OT - Lug nuts

Page 1 of 3

I just got a new car and the wheels do not have lug nuts on them.
Do I need to be concerned about the wheels being stolen?
Would you live with it the way it is, or pay $45 for four keyed or locking lug nuts?
Everyone is always so helpful so I wanted to post here even though it is off topic.
Many thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

Where are you going to PUT these $45 locking lug nuts? In the glove box?
As to whether you should worry about the wheels being stolen, that depends on the neighborhood where the car is parked and the value of the wheels. For sufficiently valuable wheels in an unmonitored location, the thieves may take an acetylene torch to the axles.
HeyBub wrote:

and the wheels sell for about $180 ea. Just thought I would ask.
Thanks.
Kate wrote:

Okay, let me try this again. You say you don't have any lug nuts on the car. Aside from the obvious question of just what in the world is holding the wheels ON the car, where would you put these new lug nuts inasmuch as there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the neighbor of the tires TO put them.
HeyBub wrote:

LOL, I knew this would get good. LOL Maybe they have one big nut like on race cars?

I don't mean to be rude but wheels that only cost $180 each aren't worth getting worried too about. That's just about the bottom of the barrel.
Gordon Shumway
Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

if somebody likes them and would rather steal than buy,it doesn't matter how much they cost. (and then there's the value of the TIRES on the wheels...)
FWIW,factory wheels are not high theft items.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Gordon Shumway wrote:

I found out that I do have lug nuts They are underneath a round cap on the wheel. The lug wrench is in with the spare tire.
I should have done more homework before posting this question.
Thanks.
No worries, an easy misteak to make.
Blonde: I want to report a fire. Dispatcher: How do we get there? Blonde: In a big red truck, d'uh!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This is really very funny, because for 50 years or more, no one could see the lugnuts on cars. They all had hubcaps or the larger wheel covers, precisely to cover the less attractive lug nuts.
Then they started chrome plating lug nuts and letting them show, and now Kate didn't even realize what was under the hubcap!!!!
I think hubcaps might be a good idea. I once parked my car with one wheel cover off, and it snowed and the snow didn't melt for weeks, during which I had shoulder surgery and recuperation, so I didn't move the car, and when I finally had a flat tire 6 months later, 4 of the 5 studs on that wheel broke when tried to take off the nuts.
It was Sunday at 6 PM so I had to drive home from Newark airport with only one bolt holding the wheel on.

I've heard of driving on two or three studs, but driving on one sounds a bit daredevil.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yeah! The usual practice in such a situation is to steal one nut from each of the other 3 wheels thus ending with 4 on that wheel.
Harry K
Would removing a lug nut from each of the other wheels help, if four studs were broken?
It's a lot of work to remove a stud from each of the other wheels. Last time I removed a stud from a front wheel, I had to pull the caliper and rotor off. From the back, necessary to pull the wheel and brake drum. Sounds like he arrived safely, some how.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ooops my bad, I overlooked the 'broken studs' bit.
Harry K
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:29:58 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Bunch of asshole pranksters removed ALL the lugnuts from one rear wheel. The wheel flew off when the car got up to speed. Fortunatly, no one was hurt.... but there was damage.

This is really very funny, because for 50 years or more, no one could see the lugnuts on cars. They all had hubcaps or the larger wheel covers, precisely to cover the less attractive lug nuts.
Then they started chrome plating lug nuts and letting them show, and now Kate didn't even realize what was under the hubcap!!!!
I think hubcaps might be a good idea. I once parked my car with one wheel cover off, and it snowed and the snow didn't melt for weeks, during which I had shoulder surgery and recuperation, so I didn't move the car, and when I finally had a flat tire 6 months later, 4 of the 5 studs on that wheel broke when tried to take off the nuts.
It was Sunday at 6 PM so I had to drive home from Newark airport with only one bolt holding the wheel on.

Gordon Shumway wrote:

Actually a vacuum doesn't suck. The outside air pressure pushes the air in. Really.

But in what way is that different from any other sucking? So if sucking exists at all, doesnt' the vacuum cleaner suck?
Doesn't suck mean, "create a partial vacuum so the outside air pressure pushes air in"?
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:49:43 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Yep.
Or drag the whole car onto a trailer...
And a sufficiently-organized group probably has a whole array of different shaped keys at their disposal...
snipped-for-privacy@remove.this.gmail.com (Jules) writes:
| And a sufficiently-organized group probably has a whole array of different | shaped keys at their disposal...
I've always thought that one of those "universal" sockets or a big stud extractor might do the trick. There used to be a type of lug nut lock that took an actual key in the center. Until it was unlocked the outside just spun. This seemed conceptually neater than a funny-shaped nut but I'm afraid it might not stand up to being hit with a hammer...