OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

Page 3 of 6

wrote in message

FWIW, TY, I stand corrected. I made a statement that it would be no big deal if it stripped a timing belt, not being aware of the valve interface issue. When I worked on cars as a youth, you could set the points with a matchbook cover, and I could have the heads off a 283 Chevy V8 in less than an hour. Things have changed.
Steve
Visit my site at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

I replaced mine well before its time because I needed a new water pump and since belt was off the only extra cost was price of a new belt. I'm no mechanic but believe on some vehicles, a broken belt can be disastrous but on others it is not. If yours is one that could have a problem if the belt breaks, I'd probably do it now.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:48:43 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wait for the belt to fail. It's your nickel, but I'd rather replace it sooner than replace the engine.

While I am of the "do it at 90K" opinion, no one has addressed the fact that more than one independent repair shop - one of which I recommended because they've treated me right in the past - said to wait.
Why would they give up a job - and risk their reputation - when they have every "right" to just point at the manual and say "replace it at 90K"? Why push off a job now that they might not get a year from now?

While I am of the "do it at 90K" opinion, no one has addressed the fact that more than one independent repair shop - one of which I recommended because they've treated me right in the past - said to wait.
Why would they give up a job - and risk their reputation - when they have every "right" to just point at the manual and say "replace it at 90K"? Why push off a job now that they might not get a year from now?
================ Because they'll say anything to get rid of a customer who wastes their time with pointless attempts to predict the future. People like that cost them money.

It's a good question why they would say that. If a mechanic told me not to replace a timing belt that the manufacturer says to replace at 90K because the mechanic has not seen one fail before 110K, I'd get a new mechanic. The guy is an obvious idiot. To me, knowing that you've seen them fail at 110K, 90K sounds like the appropriate place to change it.
Or how lucky do you feel today? As others have pointed out, it also makes a big difference if the engine design is interference free or not. If it is, then failure just means a tow, which by itself could be bad enough, depending on when it happens and the resulting consequences and costs. Also, since in this case apparently the car will be kept for significantly longer, but not long enough to require a second belt, the only apparent advantage in delaying is if something else were to happen to the car, eg totalled in a wreck or other repair that could be done at same time, that would impact on this decision.

It's a good question why they would say that. If a mechanic told me not to replace a timing belt that the manufacturer says to replace at 90K because the mechanic has not seen one fail before 110K, I'd get a new mechanic. The guy is an obvious idiot. To me, knowing that you've seen them fail at 110K, 90K sounds like the appropriate place to change it.
Or how lucky do you feel today? As others have pointed out, it also makes a big difference if the engine design is interference free or not. If it is, then failure just means a tow, which by itself could be bad enough, depending on when it happens and the resulting consequences and costs. Also, since in this case apparently the car will be kept for significantly longer, but not long enough to require a second belt, the only apparent advantage in delaying is if something else were to happen to the car, eg totalled in a wreck or other repair that could be done at same time, that would impact on this decision. =============== "failure just means a tow"? Maybe.
Imagine suddenly NOT having engine power to maneuver around some sort of hazard. That could be fun.
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:59:02 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I've had it happen while passing once - it was a bit of a strange experience because there was so much wind noise (I had the roof down) that I couldn't hear the engine running anyway, so in the first instant it wasn't obvious what the fault was until I saw the tacho needle sitting at zero.
Turned out to be a broken wire to the coil; I was back on the road within five minutes after a temporary fix. Fortunately there was a big enough gap behind the line of cars that I was passing at the time that I could tuck in behind them when the engine died and then park up off the roadside.
cheers
Jules
On Jun 16, 10:08am, Jules Richardson

I had a 1980 Mustang that had a bad Computer Module. I'd be humming along at highway speeds and the car would just shut down. Boom! All gauges to zero.
Slip her into neutral, re-start, and keep on cruising. I got so quick at it, I barely lost any speed.

Imagine if you had the slightest clue how the conversation went.
It was my friend who told the mechanic that the timing belt was on the dealer's 90K replacement list and he asked for quote to replace it.
It was the mechanic who replied that 90K was too early. The tranny fluid change made sense, replacing the spark plugs was probably a good idea, valve adjustments if there was any chatter, but changing the timing belt was not needed.
It other words it was the mechanic(s) who made the "pointless attempt to predict the future".

Imagine if you had the slightest clue how the conversation went.
It was my friend who told the mechanic that the timing belt was on the dealer's 90K replacement list and he asked for quote to replace it.
It was the mechanic who replied that 90K was too early. The tranny fluid change made sense, replacing the spark plugs was probably a good idea, valve adjustments if there was any chatter, but changing the timing belt was not needed.
It other words it was the mechanic(s) who made the "pointless attempt to predict the future". =========== I know. You should read slower.
<...snipped...>

Speaking from over 30 years experience in vehicle and mobile equipment maintenance, the likely translation of this is "I don't own the special tools that would enable me to do the job quickly enough to make any money at a price competitive with a shop that DOES own the tools.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
On Jun 15, 6:27pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

That may be the case, but my friend got the same answer from more than one shop, including the one that I trust...the one that I am sure can handle that job with ease.

That may be the case, but my friend got the same answer from more than one shop, including the one that I trust...the one that I am sure can handle that job with ease. ============ And my excellent mechanic says "Are you a gambler? Will you be staying close to home until the belt fails? Then don't replace it."
He's 100% correct to ask these questions.

Um... Possibly because they would rather have the bigger job of rebuilding your engine when it fails?...
IMO, even if they are correct that they've never seen one fail before 110K, that would make 90K about the right time to change it...IF it's an interference engine.
If it's not, then there's relatively little danger in waiting and a significant chance that if you spend the money now, the car will suffer some other catastrophic failure (that won't be wirth fixing) before the belt would have failed, making it a waste.
You still haven't said what kind of car. Aside from the interference issue, what car makes a big difference in how big of a project it is to change the belt. They might be thinking that will have some other reason to tear the engine apart soon and you might as well do the belt then...
Just a few (contradictory) thoughts...

Um... Possibly because they would rather have the bigger job of rebuilding your engine when it fails?...
IMO, even if they are correct that they've never seen one fail before 110K, that would make 90K about the right time to change it...IF it's an interference engine.
If it's not, then there's relatively little danger in waiting and a significant chance that if you spend the money now, the car will suffer some other catastrophic failure (that won't be wirth fixing) before the belt would have failed, making it a waste.
You still haven't said what kind of car. Aside from the interference issue, what car makes a big difference in how big of a project it is to change the belt. They might be thinking that will have some other reason to tear the engine apart soon and you might as well do the belt then...
Just a few (contradictory) thoughts...
================= You must live where it never snows for real. Either that or you have a strange definition of "fun", like breaking down when plows are passing by every 20 minutes to bury the road shoulders in snow.

Actually, I believe it's snowed here twice in recorded history, but you make a good point... :)

Actually, I believe it's snowed here twice in recorded history, but you make a good point... :)
=========== To make my point more interesting: Not keeping your car running well could make you dead for 6 months of the year around here. :-)
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:57:56 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

:-) It'd be like that here (well, 4 months of the year anyway), if we didn't make sure we always had food, blankets etc. in the trunk during snow season.
On 6/15/2010 10:48 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How lucky is your friend? Thats what it really comes down to since the so called interference design is very commonly used. That means the pistons can contact the valves if the engine goes out of basic time. At that point unless it is a valuable car you sign the line on the title that says "dispose as salvage" and leave it on the dash.