OT: Home Depot prices

Page 1 of 2
I went into HD tonight and purchased
10 Post Caps (Simpson Strong Tie) bottle of drain cleaner bottle of bleach box of lag bolts container of 16d nails (170) small can of Purple primer
The bill was $120.
The damn post caps were $4 each.
Bill Stock wrote:

You only spent around 8.50 in 1970 dollars.

I only have Menards to compare them to, but they are significantly more expensive on most items. I have both HD and Menards within a mile of my house, and regularly find that HD is 20, 30 or more % more expensive. HD does seem to carry a wider range, and occasionally does good promotional prices on their own label stuff - I recently picked up a Husky driver bit set for $8 that will last me a few years.
I now go to Menards first, and just stop at HD if there were things Menards didn't carry. And I always check the prices on the things I bought at Menards, and laugh out loud at how much I saved!

It is what it is. Price the same stuff at other stores, then buy at the best place. Factor in gas and wear and tear. I shop at local Aces because they are 15 miles closer than Home Depot. For many items, I know they are high, but I don't have to drive as far.
Everything's going up because of transportation costs. And it's going to get worse.
Much worse.
Flee to the country and start a garden. Raise chickens and rabbits. Forget the rabbits, just harvest what's there. Our event horizon is gloomy.
Steve

No reason to raise rabbits or deer. Start a garden and they will come. Plant an apple orchard and you can feast on apple-fed rabbit and deer.
Make your own beer. Become good friends with the game warden. It's always open season on rabbits, but do not kill them until the temperature has been below 32F for a few days. For deer it's best to be good friends with the game warden.
Dick

I have moved to a community of 1400 people from a city approaching two million. I do welding. I believe I will have a nice arrangement going by bartering for things. We're in the process of meeting a LOT of very nice people, and this looks like the last stop before the bus goes over the cliff. We like it here. Before long, we'll know the whole town. Already gotten some tips on where to hunt for grouse and quail.
Steve
My problem with Home Depot is that there is no case price discount. They had some landscaping bricks for 89 cents each. I forget many to a pallet, but at least 200. They were still 89 cents each. Damn if it didn't take me a few days to few days to get a pallet at 77 cents each.
Dick

Common sense is short at HD. Contractor packs are much cheaper than ten loose fittings. Yet, it is sometimes hard to find unopened bags.
I had about $300 worth of goods once. I had some copper sweat fittings. Some were ten in a bag, and some were loose. One group was a group of ten, and the girl wasn't going to give them to me for the same as an identical amount of the identical product in a bag. Then there were six loose ones that wouldn't come up on computer. She said she couldn't sell them to me without a SKU or she'd lose her job. I said the sign back there was $.69, and to put them under nuts and bolts. No dice. Call the manager. Wait. Call the manager. Wait. Line backing up behind me.
After about ten minutes waiting for the manager, I just said forget it and walked out leaving it all on the counter and cart.
Sometimes they are so stupid at undercounting and undercharging, and other times, they won't move two pennies on a price if you're buying ten thousand of an item.
I just take it situation by situation now. I know what each item is when I go to the check out stand. If it rings out underpriced, oh well. If it's overpriced, I'll hold up the whole works for a price check. If they won't give it to me for the price at the bin, I'll hold everything up and ask for a manager.
Most clerks are twenty something idiots that can't make change or tell time.
Steve
Steve
Your daddy's hardware stored disappeared 25 years ago...get used to it!
Cashiers cannot set prices. Cashiers cannot ring up goods without a barcode label. Period. Get used to it.
There's one SKU for propaks and one for individual items. You can't interchange their bar codes. Get used to it!
You may not like it, but that's the way it is. Get used to it!

All systems have a general category under which they can ring up odd items.
Get used to it.
Steve
Whoops. Forgot the exclamation point. My bad.
SteveB wrote:

If a home depot cashier did something like that it is grounds to be marched outside and thrown under the bus.

I wanted about 10' of non kink hose in HD one time but the last 25' roll they had was hacked down to about 12'. They couldn't sell half a roll, my god we would need a manager or something. They would rather throw it out than sell it. So I tracked down a manager who made the executive decision to attach one of those miscellaneous tags and sell me my 10' of hose for 10/25*Original price. It took time, but it can be done.

I believe, at minimum, the dept mgr has to do the markdown. I frequently bought the Oops paint cans. Once there were a bunch in a basket. Asked if I could go through them. They said yes but I could not buy them yet until the dpt mgr marked them down even though everyone knew they would be five bucks.
I would not think of asking an employee in stores to risk their job for my convenience. If one is pissed about the way they instruct the employees, go beat on the ones who do the instructing.
curmudgeon wrote:

Ehy should we get use to it??? I think we need to take our business to local merchants if we can. Let the big guys adopt to their customers.
tim wrote:

Agree, it is amazing to see how well all of the big box marketing has worked. This poster exclaimed that there is only big box and everyone needs to adopt and then their is my neighbor as another example.
A few weeks back he said he was off to the "depot" to get some lumber for some project he was doing. We have a great local yard that is at most 5 minutes away and big box which is at best a minimum 25 minute drive.
I suggested that he could go to the local yard and got a deer in headlights look. This was the same guy who after seeing the quality lumber that I had delivered for a deck said "you must have been at the "depot" all afternoon picking this out". I explained that I ordered it via an email and that the reason the wood was good is simply because they order better quality from the mill.
SteveB wrote:

But thats pretty much big box. Big box stores are a one trick pony. They spend a fortune on advertising to buy mind share convincing people there just is no other place to go. They pay massive salaries to a few people on top and next to nothing to the "associates". Home depots leader got over $250 Million for his last 5 years. Assuming an 8 hour day thats $25,000.00 an *hour*.

But aren't you officially agreeing you like things the way they are by going back?

That's why I shop/compare on the Internet. I found the same Honda mower online (delivered to my door) as Home Depot sells for $60 more. When I asked, they knocked off a mere $20. But, you have to weigh returning the item if it is defective and the time it takes to ship a package. I found other stores will match an online purchase. Home Depot shoppers: Beware.

My options are limited. So, I consider convenience, need, time constraints, price, and many other things when choosing which every store I finally purchase an item at.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Me too, even though big box tries to tell everyone how great they are (which has many believing there is no other way) I pick them last because of convenience and time saving reasons.
Here is a good example. A fridge went bad in an apartment I own. If I took the big box savings and efficiency route I would need to go to the store to pick it out and schedule a delivery for whatever day they go to my area and wait around for them to come.
I called the evil family owned appliance place that is a few towns over and told him what I needed. He said he could deliver one that afternoon. Since I was busy at another location I asked if he could call 20 minutes before they came so I wouldn't have to wait. They did and I was at the apartment for 10 minutes.
wrote

And yet you, like me, will pay double for an item from a very close shop no matter what the name when you had to have it fixed yesterday and you can save an hour or two by doing so.
Steve