OT Gas pump skimmers

Page 3 of 5
On 9/16/2016 10:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes though they won't share that information with you.
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 11:26:26 PM UTC-4, anonymous wrote:

Then I can't put it on the required documents, such as the police report or the affidavit of theft.
If they put it on the forms for me as part of their "assistance", I wouldn't sign them without reviewing them first.

No, lol, they won't either. Comcast is not going to risk intentionally compromising an account holders personal details to anyone outside of LE as it places them at risk of a winnable (against them) lawsuit for good sums if what was stated by the individual(s) 'affected' turned out not being true.
Sat, 17 Sep 2016 02:50:12 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

No. The company (comcast) shouldn't be willing to share anything about the account. They don't actually know for sure that what your daughter told them is true, ya see. They don't know your daughter or the suspect account holder on a personal level.
As if your daughter (i'm not saying she is) was lying about this and comcast disclosed that account holders information to her based on what she said alone, they would have compromised the account holders information and opened themselves to a tasty lawsuit in the process.
She needs to hire a lawyer and proceed via legal channels.

None that I know of for the aforementioned reasons stated.
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 9:32:11 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

My questions were more or less rhetorical and mainly asked of those who claimed that their bank/credit union would take care of everything for them. I seriously doubt it, but none of them have responded. If the only thing that $600 gets you is assistance with filling out forms, setting up fraud alerts and other fairly simple things, I'll pass. My daughter and I got that all done ourselves - including managing to get enough information to give to Comcast to be able to prove that it wasn't her account.
I'm still curious why neither of the service providers that T&S linked us to mentioned helping with setting up Credit Freezes, not just Fraud Alerts,
Sun, 18 Sep 2016 02:58:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

And most likely they closed the account and a note was attached so your daughter won't be on the hook for the balance and it won't ding her credit record.
OTH, I seriously doubt they provided you any additional information concerning the account itself. Depending on the amount owed on the account, Comcast may/may not decide to go after the individual who created it and they have more information to try to determine that.

Most likely due to the different types of credit and amount of credit accounts in use because several different companies would all have to be on the same page? It's probably also why they can't monitor all transaction points in realtime. They don't have full cooperation with everyones network that plays a role in the process. Especially since some systems aren't billing you in realtime.
You may notice in the fine print, none of those services claim to be able to alert you in all cases as none of them monitor ALL possible transactions which can occur.
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 11:20:38 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

We shall see. It is currently noted as "under dispute" on her credit reports.

How could they not have provided me "information concerning the account itself"? Without account specific information, you can't fill out the ID theft forms that they require.

...and we may decide to go after the individual ourselves. They provided me with enough information to most likely identify the individual that opened the account. (I'm pretty good at social engineering) We are inquiring through other channels (unrelated to Comcast) as to whether or not we should pursue legal action on this.

You should probably look up what a "Credit Freeze" is. Credit Freezes are done through the credit rating agencies. No one has to be on the same page because a CF is set up with the 3 credit agencies individually. A CF prevents potential creditors from accessing your credit report, which may in turn cause them to refuse to open an account. Only a person with the PIN supplied by the credit agencies can lift the freeze and allow access. They can even allow access for a specific period of time and for a specific creditor. "Here is my PIN number. I authorize you to release my credit report to Verizon Wireless but only if they call you within 3 business days."
If a potential creditor decides to open an account without using a credit report, a CF won't prevent it, but that's not a reason for "assistance with setting up Credit Freezes" to not be listed as service that the banks/ credit unions provide. They offer to help set up Fraud Alerts, which are done in basically the same way - through the credit agencies - so why not offer assistance with the higher level of security?
Let's give them benefit of the doubt and say that, at least in the case of the two providers mentioned by T&S, they simply (coincidentally) left that item off the list of services that they provide. Let's say that they actually do assist with setting up a CF. I then have to wonder why they would accidentally(?) not mention such a powerful tool in their list of services. It makes me question their attention to detail which makes me question how much attention to detail they would provide if I took advantage of their services.
Sun, 18 Sep 2016 13:24:23 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Hmm. Perhaps I wasn't clear in what I was trying to convey.... So, I'll try again. I seriously doubt Comcast provided you specific account details that you didn't already have concerning the 'bogus' account setup in your daughters name. Specifics about the account. If it's not using your daughters address, for example, I doubt Comcast provided you the address on file.
In the unlikely event they did, somebody fucked up, and I hope that call isn't pulled for review. The associate will lose his/her job if it is.

At this point, I'm going to close with "I pulled a year or so working for a big bank via third party in debit/credit card fraud". I know how credit freezes work, thanks. I know a lot about the banking industry from the inside, actually. And, it's not a universal, click a button, ALL credit cards/credit based loans are 'frozen' until you say otherwise. It doesn't work like that.
There are multiple systems in play when you swipe the card and it's those systems that must be told NOT to allow the transaction to go thru.

They can be, to a point. Those types of freezes will stop the clients ss# from being used to establish new lines of credit, WHEN they are notified of it. It's not instant, it doesn't even happen on the same day in some cases.
As for your American Express and Discover cards, a freeze on one does NOT automagically cause a freeze on the other. The networks don't share information between each other like that.
It seems like your assuming that a credit freeze is a gloabl act and you only have to do it once and all credit cards, credit based lines of credit, etc, are 'frozen' until you say otherwise. If that were the case, various credit card companies wouldn't be rolling their own 'freeze/pause' options for their cards.

A CF using the agencies does exactly as you describe. However, it does not prevent accounts already established from being abused by someone other than your daughter unless they take additional steps to have those accounts 'frozen' as well. And, that process varies from CC and bank to bank.
A freeze like this works both ways, though. It delays reports of your daughters responsible use of credit from the agencies she conducts business with.
IE: Say you freeze her via the agencies. Her credit cards aren't frozen until/unless you contact the issuing companies and freeze them. She can't open a new one, but, she can still use the ones she already has open. The credit agencies are not notified real time concerning CC transactions and loan payments. Nor are they notified 'real time' when someone goes to establish a new account. It could take hours to several days before the request goes thru their network and is declined as a result of the freeze.
It depends on the merchant who's trying to establish the account on the individuals behalf. And, that's assuming they run a credit check beforehand. If the merchant doesn't (some don't for various reasons) then the fraudster temporarily has created a new account that your daughter is initially responsible for.
Don't take my word for any of this. Call the bank(s) you and your daughter deal with and ask them yourself. Freezing say your Discover card doesn't automatically freeze your American Express card.
It would be very convenient, super nice, and greatly reduce fraud if you could make a single call or use a single app and freeze everything, but, it doesn't work that way.
It would also greatly help reduce fraud if merchants took security seriously and checked ID when you're making a purchase with a cc/debit card too; they're supposed to! but, often they do not.
Prior to my leaving the company there were some rumours going around about the possibility of holding merchants liable for fraudulent transactions because they didn't check the customers ID to match the name given on the card. Chipped cards are supposed to greatly reduce the level of fraud, but, they haven't made a significant dent yet.
Oh, and just so you know, by default, Bank of America's policy is to deny your claim of fraud if a chipped card was used as it's supposed to be 'super secure'; IE: they doubt your word at that point.
I wish you the best of luck getting your daughters issues straightened out. I understand how much of a pain in the ass it can be.
On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 3:16:24 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Doubt all you want...that's what happened. Like I said, I'm pretty good at social engineering.

I hope they don't. They were the only one willing to really help. If they lose their job, then that would be a real shame because without that information, it would have been really hard for my daughter to provide documentation that proved she didn't live at the address on the account during the time of the theft. Yes, the same person also told me the date that the account was open. Those were 2 pieces of information we needed and that person was the only one willing to provide it.

I never said it does, in fact I never mentioned anything about freezes on individual cards/accounts.

I never said that or even implied that. In fact, I detailed the *exact* type of CF that I said was left off the list of services provided by the banks/credit unions "fraud protection departments."
How you took that as a "global assumption" is beyond me.

Yep...there it is ^.
I knew I said it. Note the words "refuse to open an account." I never said or even implied that I thought it covered existing accounts.
In addition, I even used the words "may refuse" to show that I am aware that even that type of CF is not perfect.
Regardless, none of this matters as it relates to my original question.
Why isn't the specific type of CF that I am talking about included in their list of services?

Thanks for all that information, although I know all of that already. I specifically mentioned the type of CF that is done through the agencies and that prevents a potential creditor from pulling a person's credit report without that person expressed permission for that specific pull. Again, thanks for all that information, but none of it explains why the list of services provided at the links that T&S posted does not mention offering assistance with the specific type of CF that I am talking about.
Mon, 19 Sep 2016 00:29:47 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

You may have succesfully socially engineered someone out of a job. That's on them, as training is provided to detect when you're being played and if they missed it (seems they did), well.. I hope the call isn't pulled for review.
I've seen several associates go down the tubes by trying to help customers. It only takes one little slip and some asshole in QA review to shitcan you for it. In those types of jobs, you're a warm body essentially. More than expendable.

It wasn't information they were supposed to disclose to you. They placed Comcast in an ackward position by doing so. In this case, it's fraud, but, if it hadn't of been and you successfully scored someones legit account information, it would have been Comcasts fault.
If the call is pulled, Comcast probably isn't going to take the circumstances into consideration. They'll see the associate provided you information they shouldn't have and they'll be walked out the front doors. I've seen it happen to otherwise, great associates one too many times. I found another job because I figured, it was only a matter of time before I'd get a call like that and want to help and do so, and violate some policy as I did. I felt terrible looking at one persons account, knowing what they told me was the truth, and not being able to help them. I couldn't even tell the person who the account was being 'shared' with.

You'd have to ask them. Company policies and their reasons for doing/not doing something vary slightly from place to place.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe they are among the multitudes of Usenetters who filter out GoogleGroups...
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 7:11:13 PM UTC-4, Sam Hill wrote:

AFAIKT they both responded directly to *my* post about my daughter's incident with Comcast.

so all this is more convenient to you compared to carrying a few pieces of green paper?
I try to use cash for everyday purchases.
I guess that we we have choices....
take care...
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 1:56:17 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

All what? My daughter's ID theft? If so, it was totally unrelated to any credit and/or debit card. Using cash would not have prevented the ID theft. If she had never had a debit or credit card in her life it would not have prevented the ID theft.

Oren posted for all of us...

ObamaHackCare?
--
Tekkie

Fri, 16 Sep 2016 18:12:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Hmm. Something sounds a bit off here. Please describe how you believe the ID theft occured. If you have already, I apologize for asking you to repeat yourself. I didn't see the post.
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 9:32:12 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Why do you think something sounds "off"?
Do you think that credit/debit card fraud is the only type of ID theft that exists?
Sun, 18 Sep 2016 03:01:19 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

No. As I mentioned previously, I was trained in fraud detection/prevention. I dealt with unhappy people every day who had fraud on their account(s). Sometimes, the customer was responsible for it, but, most of the time, the customer had nothing to do with it.
When the customer was responsible for it, it was known as customer fraud. IE: you loaned your card out to someone and decided to fight the charges later. Or, you're a broke college kid and you 'sold your account' to someone else. IE: they asked you to deposit something and withdraw it and give them most of the funds with you taking a cut. You then call your bank and play stupid about it. OR, you call your bank when you figure out you're liable for the debt now owed on the account only to be told you are liable and the bank is going to come after you for it. I didn't like having to tell people that. Talk about a pissed off individual...
You could even be tricked? into selling your account without really realizing you were doing it, taking the customers word, per say. At the end of the day though, the bank would still hold you liable for the transactions.
Credit/debit card fraud is one type of ID theft. Another is a data breach which would have exposed your daughters personal records to someone who shouldn't have access. And, that individual, using such information goes and establishes accounts in the victims name.
I said it seemed off because you didn't mention (if you did, I didn't see the post, sorry) how the ID theft took place. Was your daughters information compromised due to a data breach with a company she did business with previously?
On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 3:16:23 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Whether I mentioned it or not (I didn't) I still don't know why you think the part of my post that you quoted sounded "off".
mako made an irrelevant/inaccurate comment to which I responded to by saying that my daughter's ID theft had nothing to do with a "card". You said that "sounded a bit off". I'm still don't see how my response to mako would make some one say "Hmm. Something sounds a bit off here."
On 9/18/2016 7:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The douche bag believes his own press, and will make you pay if you cross him. Fair warning ahead of time. Any discussion with this nutcase turns into lengthy bitch fests, but you've probably seen some of his lengthy rants already. He's one crazy son of a bitch. Run like hell before he sets his eyes on you to make you pay.
You're talking to RAID - infamous black hat - if you believe all his shit.