OT. How much does it cost the average American (family) for health care insurance.

Page 2 of 7

Workers Comp. would be FINE if they would eliminate the fraud and fake lawsuites...Strange how many that get kicked off welfare due to time limits , marriage , kids over 18 , ect. end up on Workers Comp then SSI Disability..It is a scam run right out in the open here in the Liberal State of Maine.....The Republicans TRIED to ammend the healthcare bill with Tort Reform....The Dems wouldn't allow it...We will STILL have the ambulance chasers like John Edwards running around and suing for fake injuries....You mean "bureaucrats" like the ones who CAN'T even run the Cash for Clunkers Program or any other Government Program for that matter...See the SS adm. or the VA...God help us....
Ullman wrote:

And what Canada pays from taxes to cover everyone there is no higher percentage of GDP that USA pays from taxes (and government borrowing, to be paid plus intrerest by taxpayers in the future) to cover only:
Medicare and Medicaid, sCHIPs, military and veterans, the few poor and low income workers actually benefiting from county programs, and employer contributions to health insurance premiums of gubmint workers in healthcare-related agencies.
Canada gubmint spends no higher percentage of GDP than USA does to cover what USA gubmint does not: The vast majority of private sector workers, a significant chunk of the unemployed, as well as gubmint employees outside healthcare-related agencies such as police officers and public school teachers and court employees.

Absolute nonsense. Did you think health care was free, that the doctors and nurses work gratis and all the medicine and equipment and facilities just magically appear at no cost to anyone?

"No premium" is not the same as "no payment". You're paying for it.
You figure out how.
Doug Miller wrote:

When I needed Eprex 3 times(1 cc shots by myself) a week it did not cost me a dime. Still taking anti rejection pills(may be rest of my life), Immuran and Rapamune every day. Nothing comes out of my pocket. I just phone in and go pick up the refill.

How great for you but don't be so ignorant as to believe that someone is not paying for it somewhere.

ca> wrote:

No obviously it IS being paid for (by taxation etc.) and medics of all types (and researchers) should be well paid. But it more a matter of eliminating much of the waste and inefficiency (and unnecessary duplication) from existing systems being run for profit!
stan wrote:

As I said elsewhere, the elimination of waste could easily cost more than just letting it go.
My grandmother had a cigar box labeled "pieces of string too short to be of any use." Same idea.

Hospitals buy a pair of rubber gloves for 3 cents, and sell it to the patient for $5. A box of Klennex tissues sold by the hospital is $13. A hospital has a separate department for billing and another for collections. I have seen a billing department with over 80 employees for just one hospital. Will the government fix this? Or, maybe the government needs to stop trying to fix things.
Phisherman wrote:

One guy, after he had already lost his house because of his enormous hospital bills. started checking those bills more thoroughly. The "mucus retrieval kit" for which he had been billed $78.xx turned out to be a box of Kleenex.

So do we just let the foxes continue to (pretend to) guard the hen house?
Perce
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:06:04 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

In American hospitals, them that pays, pay for them that don't pay !
Federal law requires hospitals to treat anyone that shows up at the door..... What percentage do you think pay for treatment ?
Hospitals in many Arizona towns have been put out of business by Mexicans who come across the border for treatment, then slip back across the border when discharged.....
We joke that the US border patrol could solve much of the illegals problem ( and help the hospitals too ) just by patrolling the Emergency Rooms !

Yes we have some problems with "Americans who come across the border too ...... !". At least in future, at the insistence of the US Dept. of Security, everyone will have a passport. And they will need it to get back into the States.
And talking about a 3 cent pair of gloves; if that's what they cost that's what they cost; here there is no 'billing the customer' at an inflated rate. The 3 cent's is just part of the cost of running the hospital. And with the oversight of government to control costs etc. the hospitals have considerable purchasing power to keep the costs of rubber gloves and/or drugs down to reasonable level!
That sort of thing is another reason that overhead admin. costs of the Canadian system are around 4%. In the USA it's around 20%.
We have all heard about the standard hammer that costs Uncle Sam's military forces $125!
Went for blood test the other day, the plastic card showed that I am a resident/taxpayer of this part of Canada. If I was resident of another province I would have been treated just the same and there would some sort sort of settlement between the two provinces.
stan wrote:

A couple years ago I was searching on line for some hinges. I found one supplier who claimed to specialize in supplying the Federal Govt. They had hinges the same as I had bought already at Lowe's (same manufacturer, same part number) -- but the price was at least 5 times higher.
Perce

Largely to cover the extra costs of going through the government procurement procedures. They might have been the same, but the government often requires a line of tests to make sure that it really is what it says it is. And don't even get me started on mil spec.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Plus, to sell to the government, you have to certify you don't discriminate, pay "prevailaing wages," undergo background checks, and donate to your local congressman's re-election campaign.
All these drive up the cost of doing business.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Years ago, a friend of mine who worked on medical equipment showed me a screw for an X-ray machine that had a price of $25.00. I could go to a hardware supplier and buy the same grade 8 socket head screw for 25 cents. The reason for the high cost of the X-ray machine screw was all the extensive certifications and testing along with a traceable paperwork trail. I think the paperwork weighed more than a box of 100 screws.
TDD
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:47:30 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Those screws are cheap. I have three screws in my leg, $650 each.
Phisherman wrote:

I can't imagine all the paperwork, certifications and testing that involved those screws.
TDD

IIRC they have to be able to match a specific serial numbered screw to a specific patient for recall purposes.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

A sneaky way to give you The Mark Of The Beast, serial numbers on all your medical implants. *snicker*
TDD

They identified the body of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, the controversial atheist, using the serial number of her store bought hip. *snicker*
-- Doug