the older theatrical movies. What I really liked about Netflix was the ability to get classic, foreign, and obscure DVDs. If they drop those in favor of new releases, RedBox beckons.
On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:13:37 AM UTC-7, rbowman wrote:

Have left your msg in despite the hatchet-job folks, so I can respond by item.
My local mailing address is still local and is fast turnaround. Only time it's more is on weekend/holiday.
Roger your comment about "classic, foreign and obscure DVDs". That's basically what I want from Netflix, as I am NOT NOT NOT into contemporary pop films, few of which appeal outside the 13-24 year male action bang-bang no-story genres.
Can't speak to the po$tage factor, but might well BE a negative for Netflix.
ATC, Mayayana reflects my view: I am definitely NOT happy watchinng "any old thing".
He said:
"So I think it depends on what you watch. If you're happy watching any old thing but like to see a lot of TV, it will probably seem a very good deal. If you like to see "art house" movies, good foreign movies, recent *good* movies, movies that have won awards at Sundance, etc, then I'm guessing you'd be very frustrated with the streaming offerings. I find that I can get nearly anything on the DVDs, but it seems that the way they afford to give you an all-you-can-eat streaming menu is because Hollywood only approves the dregs, which are no longer making money elsewhere, to be streamed."
So I think conservative moi will stay with the red envelopes. After all, if it's that unbearable being w/o a DVD during a turnaround evg, I can always get a DVD from the Library.
Thanks again to all for input.
HB

There no subtly about it. They would love all their customers to go "digital". The problem is the digital selection sucks and a lot of people in the U.S. still can't get anything more than dial up.
If I was required to go digital, I would just cancel my account.
CRNG wrote:

Same here. 4G wireless is a lot better that dialup but it's still not up to streaming much more than youtube videos most of the time. I've got Amazon Prime for the shipping and other perks but their streaming service is as useful as tits on a bull to me unless I want to stay late at work.

I live in a rural area and around here we consider a dial-tone to be a miracle. In this state the utilities own the Public Utilities Commission.
<stuff snipped>

It's that way in almost every state. Here in the DC area Verizon is actively working to convert all their dial tone/copper wire customers to FIOS. I've told them repeatedly I don't want a phone line that can't support a dial up modem, that isn't regulated by the public service commission, that runs out of battery power in an emergency and that depends on the stability of the Verizon computer network.
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Verizon-Fios-Phone-Copper-Customers-Say-They-Felt- Pressured-Into-Fios-235098041.html
http://tinyurl.com/n3xgwvp
I'm with you - the sound of a dial tone is a miracle. When all the cellphones went out in the DC area on 9/11, the landlines kept on truckin'. I assume that the VOIP service will crash pretty much the same way when everyone gets on their phone in an emergency all at the same time. It's really a public safety issue but since the PSC has been "captured" by the companies they regulate they don't care. They're hastening the destruction of the copper phone network that has demonstrated far greater overall reliability than any of its replacement technologies. That's progress, I guess. )-:
One good thing about being one of the last of the dinosaur dial-up guys is that with the exodus of subscribers from copper phone lines, there's hardly *ever* any crosstalk on the lines these says. The tech told me I had the only dial tone on a 50 pair trunk cable. It's lonely at the top (and bottom).
FWIW, the Feds probably want everyone to switch to VOIP so they can more easily monitor everyone's phone conversations.
Give me that old time religion, give me that old time religion, give me that old time religion, it's good enough for me!
--
Bobby G.

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:17:15 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

verizon FIOS ROTTEN SERVICE was by far the worst customer service of my lif e!!
TV hadnt rolled out in my area yet.....
The fios internet actually worked pretty good. But the phone was terrible, echoes, noise every 12 calls, I couldnt hear the caller. long difficult to manuver thru auto attendant, then the killer message. were sorry all reps a re busy now please try your call again later, goodbye system hangs up, unfr iendly reps who all blamed my interior wiring even though the first road te ch remarked my accout, problem reproduced with house totally disconnected. while this mess was going on every few nights at dinner time reps would rin g my doorbell trying to sell me tv, after sending them a registered letter to stop I had police escort them off my property. because I had 6 phone lin es at one time I was getting multiple solicitation calls daily:( I was unde r contract for phone and internet, they said even though the phone didnt wo rk reliably it was against company policy to let me out of contract.....
I still had one line on copper, my business line. One day I realized I NEVE R called out on that line, so I called and cancelled the outgoing call pack age... saving 35 bucks a month, they cancelled my business service, They fi xed it in a hour but the system burped and did it again a few days later, M y line was out of service for 4 days, callers got the number you called is no longer in service, no futher info is available:( this cost me customers: ( they thought I went out of business.
I canceled ALL verizon land service and ordered them to remove the copper a nd fibre drop and all equiptement! they finally agreed when I threatened th em with a FIOS SUCKS BANNER on my home.
fios sucked for me......
oh the noise wasnt my home it was a bad card in the central office that eff ected everyone in my prefix
oh the backup battery failed at 6 months and verizon wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a new one. my fios box beeped alarm 24 / 7 for nearly a month. t he phone reps didnt know how to turn off the alarm, I found the ilence alar m button when replacing the battery
<stuff snipped>

[...]
I knew I didn't want FIOS VOIP but now I know I *really* don't want it. Thanks for sharing. Verizon hired kids to canvass the area and really work on the holdouts like me. They were SO insistent I had to hit them with a few seconds of the VERY loud alarm bell on the porch to make them go away. (-:
--
Bobby G.

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:11:01 PM UTC-7, Robert Green wrote:

WHATTTT???!!!!
Are you saying that Verizon FIOS (tfui,tfui, tfui..
IS NOT REGULATED BY YOUR STATE'S PUC? (In California that's what it's called: Public Utilities Commission.)
Are we talking about phone? Or FIOS package? .
Which part of phone svx is regulated by State (I thought) and which by Feds (if..?
Is copper regulated differently than fiber? Confused.
Please confirm, or kindly refer me to a source.
TIA
HB
[...]