OT - Sharpie markers dried out

You don't fix light bulbs? Wasteful!

Hours, after spending a day asking how to restore them on the Usenet, obviously.
Add pictures here
✖
Hey, can we fix burnt out light bulbs? Neat!
Slightest problem? A sharpie is dried out and useless. Sort of like a burnt out lightbulb being a slight problem.
A 3 pack of sharpies is ~ $2. And a 12 pack ~ $7. How much effort should go into the project of attempting to renew a sharpie?
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:35:14 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

A burnt out lightbulb has a chance of being fixed, unlike your burnt out brain that is beyond repair!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 15, 7:06 am, "Stormin Mormon"

I soaked mine in ethanol alcohol and got them to write some more
Add pictures here
✖

I have had times when I have marked something with a Sharpie that I wanted to remove. If the surface is impervious alcohol works well. I use alcohol of the type that is used to thin shellac or to use in little heaters.
Charlie
Add pictures here
✖
On 01/17/13 10:10 am, Charlie wrote:

Rubbing alcohol (sometimes ethyl alcohol, sometimes isopropyl alcohol, plus other chemicals to "denature" it) works to remove "Sharpie" marks, but to renovate a dried-out marker you want something that evaporates more quickly. The ones I have are labeled "Nontoxic," and I don't think xylene (suggested by somebody else) falls into that category.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖

Acetone
Add pictures here
✖
On 01/17/13 10:29 am, notbob wrote:

But I don't think it counts as "nontoxic," as my Sharpie markers are labeled. I just uncapped a "good" Sharpie and sniffed: possibly MEK (=methyl ethyl ketone)? -- but I'm not sure how "nontoxic" that is ether.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖
Around here, rubbing alcohol is 30% water, I'd not waste my time trying that on removing sharpie. I would try denatured alcohol.
I did buy another box of black markers. I'll try some various solvents on the old pens, see if anything works.
wrote in message
Rubbing alcohol (sometimes ethyl alcohol, sometimes isopropyl alcohol, plus other chemicals to "denature" it) works to remove "Sharpie" marks, but to renovate a dried-out marker you want something that evaporates more quickly. The ones I have are labeled "Nontoxic," and I don't think xylene (suggested by somebody else) falls into that category.
Perce
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:36:58 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

What I've found removes Sharpie is Expo white board cleaner. Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether. (butoxyethanol).
This IS the solvent used in Sharpie fine tip markers. If you can inject butoxyethanol into the barrel of the sharpie there is a GOOD chance the sharpie can be resurected.
Add pictures here
✖