OT: Peanut butter, again

Page 1 of 2
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090116-714721.html (Severely edited, read entire article online. Aparently affected are institutions. And consumer products containing peanut butter as part of some other food.)
JANUARY 16, 2009, 9:45 P.M. ET
453 Illnesses, 5 Deaths Tied To Peanut Butter
linked to a salmonella outbreak that is believed to have been caused by peanut butter and peanut paste.
Officials investigating a Peanut Corporation of America manufacturing plant in Georgia as the source of the outbreak.
recall of peanut butter produced on or after Aug. 8, 2008 and peanut paste produced on or after Sept. 26, 2008 at its Blakely, Georgia facility.
The outbreak has affected 43 states and Canada. peanut paste used in consumer products. was not directly marketed to consumers.
bulk packaging to distributors for institutional and food-service industry, Those products were sold to nursing homes, schools, hospitals, and bakeries
also makes a peanut paste that's used in consumer products like crackers, cookies and ice cream sold in grocery stores.
agency cannot yet give out a list of potentially affected products that might have been sold in retail stores.
Kellogg Company said it was putting a precautionary hold on Austin and Keebler brands of crackers that contain peanut butter because Peanut Corporation of America is one of its suppliers.
more cases are being reported daily. He explained that it takes a couple of weeks to confirm that suspected illness are caused by the same salmonella strain.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 18, 10:38 am, "Stormin Mormon"

And this has what to do with home repair?
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
And this has what to do with home repair?
If you get sick and puke on the carpet you'd need help to get the stains out. If you got serious diarrhea, you may need help to unclog the sewer line
Add pictures here
✖

Of course you're right, Ed. Never thought about collateral damage. EMT's carrying out the unwell would leave tracks on the tile and Pergo too.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Use it in mousetraps to keep mice from damaging the home.
Use it to patch holes in plaster... works great till a mouse comes along.
A large glob of PB placed in the mouth of a nagging wife will shut her up for a short while, thus allowing you some peace while doing home repair.
And dont forget, eating too much PB will make you nuts. People who are nuts should never be allowed to work on your home.
Add pictures here
✖

I wonder if mice can die from salmonella? It would seem a good use for the tainted stuff so you don't have to toss it all out..
Add pictures here
✖

all you would likely do is breed tougher salmonella organisms,along with tougher mice. (BTW,mice eat garbage,so they probably can handle salmonella and other bacteria.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I guess I can finish the jar I'm on, I'm not sick yet. It's probably another wild bullshit guess and wrong at that.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
Van Chocstraw wrote:

You'll be okay if you cook your peanut butter thoroughly.
Add pictures here
✖
on 1/18/2009 5:10 PM (ET) Van Chocstraw wrote the following:

Give some to your dog to see if it gets sick. Besides, it's fun watching the dog try to get the peanut butter off the roof of its mouth. :-D
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

the article said the PB -was NOT sold directly to consumers-.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
willshak wrote:

Dogs can't get sick, at least not easily, from eating biological stuff. Their stomachs contain fuming Nitric acid which kills virtually everything. Same with all carnivores. Which makes it even more of a mystery as to why cats are sometimes picky eaters.
Add pictures here
✖
on 1/18/2009 10:44 PM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid 30
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Good reference. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖

Nah.... Spare the dog. Lets use willshak as the guinny pig.....
Add pictures here
✖
On another list, several have written that dogs seldom get food poisoning. Different digestive tract features, I guess. Their history of eating dead meat in the wild has made some adaptations.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Guns dont kill...... *** PEANUT BUTTER KILLS ***
Seriously, I love peanut butter, but these days eating it is a risk. Now, how about making it at home. After all, all it is, is crushed peanuts mixed with a little sugar, salt, and some oil.
Does anyone sell a home -peanut butter maker? It's cant be that difficult.
Add pictures here
✖

Umm, no sugar, no oil. Just go to your natural foods store (my local "regular" grocery store has one) and use their grinder. You just dump the salted peanuts into the grinder and you're done. You can also buy "natural" peanut butter (even in Walmart) which is just peanuts and salt. If you're putting anything else in your peanut butter you're asking for trouble plus poisoning yourself.

Add pictures here
✖