OT. Lifelock

Do any of you use Lifelock? any pro or con? thanks in advance
I've heard a LOT of ads. I'm curious to hear the answers.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Pro: It most likely works Con: Seems expensive and I'm not so sure we really need it.

Don't use it. An older article but maybe it will get you started.
http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/06/securitymatters_0612
On 2/21/2010 9:13 PM, nefletch wrote:

Identity theft is a PITA but having to spend $110/year for this insurance would irk me. You are not responsible if someone steals your identity but the pain is correcting it. Personally, I'd self insure.
Frank wrote:

Hell, I makeup most of the information I give out unless the person or entity has a legal right to correct information. It would be a good idea if more people asked and/or researched who has business with your personal information. I use a prepaid credit card for all Internet purchases and only put in enough money to cover what I'm purchasing. I've had someone try to make a car payment with my prepaid MasterCard before but there was not enough money loaded in the card to cover it and there was no cost to me for the card being declined. Trust no one.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Don't trust nothing what eats.
Frank wrote:

The guy with the SSN on the truck sign makes me think of my ex father in law. While at a bank talking about a business loan, (just talking, not doing), the loan officer asked for his SS number. He said "no". So the loan officer did a quick search and saw he had a car loan through them about 15 years earlier and she reads his SSN out loud to him and asked if that was correct. :-) I almost busted out laughing at him.

I'm sorry to butt into this conversation. You're getting such good stuff from all the contributors. So, I'll throw in my two pennies as someone who is actually answering your questions, rather than ranting or babbling incoherently.
I have had Lifelock for over two years. It has caught purchases that were attempted on two occasions. That's the upside.
The downside is that when you go to buy, you may be held up a bit when the credit card doesn't go through, and you have to call in and get it okayed, or it takes you longer to make the transaction.
But when you are spending $2k or $5k at one time on your plastic card there is something to be said when they get you on the phone and ask you questions only you have the answer to before they let the $5k deal go through. It is nice to know someone is watching. My cards are ALL marked ASK FOR ID on the back, yet salesgeeks and bimbos rarely ask for a driver's license. Nice to know someone's got your back.
I'd bought it, and I would recommend it to anyone. It will save you thousands in costs and years of fixing what some asshole can do to your credit in one afternoon before you know the card or your number has been compromised.
But that's just me.
I'll butt out now.
Steve

Steve, how DARE you respond with an insightful, and knowledgable response.......that is just not allowed on this newsgroup.......shameful p.s. ty

If you refuse to present identification, such as a drivers license, the merchant may not refuse to make a credit card sale under Visa, MasterCard, and Amex rules. Maybe that's why the sales person doesn't ask.

Well, there's that, and then there are a lot of salespeople who cannot make change without the help of an electronic cash register.
Steve
nefletch wrote:

I'm surprised that they're even still trying to sell it since a large part of their system consisted of continuously placing fraud alerts on their customers credit files was ruled to be illegal in 2009.
What Lifelock was doing was automatically placing fraud alerts on their customers' credit files every 90 days. Of course any person can do the same thing at no charge by directly contacting the credit bureau, but for $10/month Lifelock will do it for you. Of course you also get their famous "$1 million guarantee," which if you read the fine print, is not worth $10/month to most people. They do monitor your credit reports for fraud as well, so it's also a credit monitoring service.