OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

OT Does anyone know a) what the water temp was where the ship sank in Italy?

How long can one last at that temperature?

b) how far it really was from the ship to land? Because of telephoto lenses, it's very hard to tell. It was 9:30PMtwhen the ship went aground, right? What time? I believe the ship backed up or did something after that to get closer to land. Eventually it was night. What time did the moon rise and how full was it? Was there a a fulll moon on the 9th, 3 days earlier? Full moons rise aboiutt 6PM, standard time, and rise 47.2 minutes later each day. Darkenss is about 40 minutes after sundown, sundown is a little after 5 these days. That mattered when I thought it was daylight wen the ship sanka and if it had been, it woudl have meant was about 2 hours after darkness before the moon rose. But there were lights in houses on the shore.

c) All in all, how many people jumped overboard on the side near the land, and how well did they do? Did they all get to shore. Was there a beach, or rocks? What was the air temp? Would they freeze without dry clothes? At what air temp and wind speed is better to take your clothes than to sit in wet clothes?

How many people jumped over on the far side, which some of the time was easier to jump from, or at least, if stuck inside, I would want to go up instead of down, and if I could, I'd come out on deck on the high side, the sdie farther from the shore in this case.

c What is that thing that sticks out of the side, blelow the water line? It looks like an air foil, a water foil, but it's so small, 20 feet long at most, 5 feet front to back, I'm guessing

Reply to
micky

Stabilizer? To cut down roll.

Reply to
dadiOH

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

According to this page:

about 16C, which is about 61F.

About 2 to 7 hours before unconsciousness, according to this boating-safety page I found:

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I can't wait to hear the voice recorder from the bridge, ie the conversations between the captain and the other officers. There was a videotape shown on TV where the same ship came in close to shore before at night, blowing the horn, putting on a display for people on shore and on the boat.

It's just amazing that with all the modern systems, eg GPS chart plotter, redundancy, etc, humans can still screw up so badly. In the waters where this occured, there was no reason for so many to lose their lives.

Reply to
trader4

Someone said it was a 300 yard swim to shore.

Reply to
Frank

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Its the walmart syndrome. Everyone wants cheap so these cruise lines all operate under foreign flags which have less stringent requirements for little things like crew competency and safety.

Reply to
George

Yep and looks like the first screw up was turning off or at least overriding all the gizmos.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

No, that is the captain and the coast guard after the captain abandoned ship.

We are talking what went on AT THE BRIDGE at the time of the grounding.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have an exclusive transcript:

First Mate: "Hey Cap, check this out. She's got her top off." Captain: "What, in January? Are you nuts?" F: "No, really! Take the binoculars and see for yourself." C: "I think that's a beige top." F: "No, I'm sure I saw nipples." C: "Her bottoms are a different color." F: "Yeah, so she's topless." C: "Could be one of those mix-and-match things. You how women are." F: "Lemme take another look. I swear she's topless. I saw nipples." C: "OK, take the binoculars back."

***CRUNCH***
Reply to
Tegger

"Bob F" wrote in news:jf7qhf$8k3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You two know the regulatory situation surrounding that ship and its crew? You two know exactly why the ship grounded? No, you do not. You know zero. But you spout non-sequiturs anyway.

Why not wait until the investigation is finished before touting your personal biases?

Reply to
Tegger

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks. Well, I'm not a strong swimmer or a good swimmer, but I think even I could get to the land in that time.

And if I knew there were houses (one picture did make it seem like the houses could be seen from the deck), I wouldn't hesitate to knock on the door.

I wonder how many people swam to the shore. It does seem that everyone who got out of the middle of the ship survived.

Did anyone drown outsdide the ship?

Theyt've had sonar for 65+ years, and I think they've had sonar that warns of underwater rocks for almost that long.

Reply to
micky

Look at how fancy that ship was. I'm sure it had all the electroncs anyone has invented.

Yes it does. And there is a regulartory body for passenger lines. But you can lead a captain to the pilot house but you can't make him look at the gauges.

Reply to
micky

We don't know enough to convict someone at a trial, but we know enough to have an opinion here. The ship grounded because he sailed too close to shore. There are if I measured correctly 6 miles from the island to the nearest piece of mainland. He was only 100 or 200 years away when he ripped a hole in his hull.

His statement about regulations was not meant to say regulations would have prevented this accident. It was about electronic equipment, not wiilfful departure from the planned course. The captain wasn't following the regulatoins that exist now.

Maybe someone else also didn't follow the planned course. Maybe many didn't. They were lucky their ship didn't founder. This guy was not.

We won't be interested in the topic 6 months from now.

Reply to
micky

Maybe disregard what I said in another post I can't swim 300 yards, although maybe with a life vest I could.

I think it may have hit the rocks 300 yards away, and then moved closer to the land (which the captain is taking much credit for.). One photo from the side made it look like it was only the height of the smokestack away from land.

Maybe hte smart thing to do was take coat hangers or chairs and make oneself a hook to hang on the side with. Later, when t he ship was sideways, maybe one could just sit on the side.

Reply to
micky

It's called a f*ck-up. We all do it. The difference is that most of us just hit the backspace key and type in the correct value.

You can't do that with a cruise ship.

Reply to
Ted

I'd be standing against the wall on the high side. When it tipped far enough you'd just stand on the wall against the floor - and wait. No reason for anyone to have died.

Reply to
clare

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Worth reading, even if you only go on ponds.

Esp "Do not massage the victim?s arms and legs. Massage will cause the circulatory system to take cold blood from the surface into the body?s core, resulting in further temperature drop. Do not give alcohol, which causes loss of body heat, or coffee and tea which are stimulants (and cause vasodilation) and may have the same effect as massage."

These are the only "remedies" they show on tv and movies, and they're all bad, it seems.

Reply to
micky

You can lead a captain to the pilot house, but you can't make him THINK. I was told the second in command, or the engineer - told him to move away from shore and stay in deep water and he as much as said "shut up

- I"M the captain."

Then a sickening, tearing crash.

Reply to
clare