OT. Giant TV screens,,

have been set up in the streets of cities where riots/looting has occurred in the UK Pictures shown taken from CCTV of looters etc for IDing them. They must be mental, we have more CCTV here than anywhere else in the world.

Also posting them on-line.

180 pages of pix so far. Anyone here you know?

Over1200 have been charged so far. They reckon the total could top 3000

Reply to
harryagain

Somewhere in heaven, George Orwell is smiling.

Reply to
aemeijers

"harryagain" wrote in news:j290kl$epo$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And they have--utterly and completely--failed in their purpose.

The original purpose of CCTV was to PREVENT chaos, not to aid in the arrest of those who caused it. The original purpose was to PREVENT victims, not to help find the culprits who created victims out of innocent persons.

I recently read two interesting statistics from British prison-psychiatrist Theodore Dalrymple: 1) Only one out of 12 British burglaries is ever investigated; 2) Only one out of 13 captured burglars is ever punished.

As Dalrymple says, the wonder is not that there are so many burglars in the UK, the wonder is that there are so few.

Why is Britain the anarchic mess that it is? You get three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Reply to
Tegger

George was a renowned atheist. He probably wouldn't be found in heaven, if there's an afterlife. (-:

He is best known for the dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four (published in

1949) and the satirical novella Animal Farm (1945)-they have together sold more copies than any two books by any other twentieth-century author . . . Orwell did not accept the existence of an afterlife, believing in the finality of death while living and advocating a moral code based on Judeo-Christian beliefs.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

The reason is Bliar and the PC set.

Reply to
harryagain

Answer #2: A country of harrys.

Reply to
krw

It didn't happen in a decade. You've been losers for the better part of the last century.

Reply to
krw

Absolute nonsense. The sun set on the British Empire *long* ago.

We're only just going where you've long been.

You're 100% wrong on that one.

Reply to
krw

"harryagain" wrote in news:j2agjr$rfv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Nothing to do with Blair in specific, and everything to do with the morons that have run the UK in general since about 1960.

Your stupid country actively punishes people who defend against violence. At the same time, the perpetrators of that violence are allowed -- nay, deliberately incited -- to do whatever they like to innocents, with little or no threat of punishment, and sometimes even monetary rewards for having committed their violence.

Anarchy caused by crushing, thoroughly-misguided authority: That's your United Kingdom.

Reply to
Tegger

A Clockwork Orange wasn't fiction.

Reply to
krw

Andy comments:

Go and hang around alt.sixtyplus which has a lot of Brit posters, and start asking questions about the riots. You'll soon have a good idea of the British psyche .

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

I know. The demise of the British Empire was Goerge Bush's fault.

Reply to
krw

You're just too funny, harry. I guess you would be happier speaking German or Russian.

Reply to
krw

True, many people in America are killed by gunfire (and other means), but the simple truth is that they needed killin'.

As for foreign travel, I can't speak for othes, but I, myself, have been to southern Mississippi. I spent two weeks there one night.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:rJidnbVdVtNqzM_TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Most US murders are drug- and gang-related.

There was a study a while back, of, I believe, Newark NJ and Baltimore MD, which revealed that some 90% of murders in each city were drug- and gang- related.

Repeal the appallingly moronic and deadly "war" on drugs and America's murder rate may well drop /below/ that of the UK.

It must also be stated that the US and the UK measure murder rates differently: In the US, it's the ORIGINAL CHARGE that's recorded. If the charge later gets dropped, or pled-down to a lesser offense, the incident still gets counted in the murder statistics. In the UK, the original charge is followed through the courts. If the charge gets dropped or pled-down, the incident comes off the murder statistics. Therefore, UK statistics are biased low compared to US statistics.

We were almost on the VA/NC border, a few weeks ago. I didn't see any murders at all, even in border territory.

Reply to
Tegger

Well, yeah, that would work.

Once that threshold is breached, we can repeal the laws on murder. That would drop the murder rate as well.

Beware of unintended consequences of simple solutions.

Reply to
HeyBub

The unintended consequences of repealing drug laws can hardly be any worse than the *intended* consequences of the laws as they exist now.

Case in point, part I: Try to justify the 18-to-1 disparity (formerly 100-to-1) in sentencing for possession of crack cocaine vs. possession of the identical mass of powder cocaine. Users of the first tend, generally, to have darker skin than users of the second; explain why this is unrelated to the disparity in sentencing.

Case in point, part II: Try to justify making a criminal act out of John Q. Citizen smoking marijuana in the privacy of his own living room -- bearing in mind that the only defensible reason for depriving any citizen of life, liberty, or property is that his conduct in some way harms or imperils someone *else*. Explain how this is qualitatively different from drinking whiskey in the privacy of his own living room, to the extent that the former should be a crime and the latter should not.

Case in point, part III: In many jurisdictions, possession of more than some threshold amount of a substance upgrades the crime from possession (typically a misdemeanor) to possession with intent to distribute (typically a felony). I make my own beer and wine at home; at present, I have approximately 25 gallons of beer, and 50 of wine, in my basement. Explain why this should be legal, but I could go to prison for four years, and be fined ten thousand dollars, for having ten pounds of marijuana along with the beer and wine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Forget it- we've tried to explain it to harry before- if you don't hang out in areas (mainly gang-infested old urban areas) where people carry guns to prove how manly they are, and don't screw around with married women, your chances of getting shot in this country are right up there with getting hit by lightning. I've been to other countries, and read about most. I like my odds of survival, physical and financial, much better here.

Reply to
aemeijers

Great quote. I read about a recent study about how often people lie about things large and small. The result? How can you tell when someone's lying? Their lips are moving. People lie ALL the time and the more remote they are physically, they more they lie. They lie about things that don't make any difference to anyone or provide the liars with a reward.

I can imagine that when you get a selective enough population, like a prison, you get people who lie all the time about everything.

I recall they said that the talking head interview in front of a green screen set with a "magicked in" background and only a camera in the room is the atmosphere that is most conducive to lying because there's no human feedback. Think of that when you watch the evening news.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Prohibition showed how futile it was to try to keep people from alcohol, a substance that can be produced quite easily at home. Just like marijuana. The "bonus" from Prohibition was the creation of a powerful criminal underclass (just like what's happening in Mexico) that haunts us still today. My lawyer friend assures me that the alcohol industry spends millions to fund alleged "grass roots" anti-drug groups (astroturfers, after the fake "green") and lobbyists because they know what legalization will do to their profits. They'll plummet.

It won't be that way too much longer. Lots of lives have been ruined for idiotically small amounts of pot. When enough lawmaker's kids get screwed, the laws will change. Another couple of years of bad tax revenue in California, and they'll legalize what already is an enormous industry.

It's people who have been brainwashed that pot leads to heroin that keep these laws afloat, but they'll die out. Or when the get glaucoma or cancer, they'll find that there is indeed a legitmate medical use for it that no other man-made pharmaceutical provides. The war on drugs is just like our two other wars. Not much to show for a shi+ load of money spent.

Speaking of brainwashing I saw a piece on TV about the alleged four areas of the tongue (salty, sweet, sour and bitter). That map we all saw as kids is total BS, just like the pot to heroin myth:

"Only in recent years have taste receptors been identified. One of the first breakthroughs in taste research came in 1974 with the realization that the tongue map was essentially a century-old misunderstanding that no one challenged."

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green