OT: Peanut butter, again

edited, read entire article online. Aparently affected are institutions. And consumer products containing peanut butter as part of some other food.)

JANUARY 16, 2009, 9:45 P.M. ET

453 Illnesses, 5 Deaths Tied To Peanut Butter

linked to a salmonella outbreak that is believed to have been caused by peanut butter and peanut paste.

Officials investigating a Peanut Corporation of America manufacturing plant in Georgia as the source of the outbreak.

recall of peanut butter produced on or after Aug. 8, 2008 and peanut paste produced on or after Sept. 26, 2008 at its Blakely, Georgia facility.

The outbreak has affected 43 states and Canada. peanut paste used in consumer products. was not directly marketed to consumers.

bulk packaging to distributors for institutional and food-service industry, Those products were sold to nursing homes, schools, hospitals, and bakeries

also makes a peanut paste that's used in consumer products like crackers, cookies and ice cream sold in grocery stores.

agency cannot yet give out a list of potentially affected products that might have been sold in retail stores.

Kellogg Company said it was putting a precautionary hold on Austin and Keebler brands of crackers that contain peanut butter because Peanut Corporation of America is one of its suppliers.

more cases are being reported daily. He explained that it takes a couple of weeks to confirm that suspected illness are caused by the same salmonella strain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And this has what to do with home repair?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you get sick and puke on the carpet you'd need help to get the stains out. If you got serious diarrhea, you may need help to unclog the sewer line

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Of course you're right, Ed. Never thought about collateral damage. EMT's carrying out the unwell would leave tracks on the tile and Pergo too.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I guess I can finish the jar I'm on, I'm not sick yet. It's probably another wild bullshit guess and wrong at that.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

You'll be okay if you cook your peanut butter thoroughly.

Reply to
HeyBub

Give some to your dog to see if it gets sick. Besides, it's fun watching the dog try to get the peanut butter off the roof of its mouth. :-D

Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote in news:ofydnUEhK7vpXO7UnZ2dnUVZ_t snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

the article said the PB -was NOT sold directly to consumers-.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Dogs can't get sick, at least not easily, from eating biological stuff. Their stomachs contain fuming Nitric acid which kills virtually everything. Same with all carnivores. Which makes it even more of a mystery as to why cats are sometimes picky eaters.

Reply to
HeyBub

Guns dont kill......

*** PEANUT BUTTER KILLS ***

Seriously, I love peanut butter, but these days eating it is a risk. Now, how about making it at home. After all, all it is, is crushed peanuts mixed with a little sugar, salt, and some oil.

Does anyone sell a home -peanut butter maker? It's cant be that difficult.

Reply to
Jimw

Use it in mousetraps to keep mice from damaging the home.

Use it to patch holes in plaster... works great till a mouse comes along.

A large glob of PB placed in the mouth of a nagging wife will shut her up for a short while, thus allowing you some peace while doing home repair.

And dont forget, eating too much PB will make you nuts. People who are nuts should never be allowed to work on your home.

Reply to
Jimw

Nah.... Spare the dog. Lets use willshak as the guinny pig.....

Reply to
Jimw

I wonder if mice can die from salmonella? It would seem a good use for the tainted stuff so you don't have to toss it all out..

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

willshak

It's actually off topic. Which, by reason of being Off Topic, is labelled as such. The home repair tie in, is that toilet sales and replacements may increase this week.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman- snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net:

all you would likely do is breed tougher salmonella organisms,along with tougher mice. (BTW,mice eat garbage,so they probably can handle salmonella and other bacteria.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

On another list, several have written that dogs seldom get food poisoning. Different digestive tract features, I guess. Their history of eating dead meat in the wild has made some adaptations.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Right. You have to either steal it from a nursing home, or scrape it out of peanut butter crackers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Umm, no sugar, no oil. Just go to your natural foods store (my local "regular" grocery store has one) and use their grinder. You just dump the salted peanuts into the grinder and you're done. You can also buy "natural" peanut butter (even in Walmart) which is just peanuts and salt. If you're putting anything else in your peanut butter you're asking for trouble plus poisoning yourself.

Good reference. Thanks.

Reply to
HeyBub