OT - Sharpie markers dried out

Slightest problem? A sharpie is dried out and useless. Sort of like a burnt out lightbulb being a slight problem.

A 3 pack of sharpies is ~ $2. And a 12 pack ~ $7. How much effort should go into the project of attempting to renew a sharpie?

Reply to
George

I have had times when I have marked something with a Sharpie that I wanted to remove. If the surface is impervious alcohol works well. I use alcohol of the type that is used to thin shellac or to use in little heaters.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You don't fix light bulbs? Wasteful!

Hours, after spending a day asking how to restore them on the Usenet, obviously.

Reply to
krw

Rubbing alcohol (sometimes ethyl alcohol, sometimes isopropyl alcohol, plus other chemicals to "denature" it) works to remove "Sharpie" marks, but to renovate a dried-out marker you want something that evaporates more quickly. The ones I have are labeled "Nontoxic," and I don't think xylene (suggested by somebody else) falls into that category.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Acetone

Reply to
notbob

But I don't think it counts as "nontoxic," as my Sharpie markers are labeled. I just uncapped a "good" Sharpie and sniffed: possibly MEK (=methyl ethyl ketone)? -- but I'm not sure how "nontoxic" that is ether.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Hey, can we fix burnt out light bulbs? Neat!

.

Slightest problem? A sharpie is dried out and useless. Sort of like a burnt out lightbulb being a slight problem.

A 3 pack of sharpies is ~ $2. And a 12 pack ~ $7. How much effort should go into the project of attempting to renew a sharpie?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Around here, rubbing alcohol is 30% water, I'd not waste my time trying that on removing sharpie. I would try denatured alcohol.

I did buy another box of black markers. I'll try some various solvents on the old pens, see if anything works.

.

Rubbing alcohol (sometimes ethyl alcohol, sometimes isopropyl alcohol, plus other chemicals to "denature" it) works to remove "Sharpie" marks, but to renovate a dried-out marker you want something that evaporates more quickly. The ones I have are labeled "Nontoxic," and I don't think xylene (suggested by somebody else) falls into that category.

Perce

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What I've found removes Sharpie is Expo white board cleaner. Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether. (butoxyethanol).

This IS the solvent used in Sharpie fine tip markers. If you can inject butoxyethanol into the barrel of the sharpie there is a GOOD chance the sharpie can be resurected.

Reply to
clare

A burnt out lightbulb has a chance of being fixed, unlike your burnt out brain that is beyond repair!

Reply to
homeowner