[OT] Pink RV antifreeze in car radiator

Page 1 of 2
I've got some pink RV water line anti freeze. Says not to use in auto radiator / cooling system. Anyone know why this is? I did a web search. One site says it eats aluminum, another says no additives.
Anyone want to share the real reason, and a web site for reference?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 9/20/2015 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Probably does not contain the corrosion inhibitors but should be safe to use if only a little is used.
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 20:28:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It's a secret. If you want to know ask Hillary to send you an email with the answer. No, wait, she doesn't send any secret stuff. Never has, never will. By the way, if she didn't send any secret stuff, what the hell did she do those four years?
On 9/20/2015 8:56 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Best idea I've heard in a while. Got her email adress? Oh, wait, no one does, it's a secret. Nevermind.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

multiple products. RV antifreeze is propylene glycol which should NEVER be mixed with ethylene glycol. Yes, there ARE propylene glycol engine goolants - and some of them are "anhydrous" meaning "no water"
On 9/20/2015 9:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Why not mixed? Why anhydrous?
Any proof of what you write?
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 23:22:11 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Most automotive antifreezes say not to mix them with non-campatible coolants. There are so many different chemical concoctions used as additive packages, some of them organic acids, some containing silica, etc. Mixing them can have unpredictable results.
Evans coolant is a prime example of "anhydrous" propylene glycol coolant.and has many advantages over water-based coolants. It is specified in our Rotax 912 and 914 aircraft engines and is used in a lot of racing engines and antique car restorations since with no water the corrosion issues are virtually non-existant. The hotter it gets the thinner it gets, so it finds leaks that water based coolants would never find - even with them running at higher system pressures than the evans product. The lower pressure required for Evans to eliminate boiling makes it good for older vehicles, and it's high boiling point makes it good for modified street vehicles.
Plumbing antifreeze is a highly diluted propylene glycol. Without knowing it's concentration, it's heat transfer and boiling protection are un-known.
Peak Sierra antifreeze coolant is a water based propylene glycol engine coolant/antifreeze. Nemco is another one, and Amzoil also markets a water-based PG coolant.

On 9/21/2015 12:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young

How cold does it get there? RV antifreeze will not give you the same protection you get with ethylene glycol

Most years, gets down to 0F (think that's -17C). The RV stuff says it goes down to -50.
I've got a leaky radiator, and it would be cheaper to feed it $4 a gal RV stuff, rather than $10 a gal auto stuff.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The obvious question is why not fix the radiator? Is it too big a leak to use some form of stop leak?

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 8:08:23 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

...because he is a cheap fuck, much like micky.
On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 08:08:17 -0500, "Dean Hoffman"

Radiators are cheap. I got one for about $50 for my old Honda. Two hoses and a few screws and I was good as new. These days they usually load from the top and you don't have to remove much to get it out. The hardest part was reaching the plug for the fan.
On 9/21/2015 9:08 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

where the leak is, on plastic surface. Might try drain the water and use epoxy some night, let it cure over night.
My other car is dead in the shop, and my policy is not to work on one car while the other is in the shop. No backup to go for parts and such. So, I fill with water every morning.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Dean Hoffman wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 07:58:44 -0400, Stormin Mormon

You could clean up the bad spot and slap a wad of bondo on it to slow it down. I did that on my nephew's car hafter he put the fan through it in a front end colision and he was able to drive it some 50 miles to the repair shop instead of paying for a tow.
On 9/21/2015 12:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Keeping the options open. Pretty sure I know where the leak is. I may drain the water out, slap on some two part epoxy, and see how it does in the morning. The leak is at the plastic end.
On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 12:47:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I ran an epoxy patched radiator for years in a Camaro. If you reinforce it with aluminum window screen, it is very tough. Just be sure you do good surface prep and that you work the epoxy in well.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Auto. one is both freezing and boiling under pressure. And different chemical dealing with metal, alloys, etc.
On 9/21/2015 12:28 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The RV usage is mostly tubing, and little metal contact. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?
--
.
Christopher A. Young