OT Stop signs

Page 1 of 2
OT
**How many of you remember when stop signs were yellow, because red faded a lot.
On 03/05/2014 06:37 PM, micky wrote:

They were changed to red because red was more visible.
I do remember the yellow ones though....and on a private road near my house there was still a yellow stop sign as recently as about 20 years ago.
BTW: "Stop" was the very first word I ever learned how to read.
I came home one day and asked my parents what P O T S spells.
After they asked me a few questions they realized I was reading a stop sign backwards. I knew the letters but did not know which direction they were supposed to go.

That's pretty funny. And an insight into how people, at least you, think.
Mine was probably boy, or whatever is first in the first grade reader. I didn't learn much on my own.
On 03/05/2014 11:36 PM, micky wrote:

I was pretty smart when I was a kid, but it did not take me too long to get dumb.
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:36:05 AM UTC-8, philo  wrote:

Happens to all of us, I got dumb when my son was 7 and stayed dumb until he moved out :)
Harry K

evening news, in its infinite wisdom, interviewed some high school kids and they all thought it was good that it would be easier. They grade the SATs on a curve, so they'll probaly still get the same score for the first and now only 800 points.
And today, ABC, which tries to get 2, 3, even 5 days of stories out of every story and even evert piece of videotape they shoot.
ABC touted that the words in the English part will now not include little used words like panegyric, only commonly used words. So how will they tell who is better read than other kids? Probably they'll punish their scores more for making errors on common words, so they'll be testing reliability under pressure instead of knowledge.
I had a big advantage when I took the SATs. I'd been offered algebra in the 8th grade, so I'd had all the math classes by the end of my junior year for any problem on the test. In fact I'd had every problem on the test, just with different numbers. And my mother had a large vocabulary, so even though I didnt' read much, I knew a lot of words. Oh they also had a word list in the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, and I did my job and learned them all. My mother certainly didn't grow up with money, and neither did I after my father died when I was 8. (He had insurance. We weren't poor either. )
By the time I was first or second year in college I had realized that the Scholastic Aptitude Test did not test aptitude but learning. It's very hard to test aptitude. I wouldn't know how to do it. And about 20 or 30 years, they changed the name to the Scholastic Assessment Test, as it should have been in the first place.
/rant off
The first stop signs appeared in Detroit in 1915 - black on white. By 1922 urban signs were standardized, with different standards for urban and rural signs. They then went to yellow in 1924, and red on yellow in 1930. In 1954 all stop signs in USA were white on red.
Before reflecterized signs, they used "cat's eyes" in the letters to reflect lights.
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:36:23 PM UTC-8, micky wrote:

<snip>

When I was a young boy (don't ask, but Jesus was a few grades ahead of me), there was a Donald Duck comic strip that had that and some other words tha t he was reading backwards. I can't recall any of the others though.
Harry

Red is more visible? At night they look black. that's why firetrucks were changed from red TO yellow!
On 03/06/2014 05:43 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

The secret to having red /not/ look black at night is to drive with your lights on.
I've never seen a yellow fire truck.
Of course I live in Milwaukee and it takes things a bit longer to get here.
On 3/6/2014 6:43 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

And why they are changing back to red again.
On 03/06/2014 05:43 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I haven't seen any yellow fire trucks yet. Even the new one the city got last year was red.
Red is a dark color.
I once heard that green was the most visible color at night.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
<stuff snipped>

If people can't see a fire truck lit up like a Christmas tree at night - and they all are around here, not sure about elsewhere - they should turn in their license. At night it doesn't matter much what color the truck is. Even in the day, the lights and sirens make the colors sort of irrelevant. I have seen lime green firetrucks in the past, but I suppose they realized that red has been the color of firetrucks since there have been firetrucks and when it was time to buy new ones, they went with "Firetruck Classic." (-: I don't recall seeing any yellow firetrucks lately.
--
Bobby G.

On 03/06/2014 02:04 PM, Robert Green wrote:
[snip]

I've been to the local Christmas parade, where the fire trucks (red) and police cars (white with blue marking) pass just a few feet away. Those (LED?) lights are very bright and the sirens almost loud enough to hurt.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I recall a legal case filed (unsuccessfully) against a fire company and truck driver for allegedly giving a man a heart attack by honking their incredible loud horns when they were directly behind him at a stop light. I recall there have been other, similar suits about loud bells and sirens. Nevertheless, sirens keep getting louder and lights brighter every year. Here's the latest in loud noise technology:
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27676244/
<<"The most frequent thing motorists say to us is they didn't see the ambulance coming," Wells said at a Tuesday news conference, where the new technology was demonstrated.
During the demonstration, two ambulances were parked near each other. A plastic stepladder with three glasses of liquid on top was placed in between the vehicles. The ambulance without the Howler sounded its siren and produced its familiar wail. Then, the Howler, which produced booms that sounded like a 1980s video game played at an earsplitting level. The liquids in the three glasses rippled. Wells jokingly said the new sirens sounded like "a vacuum cleaner on steroids.">>
--

Bobby G.

Those two webpages about red and yellow said that they had increased reflectivity by the time they went to red. Not so much the red but the white letters STOP had reflective stuff.
On 03/05/2014 07:02 PM, philo wrote:
[snip]

Plain Old Telephone Service

On 3/6/2014 12:09 PM, hah wrote:

The guy on the right, with the black hair:
http://scottbaio.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/chachipotsieandralph.jpg
--
.
Christopher A. Young

But not when Philo was a boy, because that was the only telephone service there was. And you were lucky to have that.
Beaver lives in a better house than I did, but afaict, they only have one extension.

On 03/06/2014 10:51 PM, micky wrote:

That's right. I can still remember the day I came home from school and my mom showed me they put a dial on the phone and calls were no longer placed through the operator. I did not see how that was an improvement.