OT How much oil is too much?

Page 2 of 2

Good point. Some of those instructions are meant to guard against accidental overfilling by people who check their oil right after shutdown, but I suppose there are automakers who have engine designs that demand the consideration of different criteria.

This must be a Mercedes or BMW or something else on the exotic side of things. I was thinking of a run-of-the-mill Japanese or American 4-banger or V6, with an oil capacity of closer to 4 or 5 quarts.

That's true. But most dipsticks I've personally encountered were graduated to show one quart, or one liter, between the marks. Again, I'm sure there are exceptions.
--
Tegger

Let me clarify that last comment. I meant to say, "I was thinking of a run- of-the-mill Japanese or American engine, with an oil capacity of less than half of 13-quarts".
--
Tegger

I doubt that back in 91' whatever he's got is as critical as mine. I'm not at all sure that mine is as critical as MB makes it out to be. It sure scares the snot out of you when every other line says something like "will damage the engine". There is a sticker on the oil fill that says that the use of other than specified oil will damage the engine. In the U.S. there is a choice of one oil I can use: Mobil 1ESP formula M. Try finding that on the shelf of your local Walmart

Thanks everyone
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:49:13 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:

If you checked it right after it was running for a good while it could appear 1/2 quart low. After it sits for an hour and cools down the oil from all the passages and the top of the heads and oil filter will run back down into the sump pan and the level may check normal. This is one reason there is a normal band on the dipstick. I the level is below that band it's usually a quart low. If you are really worried drain a little from the drain plug. But first, consider the scenario I set and if it matches your turn of events, don't worry about it. If not, just drain a little out. And depending on the motor and length and width and depth of the oil pan 1/2 a quart over may not equal a significant rise in the overall level with the engine running.

Sounds like you checked the oil right after he parked it and the oil hadnt had time to drain into the pan. Half a quart is no big deal.
JImmie

That little bit is not worth thinking about. Find something else to worry about, such as your wife's relationship with your nephew.

Forget about it, 1/2 quart over won't hurt anything. Next time do not add any oil until it is a full quart low. (34 years experience on and off road vehicle maintenance)

If I check my oil and try to check it again I cant unless I wait a long time as the curved dipstick holder gets coated with oil and shows higher than it is, check it tomorrow and 1/2qt wont hurt anything, it might cut your milage a tiny bit, but to do damage you need to go more than 1 qt over, like 1.5-2 qts, and this depends on the motor, if its a big v8 it can hold 2 qts over alot easier then some 4 cilinder motors, the motor is just bigger and the oil wont raise up as much. You loose mpg when the crank gets covered, and damage occures when it slaps into the cilinders, but you might need more tha 2qt over to have that happen. Figure this, when motors all had carburators serious flooding could occur that could flood the motor with a quart of gas, sure it would cook off but it didnt kill the motor.
On Mon, 2 May 2011 14:54:39 -0700 (PDT), ransley

How can you over fill an engine. I fill it till the oil starts to overflow the fill cap and that's all that I can get into the engine.