OT Drone shoot in Colorado.

Page 1 of 2
Colorado citizens considering a bounty for shooting down a drone. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/18/colorado-town-ponders-drone-bounty
Jist thought you'd like to know. :-)

That should be an excellent way to hone your hand/eye coordination!

And most likely get arrested for any number of federal violations let alone getting sued for the damages to the drone.

Not all drones are operated by the feds. Some are privately owned. The privately owned drones may be fair game over your property even without the law.

My guess is it would not make any difference since they are operating under the authority of the FAA and subject to them. Thus you have limited airspace where they can operate. I don't know of any reason you could destroy someone else's property. It is well established that the FAA has sole jurisdiction over the airways in the US and has exclusive authorization on the use of the airways. It also has already stated that it is taking that jurisdiction over drones of any an all kinds.
the Supreme Court has recognized that a landowner had property rights in the lower reaches of the airspace above their property. The law, in balancing the public interest in using the airspace for air navigation against the landowner's rights, declared that a landowner owns only so much of the airspace above their property as they may reasonably use in connection with their enjoyment of the underlying land. In other words, a person's real property ownership includes a reasonable amount of the airspace above the property. But they also went on to say that a landowner can't arbitrarily try to prevent aircraft from overflying their land by erecting "spite poles," for example. While probably not exactly on point, it would tend to make the argument that you also couldn't shoot down drones.
<stuff snipped>

You can be arrested and prosecuted for even shining a bright laser at an airplane. Let's have Gordon shoot down an FAA approved drone, especially a military one, and tell us what happens. My hunch is the outcome will not be good and it will very expensive since Predator drones retail for four million dollars and up, depending on the "option package."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-1_Predator
More importantly, they are designed to absorb a significant amount of small arms fire and still function. Maybe a Vulcan minigun could do the trick but I don't see any listed on Ebay . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M61_Vulcan
--
Bobby G.
AHR - Home of great home repair advice and not so great real-world advice

Look here around the 2:50 mark for practice for shooting down drones.

That probably means that at least a few people on both sides of the issue are taking it seriously. Especially those who don't know what the word "symbolic" means. Sadly you don't need to take an IQ test to either vote or own a gun. I'd support both.
I haven't followed the story closely enough to know whether the declaration of symbolism was right from the start or made after-the-fact in response to cries of "you can't do that!" The FAA rules the skies with impugnity and they've prosecuted more than a few helium balloon/lawn chair fliers on various charges.
I'm sure that now the idea has been planted, they're primed to prosecute the daylights out of anyone stupid enough to shoot down a recon drone that's sending home pictures of itself being attacked. Or, as others have pointed out, it could turn out the drone decides to stand its ground and starts shooting back. If corporations are people, why not robots and drones? You just know that when humanoid robots get realistic enough, *someone* is going to want to marry one and will want it to share its employment benefits.
I'm sure in a year or two you'll be able to buy anti-drone drones from China, probably on E-bay, that you can use to protect your airspace. Or train a falcon to attack them. I just know that somewhere out there some evil genius kid is modifying his model rocket as a drone interceptor. It's the American way. (-:
--
Bobby G.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:48:40 -0400, "Robert Green"

Sadly, you have proven you didn't have to pass an IQ test to post.
<stuff snipped>

Oh, look! Little Gordy is trying to stand on his hind legs like a human being!!! How cute!
Does anyone have a Milkbone for his reward? Make sure it's a plain white one 'cause I don't think he likes the colored ones very much. (-:
Such a cute little doggie, trying to insult my intelligence when he doesn't even know that a "not guilty" verdict doesn't mean "innocent." Now "sit" Gordy. Good boy! Now roll over.
--
Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

Monthy Python fans might remember this cat license sketch:
Man: You are a looney. Praline: Look, it's a bleeding pet, isn't it? I've got a license for me pet dog Eric, and I've got a license for me pet cat Eric... Man: You don't need a license for your cat. Praline: I bleeding well do and I got one. He can't be called Eric without it-- Man: There's no such thing as a bloody cat license. Praline: Yes there is! Man: Isn't! Praline: Is! Man: Isn't! Praline: I bleeding got one, look! What's that then? Man: This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and 'cat' written in, in crayon. Praline: The man didn't have the right form. Man: What man? Praline: The man from the cat detector van. Man: The looney detector van, you mean.
I am sure I posted this before about real loons: A westerner was talking to a 60 Minutes reporter about how the Federal government was just a nuisance to farmers and the various EPA edicts were made by people in Washington who had very little hands on experience with the problems of farmers and ranchers out West. He was actually making a pretty convincing case until he started to explain that the tiny metalllic strip that had just (at that time) been added to US currency was there so that the Feds could track every cash transaction by satelite.
Another time, when I was running cable to a CB antenna I was installing on the roof of my *garden* apartment (not a plant in sight!) a woman leaned out of her kitchen window and said "I know what you're doing, you're building a wire trap for me!"
Why right here in AHR we have someone who routines complains about the tracking chip the government put in his back. More likely his family stuck a pet tracking collar on him so they can find him in case he wanders away from his rubber room. (-:
--
Bobby G.

On 7/18/2013 9:09 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I seem to recall small blimps in the air over London during WWII to tangle up low flying enemy aircraft. You could claim to be a ham radio operator and use big balloons to string wire above your property keeping it below the altitude that maned aircraft are required to maintain over homes and cities. I found this on line:
Low Flying Rules in the US
In the US, Part 91 (specifically 91.119[4]) of the Federal Aviation Regulations controls the minimum safe altitudes by which aircraft can be operated in the National Airspace System.
500 ft rule An aircraft must maintain an altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
1000 ft rule An aircraft must maintain an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.
Other aircraft, such as helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft, are not required to meet the FAR 91 minimums, so long as their operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface.
TDD
<stuff snipped>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_balloon
A barrage balloon is a large balloon tethered with metal cables, used to defend against low-level aircraft attack by damaging the aircraft on collision with the cables, or at least making the attacker's approach more difficult. Some versions carried small explosive charges that would be pulled up against the aircraft to ensure its destruction.* Barrage balloons were only employed against low-flying aircraft; the weight of the longer cable made them impractical for higher altitudes.
*That had to be a nasty sound, when the aircrew heard the cable snag and then "twang" until the bang.
--
Bobby G.

I was driving in the desert, actually govt. land. F4 buzzed me. Scared the shit.
Greg

I was driving under a C5A Galaxy just after they had enlarged a runaway at Andrews AFB to accommodate them. The pilot was coming in too low and had to go to full thrust for a go-round. Holy mother of God. The sky went dark and my teeth started rattling. The only thing that even approached that was when a flight of six Hueys passed low overhead. Good thing the Seals didn't have to try to sneak up on Osama in a formation of Hueys.
I remember watching the helicopter assault scene in Apocalypse Now and thinking to myself that they failed to capture the earth-shaking awesomeness of the UH-1s arriving in force. A lot of guys, including some I know, owe their lives to the Huey medevac helicopters and the outrageously bold pilots who would tilt their choppers at an angle and use their rotor blades to clear enough vegatation to land if there wasn't a clear LZ. The VC had a nasty habit of studding out any potential LZ or previously used one with sharpened ten foot poles.
--
Bobby G.

On 7/20/2013 9:04 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Gotta admire the cleaver little bastards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Art_of_War_Running_Press.jpg
They even have a pint-sized version for smaller wars.
--
Bobby G.

What if the drone shoots back!!!!

It's not easy to shoot down drones. Low, they tend to go fast. High, well you know. I was in a drone battery in the army 70-71 . It was rare for a bunch of vulcans, firing 100 rounds per second, to hit a target. On some demo's someone would hit the Shute button, to make it look good.
Greg
harryagain;3093598 Wrote: > Colorado citizens considering a bounty for shooting down a drone.

> guardian.co.uk' (http://tinyurl.com/o3lp5ao )

Aww, Geez.
Now the NRA is gonna lobby for the legalization of Stinger antiaircraft missiles.
After all, the only protection against a crazy drone bent on doing harm is a public citizenry well armed with modern surface to air missiles.
http://tinyurl.com/nehc833
--
nestork