OT, Slightly - anybody know how to fix this fridge door?

Have a KitchenAid low profile fridge which has three doors. left, right, and freezer. Model KFCS22evms

If you have ever seen these types of doors, they are a marvel of mechanical design. There's a flap mounted on the left door that forms a seal with the right door. Yet, EITHER door can open. However, the left door is a bit difficult to open if the right door is left closed.

Anybody know if there is an adjustment, or a lubricating spot, in order to make it easy for the left door to open? I've got copies of the pdf manuals, if somebody has gone through this before and would kindly help me here; really appreciate it.

Note: Customer Service won't let me talk to a repair technician. Want to set appointment and have employee come out! I'm out in the country and that's a total waste of everybody's time. Rather just let me talk to a knowledgeable person to tell me what to fix, lookat, or change in some way. If THAT fails, then have someone come out. But NO, won't let me talk to anybody, so I have to post here.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Did you call the dealer that you bought it from? Maybe they have a service tech you can talk to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for the thought. but, they were the first ones I called, and they said they use the 'factory authroized' repair outlets and do not have their own maintenance dept.

I even tried local outlet stores around here to see if I could find a 'grandfather' repair guy that has experience, but no luck. Some were surprisingly rude. Guess they won't be around next year.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I clean and treat most "rubber" seals with silicone once or twice a year.

Cheap to try, can't hurt. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

This won't help yoiu. Sorry.

I don't know if they still have it, but in the 70's and for quite a few years or decades after, Whirlpol hada "Cool Line" to answer questions and it was clear talking to them that they had been authentic repairmen. I talked to four of them over the days I worked on my washing machine, and they all knew their business, even the woman, and on one ever told me that some part requrired authorized personel to remove it. I think they were open 12 hours a day.

But I hadn't run an old machine for a month or more and the main bearing, inside the center post had rusted shut, wouldn't turn and I couldn't pry the basket up, and the last one finally said it was dead.

Want

Reply to
micky

I just googled the OP's model#. It looks like each door has a hinge at the very top and bottom of each door. Most of the fridges that I've worked on can be easily adjusted by loosening the screws for these hinges. Then just adjust the door a little and tighten the screws, I've never worked on this particular model, so this is my quess. I would do the top hinge first on the left door and see if you can move it outwards a little. Then adjust the bottom hinge on that side to make it even. Hopefully this helps.

Reply to
rlz

Not so fast. These refrigerators have a wire running down inside the left hinge. One simple pinch of the wire can knock out the circuit board.

How I know this is, I bought one. Was transferring the items from the old fridge into the new one. The delivery guys just pulled out of the drive, when a spark flew out the left top hinge, and blew the circuit board! Needless to say, I got another new fridge the following day.

What a horrible place to run a wire, but I guess it's for the door alarm.

To the OP. Try cleaning with soap and water, it's in the manual.

Reply to
Stoney

not a bad idea! I have a can of spray from having to do all the sliding aluminum frame doors/windows. Have to be very careful, because that spray migrates EVERYWHERE! and this fridge has that nasty stainless steel finish. But I could try spraying else where on paper towel and then wipe the mating surfaces. You sure the silicon spray won't deteriorate the fridge's plastics? If not, you may have the solution.

Reply to
Robert Macy

it is a sad commentary that during the tanking economy when the 'service industry' is the only one thriving that one cannot find service!

Whirlpol is now under the umbrella of ?? conglomerate, so they're all one now.

I also remember calling and talking directly to skilled service personel to 'walk' you through changing the boot seal on a tub washing machine. Very patient they were, too.

Reply to
Robert Macy

The doors are EXACTLY lined up and extremely even - even for my eyes. The problem seems to be more the excessive friction as the flap tries to come out from under the right hand door. Once left hand door is opened it seems to close with the flap re-inserting under the right hand door as it closes, no problem there. It's more trying to open it the first time WITH the right hand door closed. My workaround has been to open the right hand door a small bit, quickly open the left hand door, let the right hand door close, and all is well, except *IF* the flap does not completely flip back against the left hand door. then, the flap hits the right hand door preventing the left hand door from even closing. simply touching the flap seats it properly [moves maybe

1/8 inch] and the door seems to close fairly easily with low friction.
Reply to
Robert Macy

Thanks for the 'heads up' about a wire!

The firdge is new, was cleaned before putting into service, and is kept spotless. [We're talking even cleaned items ONLY go into it. The result is that there is NEVER any fridge odors, EVER] But I will take a look to make sure a sticky film has NOT ocurred along that flap's sliding surfaces. Can happen. Thinking about it, the fridge is next to the area I sanded joint compound repairs with noticeable dust below on the floor, not noticeable at the fridge's distance, but perhaps small amount of dust-grit migrated there and has increased friction. At first I was offended at the concept people thought I was dirty and immediatelly rejected the concept that I needed to clean my firdge, but...you may still have something there. Will check. If true, comes under the heading of, "DUH!"

Reply to
Robert Macy

As far as I know silicone is inert and attacks nothing. It works great to prevent car door seals from freezing stuck (and is the "active" ingredient in "Armor All").

I use a clean piece of cloth rag I can toss out. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

That's right. They were never in a hurry, and I ended every conversation iirc.

Reply to
micky