OT: Home Depot prices

"Bill Stock" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I believe, at minimum, the dept mgr has to do the markdown. I frequently bought the Oops paint cans. Once there were a bunch in a basket. Asked if I could go through them. They said yes but I could not buy them yet until the dpt mgr marked them down even though everyone knew they would be five bucks.

I would not think of asking an employee in stores to risk their job for my convenience. If one is pissed about the way they instruct the employees, go beat on the ones who do the instructing.

Reply to
Red Green

Damn! How'd you get a low rate card!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought we had the highest sales tax in the USA: 9.75% in Tennessee. Your sales tax is outrageous at 14%? Where?

Reply to
Phisherman

You do know, don't you, that you can get a gallon of bleach at any grocery store for less than half that?

Grocery store...

Not a "small" bottle at that price, I don't think.

?????

Holy smokes! Where do you live, that you have a 14% sales tax?? Here in Indiana, tax on that order would have been $6.37.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Agree, it is amazing to see how well all of the big box marketing has worked. This poster exclaimed that there is only big box and everyone needs to adopt and then their is my neighbor as another example.

A few weeks back he said he was off to the "depot" to get some lumber for some project he was doing. We have a great local yard that is at most 5 minutes away and big box which is at best a minimum 25 minute drive.

I suggested that he could go to the local yard and got a deer in headlights look. This was the same guy who after seeing the quality lumber that I had delivered for a deck said "you must have been at the "depot" all afternoon picking this out". I explained that I ordered it via an email and that the reason the wood was good is simply because they order better quality from the mill.

Reply to
George

Not sure what Bleach sells for here. But I was there, the Bleach was there and besides it's 'professional' Bleach.

OK, so they're large honkin' bolts 6" x .5"

Ontario; 6% Federal and 8% Provincial. Soon to be 5% Federal. WooHoo! Most people were happier when the Federal tax was hidden in the price, but then it was 13.5% Manufacturer's tax + 7% Provincial. But at least they didn't charge it on services.

Reply to
Bill Stock

"George" wrote

My options are limited. So, I consider convenience, need, time constraints, price, and many other things when choosing which every store I finally purchase an item at.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Me too, even though big box tries to tell everyone how great they are (which has many believing there is no other way) I pick them last because of convenience and time saving reasons.

Here is a good example. A fridge went bad in an apartment I own. If I took the big box savings and efficiency route I would need to go to the store to pick it out and schedule a delivery for whatever day they go to my area and wait around for them to come.

I called the evil family owned appliance place that is a few towns over and told him what I needed. He said he could deliver one that afternoon. Since I was busy at another location I asked if he could call 20 minutes before they came so I wouldn't have to wait. They did and I was at the apartment for 10 minutes.

Reply to
George

And yet you, like me, will pay double for an item from a very close shop no matter what the name when you had to have it fixed yesterday and you can save an hour or two by doing so.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I didn't pay double or even any sort of premium? The "evil family owned place" was a bit of cynicism on may part. Why does everyone assume that big box must be less expensive?

Reply to
George

Sorry I didn't explain my point better. Sometimes when I NEED something, I just go buy it, and sometimes I pay too much wherever that is.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't know about others, but whenever I can, I buy from locally owned hardware stores and lumber yards before I go to HD.

In out town, we have a locally owned Ace Hardware / lumber store (Parco), and a chain called McCoys, Texas owned chain I think. I'll go to these places before I will Home Depot. Usually as good and often better prices than HD, friendly and helpful service, and keep the money closer to home.

Just my opinion,

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob