OT: Movie Magic

Page 1 of 4
I (re-)watch a fair number of movies. Much more fun as you don't have to pay attention. Also, aren't focused on tracking the story line as you already KNOW it!
Entertaining, however, as you are free to notice all of the blemishes; the "man behind the curtain", so to speak.
Doing so with the Jurassic Park trilogy, tonight. First scene "accidentally" exposes the underside of Velociraptor cage -- made to look like it is built of tough steel! Except, the bottom is obviously made of WOOD. Complete with *tiny* casters -- hardly sufficient to support the weight of that "metal" cage AND an adult dinosaur...
Ah, well... I've found worse in other flicks so I shouldn't be TOO disappointed...
On 2/25/2016 3:16 AM, Don Y wrote:

I'm rather fond of the Emergency! series from the 1970s. I've been known to yell at the TV, all the goofs and gaffes they do. Fire is over here---> and they spray water over there <---. That kind of thing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I watch a lot of 50's and 60's tv and I see a lot more flaws than I remember seeing before. One showed an Indian riding off on his horse, and I saw the light reflecting in a horseshoe! It would be asking too much for them to get unshod horses for the Indians to ride, but I've never noticed a horseshoe before.
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 8:02:28 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

My TIVO makes finding mistakes easier, just skip back and pause on the frame of interest
Per bob haller:

Can somebody have a TIVO without paying a monthly Channel Lineup fee?
--
Pete Cresswell

Last time we discussed this, at least two years ago, the answer seemed to be, Only if you could find one of the boxes that were made several years ago. And they didn't get all the channels iirc. Still I'd be happy to have that, but I didn't try to find one. I refuse to pay the monthly fee.
Per Micky:

That is disappointing. I know somebody whose life would be significantly improved if somebody bought them a TIVO and set it up for them.... but the monthly charge would be a deal breaker..... like giving somebody a puppy....
I use something called SageTV and, for me, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.... and it gets freebie channel lineups, but it is an enthusiast's product and I cannot see a technophobe using it.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/25/2016 11:24 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I thought google discontinued sagetv when it acquired it?
Per Don Y:

They did - but I had a legacy version from years before that.
But sometime last year they released it back into the public domain and it has gone Open-Source. http://forums.sagetv.com/
I am running v7. Last I looked they were up to v9.
I am not sure how the channel lineup provider thing worked out.... might be that open-source users have to find something on their own.
--
Pete Cresswell

This and MythTV only provide over-the-air channels, is that right?
The advantage is the ability to record?
And both of them require an (in-practice) devoted PC?? I have spares.
Is a video tuner card expensive?
Does everyone thing Sage is better?
Even though, as I said, I have more tv than I can watch, and I like the reruns because they are clean, I like the idea of a project.

Per Micky:

I think Sage can handle cable too.
Wouldn't bet the mortgage money on it.... but the interface between Sage and the signal source is the tuner. Sage doesn't care where the signal originates.
And I am pretty sure tuners can be had that tune cable.
SiliconDust's HDHomeRun PRIME, for instance: https://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/
Something about "M-Card cablecard"....
I *like* my SiliconDust tuners... no clutter in the PC, available across all devices - one of them even provides live TV viewing on my Android phone.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/26/2016 9:21 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Exactly. Why tie an I/O device to a particular machine architecture needlessly? Mine are hidden in my "equipment closet" (which has an antenna feed) so they can be accessed from any network drop in the house -- not JUST the PC *into* which they happen to be installed!
Ditto with the telephone interfaces.
Per Don Y:

I went the whole way and put them in the garden shed - about 100' from the house - which also has a TV antenna on it.
My rationale being isolation from the eventually-inevitable lightning strike on the TV antenna. Not there yet - fiber has intimidated me so far and the little radio link I tried was kind of so-so bandwidth-wise... so it's still linked via hard Ethernet cable.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/26/2016 11:40 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Cool! I drool at the prospect of having someplace out-of-the-way to hide all this kit! Currently, I have the lower 2 ft of a pantry to hold *everything*. It becomes... "challenging".
As a result, I've migrated much of the "smarts" out of that central location as I can more readily find a couple of cubic inches "here" and another couple "there", etc. to get the job done.

I've been designing little "one port firewalls" (one in, one out) that filter traffic entering/exiting via any of the network drops. AND, are essentially "fuses" in the event of lightning strike or malicious attack (replace the one port device instead of having to replace the network switch that it feeds!)
Per Don Y:

I would expect it to take out everything in the garden shed that is connected to the TV antenna - but that is "Only" the three SiliconDust devices and a switch. Several hundred bucks; but still not the whole LAN and everything connected to it.
Fiber instead of Ethernet cable between the shed and the LAN closet in the house would isolate the rest of my LAN from anything that happens to the garden shed.
In fact, I did a "Redneck Air Gap" solution using a couple of these things: http://tinyurl.com/gtyex6j
Down the shore, I have a couple of them linking 4 IP cams and a couple of PCs in a windsurfing shop to a somebody's residence about a half mile away and they have been working reasonably well for several years.
But, for some reason, my SageTV recordings of live TV started coming up with artifacts and pixellation when I tried them between the garden shed and the house. Not that bad... but irritating enough that I figured I should bite the bullet and climb the fiber optic learning curve.... but I have yet to do that.
Having said that, now I expect lightning to strike the shed tonite.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/26/2016 12:24 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

The problem isn't the tuners but, rather, this nice long ANTENNA you've got (buried?) in the yard. A nearby strike will induce large voltages that will creep into all sorts of things directly and indirectly connected to it.

Yup. You're still vulnerable to a nearby strike -- but much less so (because you don't have anything "guiding" the strike/induced spike *into* your kit).
We lost POTS many years ago from a nearby strike. No evidence of any damage on the property -- but at least one (electronic) phone was fried and the TV picture tube was horribly "magnetized" (LOTS of degaussing cycles to restore color purity).

OK.

No "out buildings" here so I don't have to worry about long stretches of cable over/under the ground.
My little "sacrificial firewalls" make sense because they protect the *content* of the network (filtering traffic in/out of each INDIVIDUAL port). Having them do so in a manner that allows them to be disposable/replaceable just gives me some protection against adversarial attacks on drops that are "available" to potential adversaries (e.g., porches, guest bedrooms, exterior cameras, weather station, etc.)
They also give me precise clock synchronization and PoE capability without having to buy a many $K switch that has those features built in!

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 13:16:51 -0700, Don Y

I looked at Amazon and googled and didn't learn much.
CPE is customer premises equipment?
Where do you put the things you bought (each end of the coax to the shed?) and what do they do?
Per Micky:

No coax involved except for TV antenna => tuners.
Using IP Cameras as the example instead of the SiliconDust tuners (because I have a network diagram already with IP Cams):
Garden Shed's TV Antenna => Garden Shed's Tuner => Garden Shed's NanoLoco#1..... (100' of air .... House's NanoLoco#2 => House's router => (whatever in the house is connected to the LAN).
Network diagram of the IP cam setup (change 100' of air to .7 miles of air): http://tinyurl.com/ncu3szf
I got all obsessive with the initial setup down the shore... but it turned out that they were really about as plug-and-play as something like that can be:
- Fire them up - Assign static IP addresses - Configure one to the he "Station" (i.e. remote) - Configure the other to be the "Access point" (i.e. local) - Aim them at least roughly at each other - Check to see what WiFi frequencies are most available and set them accordingly - .... and they're up and running.
--
Pete Cresswell

Oh, cool. I couldn't tell anything from the Amazon listing.
I know I'm not the only one who thought there was coax because someone made a referenct to a trench.

Now I just need a shed!
Per Micky:

There *is* a trench - and it has AC and Ethernet in it currently.
The Good-Right-And-Holy Path is to replace the Ethernet in the trench with fiberoptic.... but I have not had the fortitude to climb that learning curve yet.
--
Pete Cresswell