OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

I've been wondering about this for years. When I turn the shower on, the first water that comes out is c-o-o-o-o-o-ld! So I've learned to adjust the temp before stepping in.

But WHY does cold come out first, when it's supposed to be mixed?

Inquiring minds...

Hypatia

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson wrote the following:

How close is the shower to the water heater? If the hot water hasn't been run in a while, the hot water stored in the pipes will cool off. If the house is air conditioned, it will cool off more.

Reply to
willshak

s. =A0When I turn the shower on,

AC cools off water pipes??????

Reply to
Ron

Sure. At the least some of the pipe runs thru the wall - either down from the attic or up from the basement. The walls are cooled by the AC and the space between them likewise.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sorry, not buying it.

Reply to
Ron

It cools off *everything* in the house.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, find something else to buy.

Reply to
willshak

It's not possible that you don't know the answer to this. No one is that clueless. The water is sitting in the pipes, not the hot water heater. You have to run the water for a few seconds to fill the pipes with water from the heater. You're a troll.

Get your quoting correct. You didn't even quote the OP.

Reply to
Ron

Not enough to penetrate sheetrock and cool off water pipes. I guess if you have the capability of cooling your house to 60 degrees or so, you might have a point. My home never gets below 78 degrees in the summer.

Reply to
Ron

I've probably kf'd the OP.

I'd like to believe that there are not folk that do not understand this, but suspect there are many that have not availed themselves or otherwise been educated in the practical aspects of life. Having said that, I did think that this could be the work of a troll.

Reply to
Clot

.

Does matter. If you were quoting someone that replied to him, his OP would be included.

Reply to
Ron

Whatever. PLONK!

You must be kidding

Reply to
ransley

.

Fine by me....hope you never need my help in here.

Reply to
Ron

So the water in your pipes is 78 degrees. I bet it's a bit warmer than that in your water heater.

Reply to
Doug Miller

And if you turned off the AC, that water might stay at 90. It would still be cold for a shower.

Reply to
Bob F

Ok heres something to add to this. Why do you need a hot water heater

IF ITS ALREADY HOT WHY HEAT IT.

So it should be hot water in the pipes because they are hot water pipes right.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Not in FL.

Are you telling me there is no heat transfer from the attic to the inside of the walls? In the summer I can feel a difference in wall temp where the ceiling meets the walls, as opposed to where the walls meets the floor.

Especially in the rooms that have vaulted ceilings. Also, my pipes are in the attic. So there is also heat being transferred through the "plastic" pipes themselves.

Reply to
Ron