OT -ish - Why shower runs cold first

In the north, most of the pipes run through the basement and inside of the (preferably interior) walls if the house has more than one story.

Most northern houses have basements. Once you've dug down four feet to get the foundation below the frost line, you may as well keep digging another couple of feet to obtain useful storage and utility space. (Nowadays, they usually go to eight, but my vintage 1948 basement is about 6 feet.)

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

What temperature do you imagine that it *is*, then? And how do you "know" this?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Does anyone read a thread anymore?

Water that is too hot to put your hands under within 2 seconds or less.....you do the math.

Does the hot water in the pipes that is around 120 degrees (or higher) just magically stop getting hot and drop to room temp just because the "plastic" pipe is run through a 2x4.

It's MY house.....I think I know it better than anyone in here.

I'm tired of repeating myself.

EOT

Reply to
Ron

Phooey. The pipe that feeds the sink (assuming it comes from the attic, is

1/2" I.D. and six feet tall ) contains: 3.14 x 0.25 x 0.25 x 72 = 14 cubic inches of water, less than a single 8 oz glass. Of course the faucet is going to dump that in two seconds. THEN you get the attic water. Assuming 100' of 3/4" pipe, that's 530 cubic inches, or about 2.5 gallons. It takes a couple of minutes to dump two gallons.

To explain the stated condition: "...only cool water coming from my sinks in the summer is from the hoses underneath the sinks, and that last for about 2 seconds before the water gets warm, and then scalding hot."

Reply to
HeyBub

My early 1800s basement is just over 6' in most areas, but since it was hand-dug, there are some places where it's only about 5' and even I have to duck. Everyone has to duck around the pipes!