OT - saving the environment

One example comes to mind. Flow restrictors on faucets. Supposing I'm washing the car. I need five gallon bucket, half full of hot water and soap. If I half-fill the bucket off unrestricted faucet, it half-fills in about a minute. And suppose I half-fill the bucket on a sink that's got a

1.5 gallon per minute aerator, on it. It takes much longer to half-fill the bucket. Now, for 10 bonus points, and one letter grade increase. How much water was saved by using the flow restricted faucet, and waiting several minutes to half-fill the bucket?

And how much extra did that flow restricted faucet cost me, to install?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You saved nothing and the aerator came with the trailer.

Reply to
Thomas

Which half of the bucket are you filling - the bottom, or the top? It makes a difference.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

My impression of the environmentalists is that they don't really care about saving the environment as much as they want to impose inconvenience, cost and restrictions on the rest of us. If we don't suffer, we aren't attoning properly for our sins against the earth. In case you think you haven't sinned against the earth, to them just being human is enough. Sort of like original sin.

Reply to
Pavel314

You're half right. They do not care about saving the environment. But they don't necessarily want to bother others either. Don't automatically attribute to malevolence that which can be explained by silliness.

What they WANT is to BELONG. To a movement. It really doesn't matter whether the movement is saving the environment, banning the bra, or agitating for voting rights for chestnuts (as a matter of fact, membership in mass movements is interchangeable).

People mind their own business when it's worth minding. When it's not, they take their mind off their own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business. By subsuming their egos in a popular uprising, their own self-worth is validated. If a popular goal matters to so many, and those many matter to a new member, that new member's life suddenly has a purpose. All he has to do to be accepted by the many is support some nebulous, and preferably unobtainable, goal.

Fortunately, achieving the ten-thousand friends level on Facebook will keep them out of our hair for some time. Then, one hopes, they'll begin working toward the 9th Level (Treachery) of Hell, passing through lust, gluttony, violence, fraud, etc.

Reply to
HeyBub

This is what you have been trained to opine. Your training has been carried out by high-paid information marketers,hired by our corporate masters. Our corporate masters want to keep on making money NOW, at whatever cost to their grandchildren and the rest of humanity.

The environmentalists you are badmouthing are ethical professionals in their fields. They make a fraction of the income earned by our corporate masters and their well-paid marketing lackeys. I know you will have a hard time believing that there are honest people who really care about humanity, and who prefer to work in an ethical field rather than make a fortune in the short run by peddling disinformatiion.

These environmentalists -- to use your generic term -- are not remotely interested in imposing on your credulous self "inconvenience, cost and restrictions." What they ARE interested in, is calling attention to the FACTS of environmental degradation, hoping that at least some of us will become active in forestalling the destruction of our environment before it is too late.

Louis V of France centuries ago said it most succinctly. The philosophy of our corporate masters and their lackeys is: "Apres moi, le deluge" =3D "After me, the flood". Basically, I get mine and f**k you.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Oddly, I find the right wing to be the real belongers. They belong to Churches and Tea Parties and follow their favorite Right Wing Talk Show hosts. What the far left does is simply more colorful, and seems sillier.

I've been to Pat Buchanan (remember him?) rallies, and to the Tea Party ones as well. They are rather drab affairs with a lot of flag waving and singing of patriotic songs at best. The stuff the left does is a lot more creative. Both extremes are, of course, crazy as loons. It appears though that the crazies on the right are the ones being heard by their base. That is not true currently of the left.

It really doesn't matter whether

Probably on the left more so than the right. I agree.

I'm reminded of What Mark Twain said: I belong to no organized political party, I'm a Democrat. Now, look at how lockstep the Republicans are.

Now, as far as the OP, what outdoor faucet or bathtub has a flow restricter? I'm not sure about kitchen faucets but my new kitchen faucet kicks ass. Flow restrictors aren't hard to remove, at any rate. Where I live water is often my highest utility, so I look for the water saver stuff.

You know that bathroom sink faucets used to have two spouts. You'd fill up the basin and wash with that, rather than letting a long stream of water wash away. We got a little over consumptive over the years. It may be that where the OP lives there is plenty of water, but for much of the US it is getting scarcer and more expensive.

YMMV.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Seems to be an equally arrogant statement on your own there Chris along with what Bob F said.

To say that environmentalists are just in it to inconvenience others is a stupid statement. If it's arrogance to point that out then why?

Personally, I've given up on trying to save the environment due to the arrogance and closed mindedness of the right wingers. It's the same attitude I face when people find out I'm a prepper. They just close their mind and see what they want to see.

-C-

Reply to
Country

Agreed. The sense of isolation - and hence the need to join a movement - exists irrespective of political affiliation. Still, the organizations to which the right-wingers belong tend to be more personal. They join the NRA to protect their own gun rights whereas progressives agitate against killing Mohammadens in Libya.

Actually it was said by Will Rogers. But he was right; the Democrats are more disorganized than the Republicans. The conservatives are made up of two, generally non-competing, groups: Social conservatives and Economic conservatives. They can easily cooperate with each other to their collective benefit.

The Democrats consist of maybe twenty disparate groups: Blacks, unions, environmentalists, Communists, government workers, welfare recipients, anti-war protesters, and so on. Often these groups have conflicting goals. For instance, drilling in ANWAR - the environmentalists are opposed while union members generally support the idea. Getting them to work together is like herding cats!

The only technique that seems to work is a free food bowl.

Reply to
HeyBub

I don;t really see a difference, other than the organizations. Sierra Club, ACLU, etc., etc., etc.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

WTF?, "prepper"? Some new soft drink? Darn, now I'm hearing that song in my head..... I'm a prepper you're a prepper he's a prepper wouldn't you like to be a prepper too?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Sure, everyone can see that the top half is bigger. That's why you always fill the bottom half first.

Reply to
krw

Thanks Higgs. I'm an environmentalist. I don't actually really want to make life tougher for the Stormin Moron, and haven't as far as I can tell. I've never seen a flow restrictor on anything other than a shower head. It makes sense there, especially since I pay for water.

Actually, SM isn't a moron as far as I can tell. He sometimes makes sense, but this isn't one of those times. I've bought several faucets recently and none of them had a flow restrictor. I suspect, as you pointed out, that he gets so much corporate "news" that he can't tell reality from Fox anymore.

And, I'm not bashing all corporations - most do a good job providing services to us, but plenty are multinational concerns (ie, no loyalty to America) that are perfectly willing to hurt America if it benefits their bottom line. Somehow the big super-PATRIOTS watching Fox don't seem to realize this.

Reply to
dgk

"Prepper (noun): An individual or group that prepares or makes preparations in advance of, or prior to, any change in normal circumstances or lifestyle without significant reliance on other persons (i.e., being self-reliant), or without substantial assistance from outside resources (govt., etc.) in order to minimize the effects of that change on their current lifestyle."

I know. Whatever.

Jim

Reply to
JimT