OT How much oil is too much?

Page 1 of 2
My nephew drives my truck. When he brought it over, I checked the oil and I thought it looked about a half quart too low. I added about a half quart and checked the oil again. I guess my eyes too bad or my estimate of how much is a half quart is off. It now looks a half a quart over. I am told that too much oil is bad too. I just can't find out how much is too much.
If I had a scrap piece of hose I might try the thumb over the straw and try to get a little out.
-- O'Neil to General Hammond: For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

**You usually have a low mark and a high mark. Anywhere between the two is OK. Below the low or above the high are not OK. Some engines have very specific methods for checking the oil
RBM wrote:

Hi, How old is the truck? It depends how much low or high, little bit won't be much of a concern but too much overfill is not good as well as too low oil level. Usually we don't keep topping up the oil unless it is close to low mark on the dip stick. I never had any car or truck burning or leaking oil. Never had to top it up between scheduled oil changes.

It is a 91 Ford King Cab. The original engine made it 125k. The rebuilt has lasted 100k
The stick does have a high mark and a low mark. It was my understanding that the difference between those marks = 1 quart. I have about enough oil in the engine to be half that distance again. I was pouring from a 5 quart bottle.
On 4/30/2011 10:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

i wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like maybe you just didn't wait long enough after shutoff to check it.
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

Hmm, OP is worrying about ver fill and wait long enoughj then oil level will rise usually. I,proper oil level can cause oil aerating or splash. I don't think modern engines have dual seal rings either. If worried I'll pull a plug and take a look at it. If it looks sooty, you know what it is. Or just do a fresh Oil, finter change at the joint.

I've never heard that before. He drives a 91. My 95 Chrysler shop manual is right here and for both the 2.2/2.5 and 3.0L engines it shows two piston rings and an oil ring, just like in 1950.

Why is any of this more likely than it was 12 hours ago. He was low then, and now he's high. Not because of a pint of new water in 10 minutes but because he put too much oil in.

Generally an engine will not be harmed by 1/2 quart over on an engine that size - it may, however, "adjust" the level by either burning some or spitting some out.
I have known several engines that, if filled to the full mark, would burn off half a quart in short order - but when down to the half-way mark (between full and add) would stay there for thousands of miles, or 25 hours of running, without the level dropping at all. Got to the point we just filled then to the half mark

You might want to verify all this: I think a problem with too much oil is frothing, because if the oil is high enough, the cranks shaft hits it, but oils for hte last 20 years or more have anti-frothing agents.
Also, I don't think a half quart is too much extra most of the time, and you don't have a small engine.
If you really wanted to remove some, they used to sell oil change kits that took the oil out through the filler tube, iirc. Maybe they still do. If not, you can buy various thickness of tubing at ACe hardware by the foot, or at HD by the roll. Even going very slow, one pint (two cups' worth) won't take very long. If holding your thumb doesn't work, you can fill the hose with oil. Let it drain into a one quart oil bottle, and there's no reason you can't use it when you need oil the next time.

An extra half quart of oil isn't going to cause problems. If it did, lots of people would be having trouble and you'd hear about it, because it has to happen lots of times. Either doing it yourself or having someone at a service station check it an slightly overfill it because the oil hadn't drained down enough when dipped, etc.
If you put an extra half quart in a lawn mower, that would be a different story.

It probably won't make a difference if it's half a quart, but that hasn't been determined

An excellent point that others have missed. Even knowing the amount of the overage isn't enough - you have to know the total capacity of the engine to determine whether 1 quart over is a 20% overfill or less that 10%. In my small Honda one quart over would mean a substantial overage. In Metspitzer's truck (was it a King Cab?) probably not.
But the first order of business is to get a good read on level ground according to the manufacturer's directions. The second order of business is to not do fillups from a large, ungraduated container by eye. Not if you don't want to have to crawl under the truck with a wrench and an oil drain pan. (That means you M!) (-"
FWIW, when I've overfilled my Honda by 1/2 a quart I know it because of the blue cloud of smoke that I can generate with a hard rev. Useful for tailgater control but probably not good for the engine.
If it were my truck, I'd probably try to remove the excess if it was over 1/2 quart just because the cost of dealing with any potential problems far outweighs the time and effort it would take to remove the excess. In an engine with that many miles, there are probably already small clogs in the oil passageways and even if modern oil has anti-frothing agents in it, you still could have issues with oil not reaching every part it should. Better safe than sorry.
-- Bobby G.

The simplest way to get rid of that pint of oil if you are worried is to remove and drain the oil filter, then re-install it.

Retest the oil level with the engine cold on level ground. If it's significantly over the top line, I probably would spin off the sump plug and drain some of it. Why? Well here's what the Car Talk site says:
A word of caution: Be careful not to overfill your car's crankcase with oil. If you put in too much oil, the engine's crankshaft can actually come in contact with the oil. And because the crankshaft is turning at several thousand revolutions per minute, it can quickly whip your oil into a froth - like the steamed milk that sits on the top of a cappuccino. Why is that bad? Well, the oil pump can't pump froth very well, and as a result, it can't get oil to the parts of the engine that need lubrication. The result ... a hefty boat payment to your mechanic.

Oh for the Good Ol' days of SG-1. SGA was OK but the new one is unwatchable. A bad clone of Battlestar Galactica.
-- Bobby G.

That sounds real practical.....
Why? Well here's what the Car Talk site says:

The problem of course is that they don't define how much you have to overfill it for that to happen. If you think damage can happen with a mere half a quart, don't you think there would be lots of engine failures all over the place? Or do you think that all the oil change guys, service station attendents, DIY's etc never put a mere 1/2 quart extra into a truck?
On Sun, 1 May 2011 08:06:51 -0400, "Robert Green"

Firefly is supposed to be the next big thing, and it is HD. I have only seen two, but I was not impressed. It seems more like soap opera than a "blow em to hell" alien show.
They do have a character that plays the part of an escort that is stunning. http://www.google.com/search?q=Morena+Baccarin&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw 87&bih1 So far she is the best thing about the show.
On 5/1/2011 11:45 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Morena+Baccarin&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw 87&bih1
She is also the queen of the V in the remake of the series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_%282009_TV_series%29
TDD

http://www.google.com/search?q=Morena+Baccarin&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw 87&bih1
I've seen a few eps of Firefly. OK, but nothing I'd write home about. FWIW, you can usually clip everything after the first & and the URL will still work:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Morena+Baccarin
Although the truncated URL goes to Google Web and not Google Images. Not sure why but I'll figure it out shortly.
Learn something new every day. This URL works as well (sends you to Google images):
http://www.google.com/search?q=Morena+Baccarin&tbm=isch
I'm guessing that &tbm=isch directs the search to Google images although it doesn't seem obvious what those letters mean. More research . . .
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web%20Search/thread?tid-975af3ed4b0470&hl=en
Yep. A message there confirms that the old usersrcript command:
*/images?*
is now *&tbm=isch*
-- Bobby G.

Leave it alone. Half-a-quart too much is fine.
When the engine is running, a lot of that oil is in circulation around the engine anyway, plus you have something called a "windage tray" that helps prevent the crankshaft from whipping around in the oil that's in the pan.
The primary determinant of the levels on the stick is the need to keep the oil-pickup screen from momentarily running dry during cornering, on hills and the like. IOW, the levels are more minimums than maximums.
Next time you check the oil, remember that the rule-of-thumb is that if the level is between the marks, LEAVE IT ALONE. Most people check their oil soon after shutdown (like at a gas station), not realizing that a significant amount of oil is still hung-up in the engine and has not yet run back down into the oil pan, so they're gettng a falsely-low reading of the oil level.
If you want to make sure you're truly topped-up all the time, check the oil first-thing in the morning, after the car has sat overnight. That way anything that's going to run back down into the pan has done so; you'll have a true reading of how much oil is in there, and can add accordingly.

Don't bother. It's not worth the trouble.
--
Tegger

**Unless the engine manufacturer has a specific instruction for checking the oil. My engine requires the oil to be up to operating temp, then sit for a few minutes, then checked. They also sell a cold check dip stick, which gives the proper reading on a cold engine. Despite the fact that this six cylinder holds over 13 quarts, the instructions are adamant about not overfilling The OP also doesn't know how much extra oil is in the engine, he's only guessing at half quart