OT Gettting a used car checked by a mechanic before buying it

When my son was in high school he was always looking for the cheap cars. I tried to instill in him that the overall cost was important. Knowing repairs would be needed, buy something you can get parts for.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The People's Court is a legal, binding arbitration of the sort you'd find anywhere in the US - except it's televised. Judge Milian was appointed to the Miami Circuit Court by Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida. Before that she spent five years in the Miami County Court in the domestic violence, criminal and civil divisions. Before serving in the county court, she worked as an assistant state's attorney in Dade County for 10 years. Judge Judith Scheindlin has even more legal experience although primarily in the family court system. So their legal "chops" are well-established.

I've watched both programs for many years and the legal advice is quite sound and often better than you'd get from attorneys who often take clearly unwinnable cases just to generate a fee.

Both "shows" take cases that have already been filed in small claims courts across the nation and participants sign documents agree to move those cases to binding arbitration. The only difference is that litigants get remuneration that they wouldn't get in small claims court or in binding arbitration which seems fair considering how some richly embarrass themselves with their frivolous claims on national TV.

In years of watching I've seen only a few cases that I didn't think were decided fairly because the judges lacked adequate subject matter training/education to be able to decide some finer points. If you don't think that happens in real courtrooms, I have a bridge to sell you.

As any regular viewer can attest, in both courtroom shows, people learn to a) get it in writing, b) document with photographs or video any matter than might lead to litigation and c) have an expert check out the merchandise (car, house, boat, etc) BEFORE the sale. How are those bad ideas? Why would someone be considered a fool for following them?

It's also pretty obvious to me that our national educational system has completely failed to instill proper ideas about the law and the civil court system into our citizens. The People's Court is one of the few places that serves to educate people about the rules of civil procedure outside of a law school.

The unwinnable cases that are constantly filed are a grim reminder of how many people have completely erroneous ideas about the court system. Or as Judge Milian says: "Court is not a "cha-ching" bonanza - it's about making you whole after a wrong has been done." Based on the number of morons who think that just because the landlord took a week to fix a broken window that they no longer have to pay rent -ever- I believe her show and JJ's program serve a vital public interest.

I would speculate that anyone watching the show regularly has picked up something about the law they didn't know before. I learned about

from the PC. Many cases involve work by contractors and anyone considering hiring one could learn a great deal about what you need to do to avoid ending up in a lawsuit.

If you have evidence to the contrary, particularly examples of either judge giving out patently bad advice, I'd love to hear it but somehow I suspect you're damning something you don't know much about. That would fall under the heading of "don't take advice from someone unfamiliar with the subject." That's another thing you might learn from watching the People's Court. (-:

SH

Reply to
Sherlock.Homes

Percival P. Cassidy posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

It was used in the coil circuit to reduce voltage to 9 volts while running to give longer life to the points. Bypassed while starting so full voltage would go to the points.

Reply to
Tekkie®

more like 7.5 actually, but you got the principal right.

Reply to
clare

Idiot. You should have agreed with the girlfriend wholeheartedly and given her a ride home.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Some fellows just aren't skilled mechanics like myself. Sigh. He got the girl, and I got to tell the story on Usenet. Now, who's crying?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I may not have read all messages.

yeah, long time ago... I had a 66 Dart gave it away at 200k miles and the new owner crashed it a year later.

Reply to
Tekkie®