OT. Giant TV screens,,

Page 1 of 2
have been set up in the streets of cities where riots/looting has occurred in the UK Pictures shown taken from CCTV of looters etc for IDing them. They must be mental, we have more CCTV here than anywhere else in the world.
Also posting them on-line. http://www.flickr.com/photos/metropolitanpolice /
180 pages of pix so far. Anyone here you know?
Over1200 have been charged so far. They reckon the total could top 3000
<http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/police-post-pictures-of-looters-online-as-london-cleans-up-50004671/
On 8/14/2011 1:28 PM, harryagain wrote:

<http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/police-post-pictures-of-looters-online-as-london-cleans-up-50004671/
Somewhere in heaven, George Orwell is smiling.
--
aem sends...

<stuff snipped>

<http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/police-post-pictures-of-looters-online-as - london-cleans-up-50004671/>
George was a renowned atheist. He probably wouldn't be found in heaven, if there's an afterlife. (-:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Orwell
He is best known for the dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four (published in 1949) and the satirical novella Animal Farm (1945)-they have together sold more copies than any two books by any other twentieth-century author . . . Orwell did not accept the existence of an afterlife, believing in the finality of death while living and advocating a moral code based on Judeo-Christian beliefs.
-- Bobby G.

And they have--utterly and completely--failed in their purpose.
The original purpose of CCTV was to PREVENT chaos, not to aid in the arrest of those who caused it. The original purpose was to PREVENT victims, not to help find the culprits who created victims out of innocent persons.
I recently read two interesting statistics from British prison-psychiatrist Theodore Dalrymple: 1) Only one out of 12 British burglaries is ever investigated; 2) Only one out of 13 captured burglars is ever punished.
As Dalrymple says, the wonder is not that there are so many burglars in the UK, the wonder is that there are so few.
Why is Britain the anarchic mess that it is? You get three guesses, and the first two don't count.
--
Tegger

The reason is Bliar and the PC set.

Nothing to do with Blair in specific, and everything to do with the morons that have run the UK in general since about 1960.
Your stupid country actively punishes people who defend against violence. At the same time, the perpetrators of that violence are allowed -- nay, deliberately incited -- to do whatever they like to innocents, with little or no threat of punishment, and sometimes even monetary rewards for having committed their violence.
Anarchy caused by crushing, thoroughly-misguided authority: That's your United Kingdom.
--
Tegger

A Clockwork Orange wasn't fiction.

I know. The demise of the British Empire was Goerge Bush's fault.

You're just too funny, harry. I guess you would be happier speaking German or Russian.

Great quote. I read about a recent study about how often people lie about things large and small. The result? How can you tell when someone's lying? Their lips are moving. People lie ALL the time and the more remote they are physically, they more they lie. They lie about things that don't make any difference to anyone or provide the liars with a reward.
I can imagine that when you get a selective enough population, like a prison, you get people who lie all the time about everything.
I recall they said that the talking head interview in front of a green screen set with a "magicked in" background and only a camera in the room is the atmosphere that is most conducive to lying because there's no human feedback. Think of that when you watch the evening news.
-- Bobby G.
<stuff snipped>

(-:
I'd like to see a study that ranked various occupations for truthfulness. I don't recall truth being very important at the law firm I worked at. Plausible denial was the thing to shoot for. The second most important things witnesses were told was how to say "I can't remember" in at least four different ways: "I have no recollection of those events","those were hazy times", "I can't remember that far back", and the famous "I couldn't swear to it."
Truth is allegedly important to journalists but look at what's happening to the whole lying phone-message tapping bunch of limey newsmen/women. They are clearly more concerned with the lies that others tell than their own lies.
Doctors? Most docs today claim they are booked months in advance so they can discourage patients who don't have insurance or are on the "I Sued A Doctor" list that more and more are subscribing to. So they start off by lying. (-:
Diogenes, where might we find a truthful man in 2011. Not in the Whitehouse or Congress, either . . .
Somebody once said lies are the grease that lubricates society.
-- Bobby G.

It won't. Obama's press won't let it.

Not to worry. A scapegoat will be found.

You think that bothers them? It's for the children.

It's amazing how such a bad idea got so much traction. The key to the coverup is all the lateral transfers. In the FedGov, a lateral transfer means "you keep (a) job and your pension as long as you keep your mouth shut." Sometimes it even means a "no work" job like Linda Tripp, the woman who recorded Monica Lewinsky got when that story broke. We'll see. The families will be paid off if they agree to shut up, trails will grow cold, people will retire, and people will forget is my bet. It's not anywhere near the impact that Waco had with burning children and weeks of bizarre public theater. That was SO OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!
And yet now we have this, proving that lessons learned barely span a generation. I'll bet you could analyze the past, computer a "forget" factor and predict what will happen next. I've lived long enough to see we don't learn from the past.
Honestly, a lot of these secret ops don't get high approval for the very reason you might suspect: they know they'll never get it. What's that old line? "Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission." It's along the lines of "did Rupert Murdoch know about the phone funny business?" Ever see "Soylent Green" when the governor says: "I CAN'T know any more about this" and walks away from an aide giving him bad news. Somebody with a lot of juice got a bright idea and no one wanted to "not be on board." Happens wherever groups of people meet. (-:
The latest in business is HP. It's literally flopping around like a fish out of water, changing CEOs, abandoning previously core parts of their business. They had to take Meg Whitman because no one else wanted the job. Many never even returned the phone calls, the journals say.
Higher ups can be as blind as field operatives are optimistic. I don't see a big conspiracy - yet. I see a stove-piped para-military organization that's lost its way and is struggling for a "big win" but gambled and lost. Again.
It will be interesting to see where the chips in F&F finally fall out. Getting agents killed is a big driving force. It should never happen. In reality, it happens all the time. We just don't hear about it. But it's not Waco. No babies died. Makes a big difference to Jane EnquirerReader.
-- Bobby G.

Answer #2: A country of harrys.

It didn't happen in a decade. You've been losers for the better part of the last century.

Absolute nonsense. The sun set on the British Empire *long* ago.

We're only just going where you've long been.

You're 100% wrong on that one.

Andy comments:
Go and hang around alt.sixtyplus which has a lot of Brit posters, and start asking questions about the riots. You'll soon have a good idea of the British psyche .
Andy in Eureka, Texas
harry wrote:

True, many people in America are killed by gunfire (and other means), but the simple truth is that they needed killin'.
As for foreign travel, I can't speak for othes, but I, myself, have been to southern Mississippi. I spent two weeks there one night.

Most US murders are drug- and gang-related.
There was a study a while back, of, I believe, Newark NJ and Baltimore MD, which revealed that some 90% of murders in each city were drug- and gang- related.
Repeal the appallingly moronic and deadly "war" on drugs and America's murder rate may well drop /below/ that of the UK.
It must also be stated that the US and the UK measure murder rates differently: In the US, it's the ORIGINAL CHARGE that's recorded. If the charge later gets dropped, or pled-down to a lesser offense, the incident still gets counted in the murder statistics. In the UK, the original charge is followed through the courts. If the charge gets dropped or pled-down, the incident comes off the murder statistics. Therefore, UK statistics are biased low compared to US statistics.

We were almost on the VA/NC border, a few weeks ago. I didn't see any murders at all, even in border territory.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Well, yeah, that would work.
Once that threshold is breached, we can repeal the laws on murder. That would drop the murder rate as well.
Beware of unintended consequences of simple solutions.