OT-Square Root Day

Page 3 of 3
On 4/6/2016 12:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

/|\ [] |"""""""""""--__ /| |\ / | \ || |____________--"" ( |__| ) | ( ) | || | | \ / | .-. | || | | |12| ]( 0 )[ || | | | | / `-' \ || | | | | / /' `\ \ || | | | | | | | | |%%| | | | | | | | | ,'`, | | | | | | | | |||| | | |14| | | | | |||| | | / __ \ \ \ / / |||| | | ( | | ) `-' `-' `--' `-' \| |/

You are still wasting a bit and you are really thinking in decimal, not binary. Obviously you are new in the computer biz. I was around when a bit cost about a hundred dollars. We didn't waste them. 2 bit slots (10) represents 4 states
0 = people who don't understand binary 1 = people who do understand binary 10 = people who think they understand binary 11 = people who don't give a shit anymore
11 here
On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 12:21:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've been in the computer biz for 39 years.

You're thinking about states.
The original statement was about a number, the number of kinds of people. 0 may be a state, but it doesn't represent a kind of people.
There are two (10) kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Who says? Maybe those are the ones who DO understand it.
My point is that if you want to create a new discussion, you can do that. but the original discussion was about 10 (two) kinds of people, not two states one of which could be zero. Zero is not a kind of person.
It's not funny to write there is one state (01) in addition to the zero state, of people, the state of understanding and the state of not understanding. That's not funny. It's not a joke.
Those who are arguing with you aren't doing so because they are they are thinking in decimal but because they are thinking in humor.

Well that explains it. By 1977 bits were cheap. In 1965 we did not have the luxury of wasting 2 bits to describe 2 things.
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 10:49:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

In 1965 it would have required one vacuum tube for every bit.
You will be billed $27,400 for this message.....
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 11:03:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

In those days bits were stored in magnetic cores and they were hand laced into the array. A core plane with 1000 bits on it was considered big. (typically stacked 16 high for a 16k array, with a 2 byte data path.) In 1965 we were already transistors on chips (s/360) but the discrete transistor on card design had been around for several years. (70xx, 14xx)
BTW the prototype 370 m145 was still using M2I core storage arrays. IBM made 10 of them and we ended up with #00001 and #00002 in the DC area.
[snip]

I never actually got to use core memory, but I did get to see some in college. It looked like a piece of thick black cloth.
BTW, IIRC reading a core could actually change what was stored in it.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Reading a core erased it so you had to have circuitry to rewrite it or change it. You sent a pulse to flip it and then sensed whether it flipped or not. The cores are strung in a matrix with an X and Y wire going through each one. If there is current on both wires, it will flip the core, if it is only in one wire it will not flip. The material is carefully selected to have a very high hysteresis so it will work that way.

There are 10 types of people in the world: -those who understand ternary <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ternary_numeral_system -those who don't -those who were expecting the binary joke
On 04/06/2016 03:33 AM, jimbo wrote:
[snip]

Once I found a book by someone suggesting that ternary was the best possible way to write numerals, and everyone should use it.
IIRC it had to do with 3 being the closest whole number to e <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_%28mathematical_constant%29 .
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 04/04/2016 05:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

If 10 + 10 = 100, it's a computer.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 4/4/2016 2:58 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I can amaze engineers at cocktail parties, the world around.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Depends on how you write (and interpret) the dates, e.g. 2025 = 45^2, so we might say it will happen again on 4/5/2025.

And 2025 also has an integral square root (45).