OT motor oil pricing

So we just had a thread about whether or not the 3k oil change is worthwhile. I had just changed my oil prior to that thread, at about

3500 miles, in preparation for my regular 600 mile drive.

Not too long ago I stopped buying oil by the quart, and started buying it in big plastic jugs emblazoned:

"5 1/2 quarts, A complete oil change" or some such.

So I go to my friendly local parts store, and I see gallon jugs. The tag on the shelf still says 5.5 quart, $14.99. But the jugs clearly say 1 gallon. Oh, thinks I, what a bother. Now I have to buy a separate quart, too, which I did.

As I'm heading over to the register, I'm wondering what they're going to charge me for my gallon. You guessed it, $14.99. That's a 37.5% jump, in a time of virtually zero inflation, on a commodity whose price is stable if not falling.

Maybe I'll go to the 5k intervals after all.

Reply to
Smitty Two

If you don't want to take the oil back, I'd at least tell the manager that I noticed. And everythihg in your 37% sentence.

Reply to
mm

Add in the cost of hte filter and for only a few bucks more, you can have someone do the labor for you too. Keep in mind, if you are taking long drives, that change interval can be 7500 miles and save even more money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why didnt you have them give you the extra 1.5qt

Reply to
ransley

I too am atoning to the oil change gods, what I do is use the 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 from Wally world, @ around $22. I have less trouble sleeping at night on longer change intervals with synthetic oil in everything. I do mean everything, from the backhoe to the lawnmower to the Jag, even the 4 stroke weedwacker.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Yep. I still believe nothing beats Mobil 1 for protection. Even had them use synthetic rear differential lube on my last change.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Yeah. Just shut up and give them your money. The bridge is for sale again. What are you doing at two this afternoon?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Some years ago I was running high rpm 2 cycle engines and experimented with synthetic oils. It is fantastic allowing for higher rpm and no seizing that regular oil would allow. Do I use it in my cars? No.. I've never experienced an oil related problem in any car and I change at 7500 miles. Regular oils are pretty good these days, as are the engines. In 48 years of driving, I've never had a differential problem and never changed oil in one.

When I buy the more expensive bourbon, I see the benefits with every sip. With higher priced oil, I get the same results after 150,000 miles so I don't see spending the extra money on oil when it can go to a better grade of bourbon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In my case I'm responsible for better 15 internal combustion engines, sometimes I lose track of the frequency of their needs, and synthetic makes that a little more forgivable. I can keep track of the on road ones easily enough, the off road ones not so much. There is also the fuel mileage improvement & while slight, you might as well have it. I really don't think it costs me more, as the frequency of the changes is extended enough to make up the difference, & while you could go longer on dino oil, it does break down, & lose its ability to do its job, and I hate changing engines.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

The question is how mnay liters - and were the quarts and gallons Imperial or American. 5 US quarts = 1 Imperial gallon = 4.546 Liters A Yankee gallon is 3.785 Liters.

Reply to
clare

I'm with you-- I used to buy cars that had 75000 miles on them & drive 'em til they croaked. Now I get them new and put 150-200k on them. Never touched a rear-end.

Change engine oil religiously, but never used synthetics. The only lubrication problem I've ever had with an engine was an 84 reliant with 30k on it- top crank had known problems and was replaced on warranty.

Here I have to slightly disagree. Try Evan Williams. I like it better than Blantons & Makers Mark.

Don't take my word for it-

I like the way you think. I buy the Evan Williams and just drink twice as much.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:20:50 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote Re Re: OT motor oil pricing:

Very wise.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I'm a bit puzzled by the link you provided. It takes you to a page with about half a dozen reviews on EW and mostly it is described as average or worse. There was one glowing review out of the group, but on the whole that page hardly makes one want to dash out and by a case.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Yeah- that isn't the one that got me to try a $10 bottle of bourbon. [I used to spend $30-50 on Makers Mark & Blanton's]. I can't find the reviewer's page that convinced me that it was worth trying-- and if I didn't like it I have a friend that pours good bourbon into a glass of diet Pepsi. To me, the Evan Williams is smoother & easier on my gut. I drink mine on ice- with a splash. YMMV

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I scrambled the rear end on my69 dart when I goosed it when the pavement was a bit slick - and then it caught a dry patch. Other than that I've had a pinion bearing go south, along with numerous rear axle bearings - but I buy with 100,000km and drive them another 10 years or so.

Reply to
clare