OT: Neighbors Car Runnin' Rough He Says

Page 1 of 2

Asks to borrow a 1/2" drive extension so he gan get some torque. Says he got a plug stuck half way out. Returns with extension and plug. Just had to snap some pics and share:-)
http://i47.tinypic.com/2nqb582.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/23s67tx.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ng7i2s.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/287126u.jpg

Yep. That will cause problems!
Red Green wrote:

Hi, I hop yoyr neighbor keeps his yard tidy. Not like that plug, LOL!
Red Green wrote:

It looks like he put in a plug with the wrong depth and the piston head rammed it. Is that what happened?

If that is true, the car will damn sure run rough now!
Yeah, agree with the others. Hope you tell him to be sure and get the right plugs to go back in. It look to me like it is totally melted, possibly wrong heat range. A friend put the wrong plugs in his Hyundai Tiburon (sp? ) and melted holes in two pistons.

I think the guy needs a new motor

Pessimist! :-)

Right. He just may need to borrow "a 1/2" drive extension".

I would think if that were the case they all would have got trashed. But then, it could be a "This 'ill work" plug.
I've seen them take stuff apart. Nuts, bolts, clips just get put anywhere and I mean anywhere. Would not surprise me if it were a result of parts or like a socket left in the cylinder when a head was put on.

Definitely mechanical damage - and if it runs with a new plug I'll be VERY surprised. That is NOT an overheated plug!!!!!!

certainly there will be metal/ceramic debris in that cylinder,gouging the cylinder wall and rings.I suspect he trashed the plug threads in the head,too.
What year,make,model of auto?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

An old Camero is all I know.

One thing for damn sure. The plug contacted the top of the piston. I don't think it was a tool left in there, as it would just sieze because there isn't enough room in there for a socket or much any tool. It looks like it ran a few rpms to get that chewed, although it could have done it in a few.
I'd be surprised if the car runs decently at all, even if he gets this straightened out. Looks like a long thread plug, the wrong one for that car. The right one could not be inserted far enough to contact piston head.
A couple of peanuts from the gallery, TYVM.
Steve

I think I;m buying into the long plug theory a couple of people mentioned. Next time he's out there doing his magic on it I'm gonna get him to pull another plug.
nfowest.com:

Make sure he stays way away from whatever you are driving!!!

Make sure he stays way away from whatever you are driving!!!
reply: yeah, but he doesn't charge a lot............
Steve B wrote:

Loses money on every job but he makes it up in volume.
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:53:25 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"
in

Looks like he was using a dual electrode plug too - like a Toyota or Sube plug .
DEFINITELY not the right plug for the car.

I'm an OLD Chevy man. Most of the ones I've seen for Chevies are shorter than that one, and that one had been beat down quite a bit.
Steve