OT-Norton Adware/Malware

Page 4 of 4

Ed made your point earlier and he was correct. So to you I will simply say "Get Screwed!" Is that clear enough?
I purchased the PC in September of last year after a lightening strike. I was already running McAfee on the damaged PC, so I very deliberately uninstalled Norton because I knew McAfee was going to require removal anyway. This morning, when I booted up, I had a brand new Norton Icon on the desktop and a new entry in my start up menu. I uninstalled both. Ten minutes later Norton was preparing to scan my machine from a dialogue panel that had no minimize or close options. I did, again, uninstall from another new start up menu entry and got the application stopped.
I don't know if this new Norton intrusion has been lurking since I uninstalled in September; or if it came into my PC recently. Either way it was unwanted and non-professional. When I uninstalled it six months ago that should have been a pretty clear indication that we didn't need it.
Much like I didn't need your smart-assed, repetitive comment regarding my writing ability. Now if that wasn't clear I can get more clear.
So there!
RonB
Add pictures here
✖
[much utter nonsense snipped]
Apparently it never occurred to you that someone _else_ may have installed it...

I'm sure your friendly attitude is just as effective at getting people to help you in real life as it is on Usenet. Buh-bye! <plonk>
Add pictures here
✖
That's got to really hurt. Now, his posts won't appear on one computer, in one room, in one house, at one adress.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Mar 27, 9:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Good Grief guys. I wasn't even asking for help. I was simply reporting an apparent PC intrusion by a software company that used to have pretty good credentials. I even OT'ed it.
Two guys knocked my writing ability. I respect the first one and he was correct. Twayne was clearly just jumping on - as he often does. Why should I respect a copycat. Some of us contribute to these newsgroups quickly and even remotely so our writing products might not be up to the doctoral thesis standards.
Hell, from looking at his profile I'm not even sure Twayne owns a house let alone improves it. I have tried to provide some halfway useful input to this group and a couple of other similar newsgroups.
I shouldn't have brought this up in the first place.
RonB
Add pictures here
✖

You are late. I already apologized for my atrocious writing capability, and fully described the problem in my response to Twayne.
Should be about 5-6 up in this string.
Add pictures here
✖
On 27/03/10 6:42 AM, RonB wrote:

Norton is not actually an anti-virus/anti-malware product anymore. It's now it's its own virus and malware that is very difficult to get rid of completely. It differs from other viruses and malware in that you have to pay for it.
Use AVAST for anti-virus, and Malwarebytes for malware. AVAST is free while Malwarebytes costs money for the version that is constantly checking for threats (though the free version is fine too).
I remember my mother calling me when she was having a terrible time with Norton. She wanted me to go over to the company headquarters which was about three blocks from my house to talk to them. I had to gently explain that there was almost certainly no Symantec employee in the U.S. that could address her problem.
Add pictures here
✖