OT: Do You Believe In Coincidences?

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 8:16:16 PM UTC-4, bob_villa wrote:

around 6,000 population. One of the friends they made, turned-out to be nei ghbors (who they never knew) that lived directly behind them, across the al ley. They had a cyclone fence and shrubs...so, even as kids we never saw in side their yard!
When my daughter (let's call her Sue) graduated from college (350 miles fro m home) we went to the Parent's Reception the night before the ceremony. My daughter introduced to one of her classmates (Bob) a guy she had become friends with 4 years earlier when they first started college. They were on the Ultimate team together and hung out a lot. His home town is not too far from our home town, another suburb of our main city, but they met at colleg e and became friends.
Later that night, Bob introduced us to his parents and we sat together for coffee and small talk. After a while Bob's mother told my wife that she see med really familiar. "Maybe we've met before?" They tried to come up with a com mon activity, job, etc. They finally kept going further and further back in tim e until they found the connection:
Bob and Sue had been in the same pre-school class when they were 3 & 4 year s old. They *thought* they had met in college 350 miles from home, but in reality they were "friends" from almost 20 years prior.
Spooky!
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 20:06:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Six degrees of Kevin Bacon!
On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 8:30:59 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

ng around 6,000 population. One of the friends they made, turned-out to be neighbors (who they never knew) that lived directly behind them, across the alley. They had a cyclone fence and shrubs...so, even as kids we never saw inside their yard!

I'm not getting your point.
There is only 1 degree of separation. The kids knew each other ~15 years be fore they "met" at college. The parents (us) also knew each other (and the kids) way back then.
On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 17:44:20 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Six degrees of KB was a game where you figured our how you were somehow "connected" to Kevin Bacon thru no more then six layers of friend, relatives, or other connections (both bought a car from LaBrea Chevy in Hollywood) to him. Surprisingly many people were able to make a connection.
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 4:21:12 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

being around 6,000 population. One of the friends they made, turned-out to be neighbors (who they never knew) that lived directly behind them, across the alley. They had a cyclone fence and shrubs...so, even as kids we never saw inside their yard!

he kids) way back then.

I know what 6D of KB refers to. What I don't know is why you brought it up in this instance.
I was discussing a situation where childhood friends reconnected after ~15 years but didn't know it until their parents told them after figuring it out 4 years after t he kids reconnected.
How is 6D of KB relevant to this situation?
On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:02:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

It's all coincidence.
On 10/09/2015 08:07 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What's the odds they snapped an image of a place where I've lived for over 25 years and got a car that looks just like mine? Oh, wait a minute, it is mine. I took the Harley to work that day.
Those guys get around. They're currently looking for people to hump a backpack model around the back country.
On 10/10/2015 12:04 AM, rbowman wrote:

Google has done a good job with the maps. The navigation system in my car is Google powered and has good maps and accurate signs. Even when not using nav, the HUD shows me the speed limit of the road I am on. In most cases, if the speed limit changes, the display in the car changes within a few feet of the pole by the road.

Does the car automatically adjust speed?

<stuff snipped>

It will someday soon when autonomous vehicles are the rule and not the exception.
A long, long time ago I read a scifi story about two kids who modify a self-driving car in the future to grossly exceed the speed limit and the subsequent crash at high speed kills someone. They question the kids to find out how they did it. Turns out one kid was responsible for hacking into the car's controller and the other kid was just along for the ride.
They give the first kid a job in the Electronics Ministry and they put they kid who was just along for the ride to death.
--
Bobby G.

On 10/10/2015 05:37 PM, Robert Green wrote:

Back in the day when Ma Bell owned all the telephone equipment some promising young engineering students in the dorms built their own PBX with all the bells and whistles plus 2600 style phreaking. Rumor had they were offered jobs by Ma right after they got kicked out of school.

Captain Crunchers. School seems to just be a bother for some of these guys. I don't think Snowden had much formal education but he certainly was a force to be reckoned with.
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 20:47:43 -0600, rbowman

I forget what Charles Percy, later a US Senator, did for money in college, but he was making a lot of it. The U of C told him, "You're just the kind of person we don't want here. "
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:29:25 -0700, Oren

I hope she's okay.

Did I miss a post? What did you do?
On 10/10/2015 6:34 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

It will if you are following another car. It will adjust to keep the distance between. Not just get off the gas, but apply the brakes. You can follow a car doing 75 off the highway, down the ramp at 25 and accelerate again on the next road.
It can also be set to stay between the lines if you drift. It can follow a curve hands free. I think I may have posted this before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ZhGKi5F3g
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 07:07:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

You fail to admit that you miss working at that McDonalds so much, that you spend a few hours every day driving around the street that it sits on..... You might even be doing this in your sleep and not realize it. That's because Ronald McDonald owns your soul!
Answer this: How many times per day do you crave a Big Mac?
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 2:17:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@summerof69.com wrote:

It would have to be a long sleep. I now live close to 500 miles from that McDs.

McDoubles, no pickles, no ketchup.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 07:07:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The odds are high.
Tonight on NBC TV news, they had a story about two Korean ophans, sisters, from 40 years ago, so they weren't war ophans, just regular orphans.
And they were each adopted by American families, but different ones.
One lived in Kentucky, the other in Virginia.
But they both moved to Sarasota Florida. They were both nurses and they got jobs at the same hospital, same floor, same shift. They used to eat lunch together and hang out
One day they talked about before they were adopted and their names were changed, and one asked the other what her family name was, and she said Shin. And the first said, My name was Shin.
"The coincidences began stacking up immediately: Korea, the missing family, “abandonment” listed on orphanage paperwork, adoption to Americans. “Holly would come up to me and say something like ‘Guess what? Meagan’s maiden name was the same as mine,’” says Bennett. “I thought, well, that’s interesting, but I still wasn’t getting it.”
Meagan and Holly would go to lunch together, meet after work, and compare notes on their dramatic similarities. Holly: “I was like, this is too good to be true. I said we’ve got to do the DNA test, it’s the only way we’ll get the truth out of the whole thing.” Holly ordered DNA kits from Canada and the orphans did mouth swabs. Holly dispatched the samples to Canada in early August.
The lab results returned to Holly via email on the afternoon on Aug. 17. She was on jury duty. The match was positive.
“I’m like, this can’t be,” Holly recalls. “I was trembling, I was so excited, I was ecstatic.” Holly called the lab for verbal confirmation. Then she texted Meagan. Meagan didn’t reply immediately. Holly called the fourth floor, shared the news, left the message for Meagan. And she reached out again."
Actually, you have to read the article. It tells it better than I can.
http://extra.heraldtribune.com/2015/10/10/orphaned-sisters-reunite-while-working-on-same-floor-at-sarasota-hospital/ It ends with some other short examples.
https://www.google.com/search?q=korean+orphan+nurses+sarasota+sisters&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I know that genetics is important. My friend raised by his mother and the brother raised by his father both have the high-end audio gene, and both buy Marantz amplifiers. Just kidding.
<stuff snipped>

I saw that! What went through my mind is "didn't they realize how much alike they looked?" As soon as I saw the tease for the item during a preceding commercial break I noticed how much they looked like each other.
--
Bobby G.

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:52:34 -0400, "Robert Green"

No, they don't look alike, not at all. They had different mothers. You must have looked at two other people. In some (all?) views of one of them she doesn't even look Asian.
P&M because this is really important!
Years ago I saw another story about a girl and her mother reunited, who also took a while to recognize they were related. One was a grocery cashier and the other a customer and they met that way.