OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

Page 1 of 5

I've been wondering about this for years. When I turn the shower on, the first water that comes out is c-o-o-o-o-o-ld! So I've learned to adjust the temp before stepping in.
But WHY does cold come out first, when it's supposed to be mixed?
Inquiring minds...
Hypatia
Higgs Boson wrote the following:

If the hot water hasn't been run in a while, the hot water stored in the pipes will cool off. If the house is air conditioned, it will cool off more.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

AC cools off water pipes??????
Ron wrote:

Sure. At the least some of the pipe runs thru the wall - either down from the attic or up from the basement. The walls are cooled by the AC and the space between them likewise.

Sorry, not buying it.
Ron wrote the following:

Well, find something else to buy.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It's not possible that you don't know the answer to this. No one is that clueless. The water is sitting in the pipes, not the hot water heater. You have to run the water for a few seconds to fill the pipes with water from the heater. You're a troll.

Get your quoting correct. You didn't even quote the OP.

I've probably kf'd the OP.

Does matter. If you were quoting someone that replied to him, his OP would be included.

Whatever. PLONK!

Fine by me....hope you never need my help in here.
h wrote:

That's got to be the infinitesimal reason for a plonk ever. It will probably go *plink* instead.

The OP is in line for a Darwin Award if he is ever loose in a dangerous situation.
h wrote:

I'd like to believe that there are not folk that do not understand this, but suspect there are many that have not availed themselves or otherwise been educated in the practical aspects of life. Having said that, I did think that this could be the work of a troll.

I most certainly am NOT! I may be clueless, but not as vicious as you, name-caller!

Sorry, not buying it.
I suggest you read about the laws of physics and heat transfer. Heat energy will always seek out the lower temperature and the AC is removing heat from living spaces. Look up equilibrium.
wrote in message

Hot water conducts heat into cooler pipe pipe radiates heat into cooler air in wall. wall air radiates heat into cooler wallboard wallboard radiates heat into cooler room air AC pulls heat from room air,radiates heat outside house.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It cools off *everything* in the house.
On Jun 3, 7:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Not enough to penetrate sheetrock and cool off water pipes. I guess if you have the capability of cooling your house to 60 degrees or so, you might have a point. My home never gets below 78 degrees in the summer.