OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

Actually, I believe it's snowed here twice in recorded history, but you make a good point... :)

============

To make my point more interesting: Not keeping your car running well could make you dead for 6 months of the year around here. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Jay-T

------------------------------------

Have to agree timing belts etc. don't often, it seems, fail?.

But one consideration might be; is this an 'interference' engine or not.

I understand from a relative much more auto skilled than I that if the timing belt and/or chain breaks that with an interference engine great damage can occur as valves get struck by pistons etc.

But would it not be better to place this enquiry on an auto news group. Although the crowd here are very competent and knowledgeable about many things!

Not sure what your warranty schedule is but if it's one of those

120,000 miles or summat. and one has NOT done the recommended maintenance!!!! Not that one has any great faith in dealers!

Good luck with the decision. Personally we run a vehicle as long as possible that it's reliable and safe.

I must redo some of those calculations about poor car buying/owning habits which cause one to spend more on motor vehicles than one does on one's house! e.g. buying new and tradinng in every few years again for new. I have aneighbour like that; cost him a fortune, just because "the wife wants a NEW car". And except in rare cases autos don't have much if any residual value while a house may even increase in value????

Come to think; when I go to live on my boat I may not need a vehicle at all! That'll be relief!

Reply to
terry

Yeah, and why he's at it, he should also get the AC compressor and the alternator replaced. (rolling eyes).

Reply to
Ron

Yeah, and why he's at it, he should also get the AC compressor and the alternator replaced. (rolling eyes).

============

On what planet would the AC compressor make your **necessarily** car stop running? The word "necessarily" eliminates mentioning the one exceptional condition under which it might happen, because that situation is avoidable by operating a switch.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You obviously missed the point. No comment on the alternator? What about the power steering pump...should he get that replaced also?

Reply to
Ron

when the a/c clutch on my vette seized, it was either run it and have it catch fire because the serpentine belt was being dragged over a stopped pulley, or get it towed. that would pretty much define 'stop running'.

Reply to
chaniarts

You obviously missed the point. No comment on the alternator? What about the power steering pump...should he get that replaced also? ==================

I just checked my manual and found no manufacturer-recommended replacement intervals for the items you mentioned. Therefore, they are not in the same category as an item which DOES come with such recommendations.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In my former car, a Taurus, it meant "turn off the AC" and things were fine. So, it all depends.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

.

I can't even remember that last time I had a water pump fail....probably sometime in the early 80's on a Celia that had about

150K on it.

Spending money just to be spending is stupid, And most of the shops use aftermarket parts which end up failing before the factory part would have anyway.

Oh, and I just checked the owners manuals for my Honda, Toyota, and Mazda...and there is ZIPPO about replacing the water pump. I suggest you buy a better car.

Reply to
Ron

..

Oh....now it all depends.

Reply to
Ron

I can't even remember that last time I had a water pump fail....probably sometime in the early 80's on a Celia that had about

150K on it.

Spending money just to be spending is stupid, And most of the shops use aftermarket parts which end up failing before the factory part would have anyway.

Oh, and I just checked the owners manuals for my Honda, Toyota, and Mazda...and there is ZIPPO about replacing the water pump. I suggest you buy a better car.

==========

I own a Toyota Tacoma. What would you suggest I buy instead?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

.

Well if it REALLY says to replace the water pump, I would ignore it. But hey, that's just me.

Reply to
Ron

Speaking from over 30 years experience in vehicle and mobile equipment maintenance, the likely translation of this is "I don't own the special tools that would enable me to do the job quickly enough to make any money at a price competitive with a shop that DOES own the tools.

Reply to
Larry W

The water pump replacement depends on the car. Some Toyotas have the water pump under the timing belt and you have to remove all the stuff anyway. Might as well spend an extra $ 100 while inside the motor. If you only got

150 K miles out of the water pump that means your pump may fail 30 K miles or so before you go back into the moter for the timing belt. Timing belts fail and leave you stranded. The alternator can go out and usually you can still drive for a short distance. If the AC compressor fails, you just get hot and it can be repaired at any time. Some cars break the timing belt and the valves hit the pistons and you are in for major expenses.

Why change oil? Just add some if needed..

I had a Toyota with enough miles on it to replace the belt the second time. I did not change it as the trade in value was only about what the belt change would have been. I had decided if it failed to just let the car go to the junk yard. It did last long enough that I bought a new truck. I sold the car to a co-worker. I did tell him the belt ws about 20 K miles overdue and if he did not change it right away not to ask for a refund. My mechanic wanted to change the water pump and he showed me why. I let him. He only uses parts made by the makers of the cars he works on for major parts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:6739e713-05c4-463b-a348- snipped-for-privacy@d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Just one. And it's a question. Well, two questions.

1) WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THIS? 2) WHAT ENGINE HAS IT GOT

Not all cars are the same. Not all engines are the same. Not all years of the same car and/or engine are the same.

Leave out that info and all you'll get are possibly bogus guesses; shots in the dark.

Reply to
Tegger

My 1990 Dodge caraven with 3.0 engine served me well for about 450,000 miles. It was sad when I finally replaced it.

The only bad problem was transmissions went thru 7 or 8 rebulds: ( Fortunately I had made a good buy and had a AAMCO lifetime rebuild.

considering how much I drive fpor my small business it did a excellent job, I replaced it with another caravan.

Reply to
hallerb

Are you "Honda Tegger"?

Reply to
Ron

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Si, Senor.

Reply to
Tegger

lt was on the

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(H L Mencken)

That may be the case, but my friend got the same answer from more than one shop, including the one that I trust...the one that I am sure can handle that job with ease.

Reply to
DerbyDad03